Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
AWD Alero?

It's 1 AM I'm tired and I just had a thought.. Has anyone looked into making an AWD N body using the Aztec's setup? Just a thought I'll look more into this tomorrow. The only issues I could think of would be the fuel tank and room for the drive shaft. If you could get the rear end, rear suspension, transfer case, and transmission I think it may be possible...
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
then you could just dissconnect the front drive shafts and have a RWD alero

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
would be slow or blow I doubt it transfers more than 15% of power to the rear.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Where would the exhaust run? The current location is right down the middle of the body...exactly where a drive shaft would go. Plus the rear sub-frame isn't built to take the strain of having drive wheels on it.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
would be slow or blow I doubt it transfers more than 15% of power to the rear.

Generally AWD setups favor the rear, and just have some power to the front for a little extra traction/handling.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Side dump i guess but I would swap the rear subframe off the aztec if it would fit on
Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

awd with a Longitudinal engine usually favors the rear but not with our transverse setups they are usually favored to the front
Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Well, you'd need all the other mods to fit the 4T65-E.

Then there's the questions...

Will the rear propeller shaft be in the center of the car.

Will it clear the cradle, steering rack and sway bar?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Will it clear the cradle, steering rack and sway bar?

IT CAN!!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

with custom mounts and tucking some of the engine bay components into the fender wells and deleting AC and such you could probably have enough room to get the transmissions central to the exhaust tunnel
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
add some good power adders to the mix too with our stock output im sure awd would b a dog
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
DO IT!!!! I want to see this completed, or at least started

BTW Im serious!
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

I need more discussion on this
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
is it possible sure, but why waste that time? I would rather see a simple RWD swap on the current unibody with a little extra bracing welded in........
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Awd > rwd think about and awd launch in your hoe once its all done....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
When I use to be on the Altima.net forums, somebody did do it with a 93 Altima. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but the first thought I had was the S-10 frame swap

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Awd > rwd think about and awd launch in your hoe once its all done....

I think it is possible, however is it really worth it? I mean there is the cool factor, but you have to consider cost vs. 1/4 time. With anything less than 250-300whp, it really wouldn't make a big difference. With a good suspension, a 1.6 60ft could be achieved. Spy was pulling 1.8 with just agx and springs. AWD evos in the 11s 12s are pulling 1.6 - 2.0 60fts so yeah.....

Also you have to think about adding more components that can break, therefore they have to be built to withstand the HP, no thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
When I use to be on the Altima.net forums, somebody did do it with a 93 Altima. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but the first thought I had was the S-10 frame swap

an s10 frame adds un-necessary weight. You could do a RWD swap without all that and just some simple seam welding and extra bracing
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
My best 60 foot time was 2.0xx

I do think it's possible to get them into the 1.9's with a little bit of tuning, plus that 2.0xx 60 foot was BEFORE the head swap

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
A few reasons why I don't think it's worth it:
-Launches would be more difficult to master (once mastered it would be faster)
-Added weight... much added weight
-Front heavy weight distribution works against having power to the rear

On the other hand I would love to have an AWD Alero for autocross in the winter + Ice Rallyx. But I would get the battery relocated to the trunk and get a FC hood for better weight distribution.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Besides reduced gas mileage and increased maintenance costs, what's the point of having a 4wd car?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote