Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
Its thinking like this that gives the 45 a bad rep. They can hold a lot of power, people underrate them.

Just want to add some of my own experience here... and I agree 100% bud! If anyone that is running a 4t40 or 45e and you have access to HP Tuners or DHP you will quickly see that the way GM set up the transmission tune is for a Sunday grocery getter. When they built it, their #1 goal was to try and find happy medium between ride comfort and fuel economy, also why they set factory pressure at 30psi on the tires, when we should run 34-36 minim! Anyway.... back to the trans.... the trans is set up to make the shift as smooth as possible for the end user. Great of your a customer that just uses the car for normal, run of the mill, go to work, get some food, take the family visiting, and so on. BUT, for guys like us this will not do! With the shifts set as soft as they are we are doing major damage to clutch plates and overheating the entire unit. Do this too many times and ka-blewy, you are getting towed.
Increase shift pressure, shorten shift times and raise shift points. Also raise the Torque Converter lock up and you now have a trans that will take just about anything a stage 2-3 NA build will throw at it, and will most likely stand up to a good amount of boost if set up right as well. I say most likely because I will be testing this theory as soon as I can when I add 14psi to a Milzy Stage 2 build that runs 14.1 as of now.
I should add too guys, you cannot set this transmission up properly with the factory trans mount, the one at the very front of your car. There is simply too much play in it, even brand new. I have had many guys over the years argue that one, but trust me guys, I know I'm right on this one. I killed three trans mounts in one summer, and when I say killed I mean killed! Tore the ever living' crap out of them! Put in Milzy's trans mount 5 years ago and have never looked back. With the mount I was able to increase shift pressures by almost 50%!! My trans stays nice and cool no matter how much I beat on it, or how many runs I make. To give you an idea here, I had days at the track where I ran up wards of 30 times in just one day, and there have been dozens...ahhhh yea...
Sorry for the long post guys, but the 4T45E in my opinion is a great trans, GM just had to go a little soft on their tune. Oh, and so you know, when I did my GM Motive Power Autobody Repair and Collision ticket, the fellow that taught me GM electrical for two weeks was the guy that actually designed the trans...lol And a good portion of my tuning training and ideas come from Greg Banish, the guy that sets up the PCM's for General Motors and has literally "written the book" on tuning. He truly is one of the best in the world. For almost two years I was in contact with him at least twice a week when i went through this, and he backs up my methodology 100%!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #22
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I like my '03 Alero tranny a lot better than the '99. Not sure how it will do under boost. I did have the front mount on the '99 disintegrate, too. The replacement tranny we put in the '99 two years ago did ok, but never seemed to shift as firm as the original one. The tricks I was using on the original tranny did not work on the replacement, but then again I was at a higher power level by then.

I have to agree that given the amount of intentional abuse on these units, they did quite well.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #23
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Now where was I

We may have a chance to test these theories. This is turning into one nasty ride (+blue plate clutches and new TC)

Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
happyisthealero
GL Member

happyisthealero is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if your experiencing any "loss" of air flowing in the intake with that snaky setup you got there?
happyisthealero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyisthealero View Post
I wonder if your experiencing any "loss" of air flowing in the intake with that snaky setup you got there?

i doubt it, an intake can have as many curves as it needs and its still gonna bring in the same amount of air, as long as its not leaking anywhere.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i doubt it, an intake can have as many curves as it needs and its still gonna bring in the same amount of air, as long as its not leaking anywhere.

Its easier to suck through a shorter straw then a long one. Easier to suck on 2 straws at once compared to 1
Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yeah true. lol.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
yeah you should get your intake as straight as possible... lol I 've put the battery in the trunk in all of my s/c'ed car, the LD9, The ECO and the L67...and... well my buttdyno tell me it does a difference

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #29
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
.......... Anyway.... back to the trans.... the trans is set up to make the shift as smooth as possible for the end user. Great of your a customer that just uses the car for normal, run of the mill, go to work, get some food, take the family visiting, and so on. BUT, for guys like us this will not do! With the shifts set as soft as they are we are doing major damage to clutch plates and overheating the entire unit. Do this too many times and ka-blewy, you are getting towed.
Increase shift pressure, shorten shift times and raise shift points. Also raise the Torque Converter lock up and you now have a trans that will take just about anything a stage 2-3 NA build will throw at it, and will most likely stand up to a good amount of boost if set up right as well. I say most likely because I will be testing this theory as soon as I can when I add 14psi to a Milzy Stage 2 build that runs 14.1 as of now.
I should add too guys, you cannot set this transmission up properly with the factory trans mount, the one at the very front of your car. ........!

Hey, thanks for the tranny tune! Can't I just chain the engine to the frame? lol

I'm at square 1 with a new blower and trans rebuild, motor is on the way out, though Going to mod one step at a time to see the effect of each. Not as much power as the previous build yet, but it's getting to be fun to drive again.

Stock MAF, bored out TB ( to 65mm), stock UIM, (no EGR), stock FPR, 3 inch exhaust, supposed to be a built tranny, with MMGT1 tune. 2nd burnout in the vid, see slight shadow on the dash from tire cloud

Here's a look and listen, pay no attention to old guy driving, he's crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsQ0Gp9vQw
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
AleroB888
GLS member

68mm TB

got to 12 psi, brought groceries home safely

AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #31
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I like the sound of it... e-mail me a log and the tune you have on it man, I'd like to have a look!!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #33
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
What is your cable bracket bolted too ?
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained01 View Post
What is your cable bracket bolted too ?

Just the one bolt on the TB right now, the bracket wraps around it. I don't know how it will be positioned later, so don't want to tap holes yet. Something changes on it every other day lol

Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Nice video!! Love that car....that engine bay is so damn clean...whole car is prob spotless. Gotta get that thing to ASS!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #36
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Nice video!! Love that car....that engine bay is so damn clean...whole car is prob spotless. Gotta get that thing to ASS!

Thanks, but it's not too good in person, I have to mess with the light and camera angles. The red 2003 is decent, though.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
MMGT1
GLS member

How's the car doing there bud? Manage to play with the trans settings a little more yet?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #38
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
How's the car doing there bud? Manage to play with the trans settings a little more yet?

Yeah, did you get the last emails on the 13th? It's doing better than that now timing-wise, could use a better 1-2 shift, see also thread on last Test & Tune. Trying to intercool it now, hoping for another 5% HP/Torque under the curve. It will be a challenge though

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
AleroB888
GLS member

Boost vs. RPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMs7UVv_N0
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #40
mfuller

Damn, that blower is loud. No sneaking up on anyone in the white car.