Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
Question waterpump "weep hole' question

Hi, there are some drops of coolant coming out of the little hole under the waterpump.
question 1: Whats the purpose of this hole, or why is here a hole?
question 2:Could it be that my coolant pressure is too high because of a faulty coolant tank cap (screws really heavy if you want to get it off the tank) or is my waterpump slowly giving up?

i can sometimes drive for a week without coolant loss, but found out that when the car was really hot (traffic jam @ beach) the pressure might be a bit higher and then it starts leaking.
engine temp stays always stabile and fans are working properly.
coolant tank outlet is dry, nothing coming out of overflow hose but maybe that can be caused by a faulty tank cap?
(tie-wrapped a plastic bag on the overflow hose outlet to check it but that stays dry and doesn't even gets more air in it)

i don't know but i want to rule out everything else before getting the job of replacing the waterpump and again working to this point of dissasemblement as i did when i replaced my head-gasket (that's still fine tho :

thanks! Mark.

Last edited by 2fastshifter : 08-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.
2fastshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The weep hole is there to let you know the seal is no longer holding and its time to replace the pump. Let it go too long and the bearings can lock up, being that its chain driven that probably wouldn't go very well.

For the coolant res I would say the threads are cross threaded and thats why the cap is hard to get off. The cap should still work and release the pressure at the right psi even though its cross threaded.

I would change the pump and the coolant res. Most coolant res come with a new cap.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yes it's time for a new water pump, that's why the weep hole is there.

When my water pump started leaking from the weep hole, I replaced it right away, but at 11 years old and 130,000 miles, I didn't mind

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
I had some coolant leaking when I was in El Paso. Just small amounts, but I do not know if it came from a seep hole. The mech said it was just the gasket failing, fixed it up without replacing the whole pump.

Hopefully I am discussing something relevant to your situation that they can help you save a buck with.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
IDK how much a 2.4 water pump is, but the 3400 one was only $31 and it came with a gasket. With a lot of miles on the water pump, I would just replace it anyway instead of saving a buck now to spend it later, plus frustration

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
They are about the same price for the 2.4l. Just looked it up.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
They are about the same price for the 2.4l. Just looked it up.

Yes but there is a big labor difference.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
are the 2.4 and 3.4 gear or belt driven?

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Both have chains and sprockets but the 3.4 is a ohv while the 2.4 and 2.2 are dohc, no belts for the timing on any of them if thats you question.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I think he means the water pump.

Don't know about the 2.4, but the 3400 is on the belt

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
your spot on redog. i know the eco is internal gear driver. i was curious about the others

its nice cause when i blow a belt i keep running without worrying about over heating

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
2fastshifter
GX Member

Thanks for the info, i will get a new one today and spent some time getting my hands dirty.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
2fastshifter
GX Member

yep! waterpump is rotten . . .

I am changing it this weekend.
Took the engine surroundings apart and pump is faulty.
It is not rotating right, seems the bearing on the coolant side has given up.
Glad i changed it before it really broke and messed up my distribution.

I am taking pictures of the replacement, if someone is interested in a how-to-replace-yer-waterpump i can post a how-to later on if you like that.

I was happy to see that the head-gasked repair i did last year is still succesfull, timing chain housing is clean, last year it was full of buttery blubber.

My Alero is holding up, even when i am not so nice to my engine pushing it to it's limits
I am very pleased how everything comes apart, even the exhaust was easy to dissasemble. (props for GM )
That's a big difference with some european cars, they are sometimes rusted together, won't give in, and everything gets broken.
Well, i will post some more after finishing the job, it takes more time than i thought, GM states 6.3 hours labor for it but it will cost me two whole days.
(haven't got all special equipment here at home so some almost unreachable bolts cost an hour before i get a grip on it) hang on! cheers!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
98GrandAmLD9
GX Member

98GrandAmLD9 is on a distinguished road
Let the damn thing leak til the chain goes bad, add water every month ot two...
98GrandAmLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GrandAmLD9 View Post
Let the damn thing leak til the chain goes bad, add water every month ot two...

Great idea.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
your spot on redog. i know the eco is internal gear driver. i was curious about the others

its nice cause when i blow a belt i keep running without worrying about over heating

And still have power steering, i believe the 2.2 has it's p/s running off the intake cam like the 2.4
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
remember to post an article on gm-alero.de - preferably in German
as you are one of the only ones active with a LD9
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote