Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
HOW TO: Install a Short Shifter

Had a few people asking and I've had one sitting here for a few months so I spent a few hours this weekend figuring out how to get this thing in.
Difficulty: Moderate/Hard
Tools needed: Flat head screw drivers- both relatively long, at least one with a smaller head the other larger for spots where you'll need more umf.
Pliers- both channel locks and needle nose.
WD-40 will make some things got a bit smother

There is little need to mark your cables, the clips are easy to adjust to fit your liking and with the new shifter they wont line up anyway. The bolts that hold the entire black plastic retainer are not worth your time, they dont allow you anymore ease and have retainers that are pressure fit.
I apologize for the lack of more pictures but they are hard to take when you are using both hands.
1st: Pop the clips that hold the linkage (2st pic). You may also pip the clip further up that hold the cable to the mount. squeeze the clips and it comes right out.
2nd: Remove the shifter retainer clip (3nd pic)
3rd: Pop the clip that holds the whole thing there, there is a gasket in there as well, just be sure to keep track of it. (4th pic) Ignore the wrench!
4th: Use one of your screw drivers to hold the white linkage attachment pried out and pull that side out of the shifter out. This requires a lot of force! I didn't break anything, and there is probably a better way but, I couldnt figure it out if there is.
5th: Hold the bottom linkage attachment with your channel locks and pop it off the factory shifter. Installation onto the new one is same.
6th: lifter your factory shifter out (5th pic)
--The factory knob is a press fit, you will have to remove it to get the black clip off. There is no need to unclip the black piece on the shaft. There is a spring there that holds down the reverse lockout. I highly recommended a more spherical knob like the factory one- I hate the one in my pictures.
7th: Make sure you get the grey piece, gasket, and clip on the new shifter. Do not put the fitting for the other 'white' link on the new shifter yet.
8th: Installing the new shifter is basically reversed of extracting your old one. Start by setting in place, fit the white link in place first, its a pita!
9th: Slide the bottom link clip back onto the cable, use your channel locks to hold it while you pop the new shifter into it.
10th: Use your channel locks to pop the clip into the 'white' retainer, start by using your screwdriver to hold it out so it will have some room to expand around the ball on the shifter as it clips into place. Set the clip in place, and hold it with your channel locks, push the shifter into the clip. You will know when both the bottom retainer and that one snap into place.
11th: Sit back see what feels right. I got back in and adjusted this a few more times after I drove it a bit. Clip the retainers back onto the cables, make sure they clip all the way down!
Reassemble and enjoy! The largest difference I notices is 1st and 3rd gear. Overall its a nice improvement. I also used a zip tie to hold the reverse lockout up, and left the spring out when putting on my cheap new knob, thus far I have not accidentally shifted into reverse and will probably keep that when something nicer goes on.
Hope this helps a bit, its a pain the whole way through but fruitful rewards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0809151834.jpg (35.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151835.jpg (38.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151836.jpg (35.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151844.jpg (42.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151904.jpg (29.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150140.jpg (40.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150112.jpg (40.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150112a.jpg (41.9 KB, 69 views)
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote