Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Silver SLP
GX Member

Silver SLP is on a distinguished road
Intake Gaskets already!?

Well today I was pulling my car out of the garage, got out to close the door and I saw the puddle of coolant dripping... only 80,500 miles I popped the hood and there was a pool sitting on the transmission case too.

I had been filling the coolant reservoir a couple times a year (hardly lost any at all), but was hoping there was just some air in the cooling system. I would also hear some weird water sloshing sound during acceleration and could sometimes smell coolant, so I guess I knew it would happen sooner than later.

I had a '98 Lumina with the 3.1 do this during the same time of year about 4 years ago. That thing had 150,000 on it before it happened though.

Guess I'll put new plugs in too while I'm at it... it hasn't been above 0 degrees all week and it even got down to -50 with windchill!

Last edited by Silver SLP : 01-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Silver SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I think I did my LIM gasket at round the 25K miles mark.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
Silver SLP
GX Member

Wow that's crazy! I guess I'm lucky to have gotten this far!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
did mine at 230,xxx

2004 olds alero R.I.P 242,500
1995 f-150 5.0v8 5sp 143,xxx(redneck truck)
Now searching for a new Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
He no crazy, he WIALERO!!
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I might have to do this on my 3800 Camaro with 124K on it.... Not 100% sure if it is, because it keeps playing with my emotions, but knowing GM it's more or less gonna leave my car.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
I did mine at 142k and mine already had the fel pro gaskets. The previous mechanic of the car never used any loctite and bolts backed out. I did however fix the valve cover leak in the process along with the spark plugs, thermostat and wires cuz it's easy to get to then.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Silver SLP
GX Member

Well I decided to bring my car into a shop to get new intake gaskets. Everything is great, except this whistling noise...

It seems to be on the upper intake gasket. There is a small piece of the gasket that hangs out and if I wiggle that, I can get the noise to fluctuate.

It only happens when starting the car, and once I give it gas it goes away and doesn't come back. If I shut the car off and wait about a minute, the noise returns until I give it gas.

Last edited by Silver SLP : 01-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a warranty fix man, and its an easy one. Couple hours and they should have that all fixed up for you. I can do one in about 45mins myself.. hahaha
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Silver SLP
GX Member

Yeah man, hopefully it can go in tomorrow. Hopefully it's as simple as the gasket not seating properly.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Take a real close look at the intake and make sure they didn't crack it during install. If your not careful they will break, especially the rear tab on the passenger side, right next to the alt. The rest are pretty solid by design, but that one can easily be cracked during an install if they are not careful
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Silver SLP
GX Member

Would I be able to see the cracks without taking it off? And the sound seems to be coming right in the center of the front of the manifold.

I made a vid but I can't upload it.

Last edited by Silver SLP : 01-19-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Silver SLP
GX Member

Update

I just noticed somewhat of a low-spot on the front of the intake. I'm guessing the shop used a small surface grinder to remove some of the stubborn gasket material. Both the left and right surfaces look the same, but the low spot is in the middle, right where I would move the new gasket material and have the whistle sound fluctuate.

I very carefully tightened those front 3 bolts (30* at most) and I haven't heard the noise since. Tomorrow morning will be the real test.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

Sounds like they did just that, if that works great... I guess. I would not be too pleased if that was done to me
Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be demanding a new upper intake ... that's bs if they damaged it... call them on it and demand some action!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Silver SLP
GX Member

Fortunately, it was just that the front bolts were loose and never had a problem today. Crazy what a difference the small turn of a ratchet can make. Maybe running it for awhile yesterday also helped the gasket to seat. I had everything checked out and it was all to spec.