Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
Intermittent Electrical Problem - Maybe Ignition Switch?

Hey all,

I've got a 2003 Alero GL with an electrical problem that has started recently.

The car will start, run and drive fine. All of the critical systems seem to work. Headlights, turn signals, wipers, etc. The radio also works.

However, several of the systems inside the car have problems. The gauges, HVAC, Power Windows and Sunroof will occasionally not function. Today, the gauges would work, but the others systems wouldn't.

After driving around for a bit, everything started to work again, and things were fine when I shut it down a few minutes ago.

But now I'm concerned about driving around and getting suck with no A/C and no Power Windows in the middle of summer.

I found an old thread that may be similar here: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...switch+problem

But, there was no solution.

I also got a P0141 code, but I don't think this is related. I've been getting O2 sensor codes for a while now, but usually different ones.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and fixed it?

Thanks a lot!
DaRockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
DaRockwilder
GL Member

I also found this after some searching:

http://www.justanswer.com/car/43hbi-...rost-went.html

My rear defrost hasn't worked for some time now. It's possible it could have just been the first part of the switch to fail, assuming it has its own circuit. When the problem happens again, I'm going to check the fuses mentioned on that site. If they don't have power, I'm going to replace the ignition switch.

From the webpage - "in the under hood fuse box fuses 46 ( HTR-AC IGN ) and 47 ( ERLS ) has no power on both sides with the ignition on , I took out the fuses to check both are good."

EDIT: Tested 46 and 47, as well as the sunroof fuse. All three had very low voltage at them. I have purchased a new ignition switch and will swap it out shortly.

Last edited by DaRockwilder : 05-17-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
DaRockwilder
GL Member

I completed the swap yesterday, and so far I haven't had any of the previous problems. Well, except for the rear defroster not working, but I suspect that is a separate issue. I haven't tested it with a volt meter yet.

As of now, the problem appears to be fixed by replacing the ignition switch. The new switch is much stiffer than the old one was, but I assume it will loosen up after a bit. This is likely a good sign that my old one was worn out.

I will report back if anything changes. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out in the future!