Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-18-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Exhaust question...

Hi! to all, i got an Alero 2001 4doors V6 & wanted to get a "Dual" exhaust with two mufflers (Dynomax Turbo) more than single Camaro type muffler...

I saw some Youtube video & the "dual" exhaust with two mufflers sound much better IMO as i am looking for a muscle car type of sound more than anything else

Here are two Youtube Video the first one is more the sound i wanted at idle anyway...
Dual exhaust/mufflers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cAS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f69lWs0OJPI

Single muffler with dual out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f315H...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr06...eature=related

Hear the difference?

Unless some one here can tell me what kind/type of a muffler with single in & dual out (Camaro type muffler) can do the same sound as two mufflers with dual exhaust i am all for it as it would be a cheaper buy...

One thing i am confused about is the Y-pipes does it start at the Cat (Cat back?) & then double exhaust up to the mufflers or is the Y-pipes start in the back right before the dual mufflers , like the dual exhaust of GA GT?

Thx!

Last edited by Goodman : 05-18-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
could be either way, what most people do is just buy the mufflers they want, go to an exhaust shop and have a setup custom made
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
If you put a y pipe right after the cat it will hang down below the car because that is not how our exhaust tunnel is shaped. However, you can y it after is comes over the rear axle. You can clearly see this is how it is setup in the second video.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Goodman
GX Member

Wow! fast reply's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
could be either way, what most people do is just buy the mufflers they want, go to an exhaust shop and have a setup custom made

Yeah! i know both method will work fine but was looking for the better bad @ss sound, a bit like a V8 engine & not a "girly" buzzing sound with a 4" muffler totally ridiculous IMO...

As for a muffler shop... i doubt i needed , as i got a garage with 110v/220v & a good friend that is a welder by profession but i still don't have welding equipment yet , so will see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
If you put a y pipe right after the cat it will hang down below the car because that is not how our exhaust tunnel is shaped. However, you can y it after is comes over the rear axle. You can clearly see this is how it is setup in the second video.

That is more the answer i was looking for , thanks!
So like the Grand Am GT (see the pic)

Not sure if it is original exhaust system on the GA GT but that how it should be done , i just wanted to be sure before i start the project

I may try at junk yard see if maybe the have a good y-pipes for grand am GT...?
Cheaper the better (in price that is)

Worst case scenario ill go with single muffler with dual out but it got to be loud & sound good... any suggestions?

Last edited by Goodman : 03-21-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
I have a flowmaster dual out and it sounds nice, people think it sounds like a V8 at idle.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Hmmmm. I was told by 3 shops that this couldn't be done

And you seemed to have missed a video on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n5QqNYpxS4

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
I have flowmaster 80 series and i like the way it sounds. Exhaust sounds good Redog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EKY4UpLkBY
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.

Last edited by JLw7123 : 05-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
It CAN be done, but i personally think the exhaust hanging below the rear axle/suspension is ghetto.....
Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
That is more the answer i was looking for , thanks!
So like the Grand Am GT (see the pic)

That's the setup off an old (92-98) Grand Am. The 99-05 isn't like that.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
Goodman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Hmmmm. I was told by 3 shops that this couldn't be done

And you seemed to have missed a video on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n5QqNYpxS4

I did see this video & many more i didn't want to post every Youtube video on here

First i got to say that it sound nice but , i wouldn't have put/welded the y-pipe backward , i am pretty sure if you take out the muffler on the right side the pipe will suck air in & go out in the other muffler true the Y-pipe or making the air going like a tornado inside the Y-pipe?

As i see the pic i am sure the Y-pipe could be place the correct way & just bend a bit more/differently the other two pipes going true the mufflers or use a smaller/different Y-pipe (see pics)
Anyhow thanks! for the pics , i now know where i can put a Y-pipe & where to route the pipes if & when ill do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
That's the setup off an old (92-98) Grand Am. The 99-05 isn't like that.
Doesn't matter much if i can get one at the junk yard for cheap i could cut out the Y from the pipe & use it , but maybe some other time because i now decided to go single muffler with dual out for now it will be cheaper & easier to do

Does Dynomax Turbo make one that have dual out & fit my pipe size?

BTW: what is the pipe size in the back of the Alero before muffler?

Thx!

Last edited by Goodman : 03-21-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the "Y" pipe is backwards on my exhaust, but it doesn't hurt flow as much as you would think. The car still ran the same 1/4 mile times with this set-up vs the flowmaster 80

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Goodman
GX Member

Quote:
Yes the "Y" pipe is backwards on my exhaust, but it doesn't hurt flow as much as you would think. The car still ran the same 1/4 mile times with this set-up vs the flowmaster 80

I hope i didn't offend you , that was not my intention , i am glad that it's working good for you this way
Anyhow like i said before it sound pretty good & thanks! again for showing me some pictures of the underneath of the car , i appreciated

Last edited by Goodman : 05-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Offened? No way

I know the "Y" pipe is on backwards and everything. It almost acts like an "H" pipe. H pipe duals has a deeper tone than X pipe duals, but X pipes are better for flow

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Goodman
GX Member

Redog i went to see a few of your videos from Youtube & saw this one...

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedogOnyx#p/u/7/1wWhFDbnw_w

At first i thought that the gray/silver Alero had a V8 in it until i read the description ,love the sound of it

Did you see these ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1v-2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqYdpgV4oA

Both are V6 60* but one is the 3500 i love to see/hear the sound of it , i just F ! love it

BTW:Any of you guys knows anything about a guy that modified an Alero to be RWD With a V8 using an S10 pick-up frame?
I would like to see pictures of that , more so because i got an old 1992 S10 pick-up in my backward doing nothing...

Last edited by Goodman : 05-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

There are 2 that I know of.

The one guy swapped the entire car over to an S-10 frame, dropped in a pretty cheesey V8 and the car ran high 14's, pretty much the same 1/4 mile times that I do with the V6

The other one is a white with pink stripes Alero 442, don't know much about it, but some guys do. Search first, and if there is no threads about it, start one! I really can't remember if there is a thread on here for that or not.

There is also a guy that swapped a LSx motor into a Grand Am, making over 300 horse at the rear wheels

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Goodman
GX Member

Quote:
There are 2 that I know of.

The one guy swapped the entire car over to an S-10 frame, dropped in a pretty cheesey V8 and the car ran high 14's, pretty much the same 1/4 mile times that I do with the V6

The other one is a white with pink stripes Alero 442, don't know much about it, but some guys do. Search first, and if there is no threads about it, start one! I really can't remember if there is a thread on here for that or not.

There is also a guy that swapped a LSx motor into a Grand Am, making over 300 horse at the rear wheels

I searched so many times (not on here) using Google search the only thing i could find was that some guy did it using a S10 frame but i couldn't find any pictures or video of it , must be a myth?

Anyways back on topic , ill start by changing my Cat for the high flow one (magnaflow i think?) it is cheap $79.xx but not sure if i will install it myself afraid of rusted bolts & the only torch i got is this one --->http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm not sure it would be hot enough to cut bolt?

Also since it is cheaper then buying an "original/regular" cat would it last as long or would it only last for about 3 years or so?

Last edited by Goodman : 05-21-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Anything other that a GM cat is going to trip a P0420 code.

The DS O2 sensor can be deleted or put an O2 sim in there. The sims are very hard to find now since the EPA cracked down on them

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anything other that a GM cat is going to trip a P0420 code.

WTF? Since when? I've been running several different aftermarket CATs over the past 5 years with NO troubles... am I just special? Even with S/C my emissions are fine. Just note that in some cases a sensor bung will need to be installed as going without a sensor IS a problem.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Well, you should make sure it's an OBD II certified converter. The aftermarkets don't seem to last as long... I get so many people coming in to get their codes read that have P0420 that "just had the converter replaced last year".

I guess there's a reason the converter was $49.95.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #20
Goodman
GX Member

Redog... do you know what kind of muffler that the guy got on his sylver Alero?

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedogOnyx#p/u/7/1wWhFDbnw_w

I am in the process of making some phone calls & visit a few garage/muffler shop during this week in order to know how much it's going to cost me for the job & parts or for only the muffler/s , can't ask them how much for a muffler if i don't know which one it is...

So far i came down to 3 choices...(lots of Youtube video lol!)

1- 2x Dynomax (Turbo?) mufflers with Y-pipes
2- 1x Magnaflow single in dual out
3- 2x Flowtech Afterburner with Y-pipes (or 1 with single in & dual out?)

Maybe a fourth option would be the sylver Alero muffler if it's not the same as the 3 a picked?

Thx!

BTW:Already cut my plastic bumper for some nice dual pipe & it looks good , not to surprising since i always check/measure twice & do it once