Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
99 alero

http://kenai.craigslist.org/cto/2380958771.html

Fingers crossed that it's the ld9. If it is I'm not sure what I will do with it. probably take the tranny out and put it in mine or rebuild the engine and sell. It'd be sweet to have 2 alero's though. Any other ideas?
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
based on the options it has that i can see from the pics i'm going to say its a v6
Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
overpriced.........
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I dunno if it's overpriced for Alaskan market but I wouldn't buy any broken V6, IMHO.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yeah I fogot he was in alaska. I would buy a broken v6, but for a 99 everything else had to be in good condition and I wouldn't pay more than $500, better price around here would be $200-$300
Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
the_weber
GL Member

In alaska that car repaired is worth 3500
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

for me flipping a car I like to make a minimum $1000 for my time so if you can sell it for $3500 then it would probably be worth is. A whole top end rebuild could easily be done for $300........
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
for me flipping a car I like to make a minimum $1000 for my time so if you can sell it for $3500 then it would probably be worth is. A whole top end rebuild could easily be done for $300........

How much time you think it would take me?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
really you'd have to check out the car because "the engine gave up" could mean anything. maybe the fuel pump died or something stupid.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
No kidding, go down and see that the connector on the crank pos sensor is off. I could see this scenerio, you go look at it, you see the problem. You talk them down a little bit from the 1K they want and get it for ~750. They ask you when the tow truck will be there to pick the car up, and you say, "no need for that". You go outside, connect the wire, start the car, and drive it home. The look on their faces would surely be priceless!
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
ive seen people do that people, seen someone buy a car for $400 spend 15 minutes on it and leave the driveway with it
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
the_weber
GL Member

Well the owner says it made a bunch of noise, some pieces fell out the bottom, and it needs a new engine.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
aah the sweet sound of throwing a rod through the block
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
the_weber
GL Member

rofl you just made my day. + rep good sir
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

If you have pieces that fell out of the bottom, I would do a full inspection first. Worst case scenario you lose the gas money to go look at it. If it is a full motor swap, you need to find a suitable low mileage motor in the area for a decent price. If you can't find one, obviously don't buy the alero!

The motor being completely blown (supposedly) could actually be better as it takes less mechanical inclination to swap a motor, verus rebuilding the top end with headgaskets, intake gaskets, valve seals, etc......
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
the_weber
GL Member

So gonna talk here down (looking at it in an hour) to $500. So worse case scenario I replace the engine ($750 for a used on with 80k) and sell the one I have now for a profit of around $1500-$2000. Anything I can say about the car to try to lower the price?

Also anyone on here do a writeup or could tell me the easiest way to pull and replace the engine? Thanks