Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Battery Leaking Acid

So as the title says I have gone through three batteries this year alone. I have a issue with the battery leaking acid and bowing on the sides of it. Also the battery will only stay charged for a matter of a few days and I cannot figure out for the life of me what is causing this. My voltage gauge reads steady at 13.6-14.1 at all times too.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / 60lb Injectors / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
Have you checked all the connections? Possible ground fault?
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It's overcharging somewhere, or cheap batteries

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFire316 View Post
Have you checked all the connections? Possible ground fault?

I did cut the ground from the body to the battery and replaced it with a heavier gauge. The reason I had done that is because I was having a issue before and it didn't seem to help. Does anyone have a better place to ground the battery then battery to body? The battery I am using is a Exide from Belle Tire and they have been nice enough to replace them under warranty each time.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / 60lb Injectors / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
I would think an engine ground is better, but a soild ground to the frame (or frame rail in a unibody) would be just as good

Maybe it's those batteries, IDK

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
could also check the charging system, I see you say its showing 14.1V which is right around where it should be but I wouldnt rule it out entirely.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
what do you have for aftermarket equipment hooked to the battery (such as an amp) that might becausing a short to ground. also... your saying you never got the original ground to work properly and just replaced with with a bigger cable? taht only be hiding your issue.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I would think an engine ground is better, but a soild ground to the frame (or frame rail in a unibody) would be just as good

Maybe it's those batteries, IDK

What part of the engine would be a good place to put the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFire316 View Post
could also check the charging system, I see you say its showing 14.1V which is right around where it should be but I wouldnt rule it out entirely.
Yeah I am also wondering if it is the alternator putting out false readings and causing the battery to overcharge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
what do you have for aftermarket equipment hooked to the battery (such as an amp) that might becausing a short to ground. also... your saying you never got the original ground to work properly and just replaced with with a bigger cable? taht only be hiding your issue.
I have nothing attached to the battery as far as after market stuff goes.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
why not go to advance and have them test your charging system?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

^ I didn't think to do that.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
At first I agreed with "Cheap Battery" as ken said.. however I believe exide makes a decent battery. Def have the alt checked and see what its putting out.

There are more tests to do, of course, though they would require a GM Tech II scan tool and those morons at advance would not have one of those: they wouldn't be able to work it, anyways.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

how would you use a techII to diag a charging system? iv never had to use one. unless it was a no charge issue so im curious.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

It depends on the block.

If it's all alluinum block you'll have to go to the frame or frame rail, but a iron block gives a great ground.

On the 3400, it would be anyplace on the bottom end

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
how would you use a techII to diag a charging system? iv never had to use one. unless it was a no charge issue so im curious.

I have never used one either! But we have one. I use the bitty, cheapo scanner. The tech II and other make-specific scanners dig out a huge amount of info from the cars; practically has a graph and testing modes for everything. It was an educated guess that it would help - at least with some stored, vehicle specific fault codes, perhaps. It was an educated guess
Our guys had to go through training to use it and our Ford, Chrysler, and vag com scanners and they still find new features every day!