Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-08-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
2blessedalero
GX Member

2blessedalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before, but I searched. I was wondering how exactly do you change the transmission fluid? I have been reading on here, but can't find a real good answer. I have a 99 w/ 2.4L and a automatic tranny. Is it a plug like on my Altima, or do you have to take the pan off? My altima, you had a plug to drain, then drop the pan to get to the filter. Is it hard to do for a intermediat level mechanic, or is it best left to a shop?(not hte dealer) I read a writeup on how to change a manual tranny's fluid, is there such a one for the automaics?

Also, how hard is it to tune up 2.4? Do I need plugs and wires, or just plugs? What all is involved?
2blessedalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
misslindseysue

You have to have the tranny fluid sucked out, basically. There's a plug on the side of it. All you can do with that is open it and see if anything comes out. If it does, it's full. If it's still pink, it's good.
How many miles do you have? GM recommends changing tranny fluid at 50,000miles if you abuse it, or 100,000 if you don't. I just turned 70,000, I tow a trailer from time to time (with my 3.4), and the fluid is still fine.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
2blessedalero
GX Member

It has abot 54k on it, and it is beginning to shift rough. I don't abuse it though, my son did when he was 16. I have had it since october 99.
He calls himself working on cars, is it something that he can do himself, or should I take it to a shop?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
misslindseysue

I don't know anyone who's done it themselves. I don't believe you can get it all out of the pan without some special "sucking" equipment. I'm obviously no expert though...
Old 04-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
2blessedalero
GX Member

can anyone else give me some insite on this?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
i took mine to a a shop and they used an machine the sucks the ols out and puts new in. this is the best way to do it.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
CocoaAlero

When I changed mine I used a transmission flush machine at the shop I work at. I puts in exactly what it takes out. You will most likely want to take it to a shop that has one. The plug on the top of the trans has no dipstick on it, so if you drop the pan, you need to know exactly how much to put back in. I'd have the flush done, it will replace all the fluid in the trans.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just unbolt the Transmission Pan & remove the Filter & put a new one on...then put a new Gasket on the Pan & bolt up to torque soecs & add new transmission Fluid (7 qts)