Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
1-og-gq

Need help

Hey everyone,

Just got done changing the water pump in my ride. Talk about a PITA. Well after that I just figured I'm going start tinkering with this ride & doing some mods. Anyway, I have a 2001 4 door but not sure of the model, here's my problem. When I come to stop light & in idle, the car starts to vibrate real rough & if I have the a/c on it just gets worse. Now if I put it in neutral if stops. The motor mounts seem to be in good order. I've heard of an Idle Air Sensor but not quite sure of what it is or where it's located. This had happened before & I had to replace a broken hose that was about 2" in length of the front of the motor. Didn't know what it did or nothing but as soon as I replaced it, the motor ran fine. I had hoped it was the same thing this time around but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the long post.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since You just replace the water pump,when you reinstalled the timing chain is it possible that you installed it a tooth or so off so that now the timing is off causing the rough idle?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
1-og-gq

no...it was like this before I replaced the pump.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the 2.4 vibrates a good amount when it idles real low. Mine vibrates enough to rattle the exhaust piping when it idles lower than 750rpm, but that's only because the piping is so big. When you put it in neutral the load comes of the engine and the revs raise a little thats why the ratting stops. If your mounts look good I wouldn't worry about it.

The Idle Air Control sensor decides how much air to let in to idle the engine when the throttle is closed. If there was an issure with that you'd most likely get a SES light.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the 2.4 vibrates a good amount when it idles real low. Mine vibrates enough to rattle the exhaust piping when it idles lower than 750rpm, but that's only because the piping is so big. When you put it in neutral the load comes of the engine and the revs raise a little thats why the ratting stops. If your mounts look good I wouldn't worry about it.

The Idle Air Control sensor decides how much air to let in to idle the engine when the throttle is closed. If there was an issure with that you'd most likely get a SES light.

Mine vibrates to hell when im at idle at a light or something and the engine is warm, otherwise its strong at warm up, then falls flat on her ass. My tranny mount is goin just havent replaced it ye.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
1-og-gq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixtapeMessiah View Post
Mine vibrates to hell when im at idle at a light or something and the engine is warm, otherwise its strong at warm up, then falls flat on her ass. My tranny mount is goin just havent replaced it ye.

Mine vibrates like crazy as well. I've had this car since pretty much brand new & it wasn't always like this. I did locate the Idle Air Control Valve & the Hayes manual described it's function exactly as Spilner521. I removed it & cleaned all the carbon off of it & it didn't make a difference. I'm going to try & replace it & see if it helps. It would seem that this valve has a plunger type of deal on it & maybe it's not moving freely anymore. I just can't imagine that I have to keep putting the car in neutral for the rest of it's life.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
1-og-gq

So I'm not going to be changing my idle air control valve. It's $140 & I can live with the shake for that money (for now). If anybody else has any ideas please let me know.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
just wait for a SES light to come on and get the codes read :-/

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
When does your car idle below 750 rpm?

My 2.4 idle at 960-970 rpm. It never goes below that.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post

After the car warms up and when it's in gear and I'm on the brake at a stop light or something, then it'll drop just below the 750 rpm line. It idles very low and very smooth, other than the fact that it rattles the exhaust piping. When it's in Park or Neutral, it'll idle at or just above the 750 line.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 05-01-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post

The automatics idle lower than the 5-speeds.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote