Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #41
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFire316 View Post
with the # of head gasket failures you've had, u have no concern of bearing failure?
Any time the head gasket has been an issue I've immediately stopped driving and repaired it. It's getting new bearings now since the bottom end is apart, so it doesn't matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
DAMN WTF ????

Holy cow .. I just ran out of words. That is a tremendous head ... welding

Man this really sucks. Especially cause I looked at your car and said -- hmm ok, whats with it?? At the last Alero Stravaganza

Man I feel like a moron now.
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
But why did you run so much boost? Never thought of making the hole system work together as one piece?
Because it can handle it... (in this case, there was previous head damage that I left unattended, and I also messed it up when I did a cold run)... it won't happen ever again when it gets back together.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
I just got done doing the head gaskets on my LT1 and ill tell u this, i hope to never have to do it again, terrible job to do.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #43
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's horrendous. Not looking forward to the reassembly. While the engine is out though I'll be able to clean up quite a few things and install my new firewall heat shield material and such.. and easily put on an A/C bypass pulley like I always wanted to..
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #44
AZFire316
GL Member

atleast you learned a lesson about cold start beatings (an expensive one) but i bet you wont try to "show off" again. I learned that lesson the expensive way as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #45
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
It's horrendous. Not looking forward to the reassembly. While the engine is out though I'll be able to clean up quite a few things and install my new firewall heat shield material and such.. and easily put on an A/C bypass pulley like I always wanted to..

have u found a head yet.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #46
[ion] C2
636 whp

sort of, one guy on JBO has one but he takes forever to communicate
Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #47
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
sort of, one guy on JBO has one but he takes forever to communicate

damn now are you going to put in new intake and exhaust valves like titanium or a valve that is stronger than stock.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #48
[ion] C2
636 whp

i don't have limitless money, i barely even have enough money for pistons/bearings and all the other stuff i need

and nothing was wrong with stock valvetrain.. i'm not revving any higher than stock and never plan to.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #49
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Damn Dude! Looks like you need a garage to do all that work!

I was going to say that! No way would I do that on the street!
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #50
[ion] C2
636 whp

Engine's finally out. Also helped out the guy who's going to be doing the work, so he's going to disassemble it for free. I'll have to pay for machining of course and for re-assembly probably. (Depends on how my labor hours spent on what I help them out with compare with how many labor hours they spent on my car.

They said my car was scary on the hoist because of all the rust issues with the body... the pinch weld frame rails have been getting so rusty lately and it needs to be addressed. Either finding a rust-free shell and swapping everything to it, or (what I originally planned) cutting out all the rusted sections and reinforcing everything with some welded in new steel. My friend can easily weld some serious square stock to reinforce the body.

I'll have to take a good look and see what needs to be done on it.. not happy about how much rust has affected things.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #51
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey C2, got to love GM's way of dealing with their rotting rocker issue 'eh? Can't stop it so we will cover them with plastic so you don't see it!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #52
[ion] C2
636 whp

Engine should be disassembled tomorrow..

I removed the A/C compressor and lines (finally) after I took this picture.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #53
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
sure would be a handy time to put in a 5-speed
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #54
[ion] C2
636 whp

i don't even have enough money to do this as it is. car is fine as is.

next up is fixing and maintaining the body's integrity.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #55
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I know I was just giving you crap as your car is so close to ready for the swap and I know you were planning on doing it at some point
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #56
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
5 speed swaps are for fun, they certainly aren't beneficial for the track.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #57
AZFire316
GL Member

One reason I'm glad I live in Nevada and not the NE or Midwest anymore, no rust issues on vehicles. And definatly get those issues taken care of, thats too nice of an Alero to let the elements destroy it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #58
[ion] C2
636 whp

Need to order .020" overbore pistons, meh.

Some pictures I took recently.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #59
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
5 speed swaps are for fun, they certainly aren't beneficial for the track.
WHAT??
Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
[ion] C2
636 whp

When it was previously built, it has been found it was done poorly. The person who assembled my engine has had 5 others fail and there is a lawsuit against the company who he worked for recently pertaining to that.

So here they're doing things the right way. Today it's going to Champion Performance for machining.

The block is being bored out .020", the deck will be machined to be nice and flat and smooth. The crank journals will be polished and the oil holes chamfered properly. The Eagle rods need to be machined to be round correctly as they are angled somewhat.. Eagle didn't make them right. Apparently they fixed that QC issue the year I bought mine.

Old pistons, saving them for paperweights.