Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
cant make up mind on tires

really want to get toyo proxes but not sure i how i feel about spending so much on them though..........pawz people here were laughing when i was asking for harmonys heh i only need 2 tires at the moment thats also all i can afford without going into s/c funds prefer to stay around 200 no more please
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Go to bed

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
01silveralero

well u can close this i just ended up saying yes to the toyo proxes tpt and they ride great and dont even feel bumps no more (oh no i can ran over somebody and not feel it )
Old 01-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
have toyo proxies now and hate em they wear quick. i am going with these

www.sumitomotire.com

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ Don't they wear out quick too.

great tire for the first 10,000 miles then a very sharp decline

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
01silveralero

my goodyear eagles on my silver been on there for 30k...........only had to replace one so far.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Falken Azenis 615
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Stay away from Toyo! I had so many problems with blowouts and and leaks on my Daytona that the tire shop swapped me to a set of Coopers and no more problems. The said they were having many problems with Toyo and soon discontinued them.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
Stay away from Toyo! I had so many problems with blowouts and and leaks on my Daytona that the tire shop swapped me to a set of Coopers and no more problems. The said they were having many problems with Toyo and soon discontinued them.

my toyo's are always losing air i thought it was my rims

i was thinking may be these

www.yokohamatire.com

or the sumitomo

i would like to stay in the 100- 120 range per tire

=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org

Last edited by YALEROYNOT : 01-05-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
they laughed when you asked for harmonys? omg i swear by michelin tires lol. They last forever and ride great.

Toyo's arent that bad.. theyre a good value for what you get. We've been putting their touring tires on a lot of customer's cars and they all like them. They just dont last near as long as my michelins, which are bulletproof lol=-P

I got my harmony's for about 90-100 a peice, but they may be 125ish for you. Depends on where you get them from and how much they mark up.
They are passenger car/minivan tires btw lol. Maybe thats why they laughed?? Hell they wont laugh when they feel how they ride!

Last edited by pawzbear : 01-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.
pawzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzbear View Post
they laughed when you asked for harmonys? omg i swear by michelin tires lol. They last forever and ride great.

Toyo's arent that bad.. theyre a good value for what you get. We've been putting their touring tires on a lot of customer's cars and they all like them. They just dont last near as long as my michelins, which are bulletproof lol=-P

I got my harmony's for about 90-100 a peice, but they may be 125ish for you. Depends on where you get them from and how much they mark up.
They are passenger car/minivan tires btw lol. Maybe thats why they laughed?? Hell they wont laugh when they feel how they ride!

tire rack

the harmony's don't come in 225/50/16. I don't like the way 60's look. the link is for pilots by michelin. I'm not sure what i will do. I got a price for the yoko avid v4 for $115 mounted and balanced witch isn't bad. the toyos i got were/are $113 each m/and b

Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Oldsnut

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzbear View Post
They are not that a bad value unless you enjoy your car being in the shop all the time to fix tires and consider that a bonus of ownership. I have not heard many positives at all about Toyo.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i hate the toyo`s on my pontiac, no traction at all in wet weather or snow, not so much on dry pavement either, i like bridgestone, goodyear, pirelli, conntinential and a friend of mine has the new bf goodridge tdw or something and loves them
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

i want a tire that holds air cuz the toyo ones i have don't. they have been remounted to

Old 01-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
Ok this is what im going to say to try to save you some money and headacke, non of our cars go over 120 mph so a Z rated tire is out of the question you dont need that kind of tire, stick with some H rated tires they are a pretty good compound and they will last you a while.... here read this and go from there i think this should answer all your questions.

Speed Rating

In Europe highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted. Speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capability of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at "unusual" mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer's ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits.

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.

It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer's original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair.

Over the years, tire speed rating symbols have been marked on tires in any of three ways shown in the following examples:

225/50SR16 225/50SR16 89S or 225/50R16 89S

Each of these was an acceptable method of identifying speed ratings.

Early tires had their speed rating symbol shown "within" the tire size, such as 225/50SR16. Tires using this type of branding were not to have been produced after 1991.

225/50SR16 112 mph, 180 km/h
225/50HR16 130, 210 km/h
225/50VR16 in excess of 130 mph, 210 km/h

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:

M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
The previous owner put mastercraft avengers on

[IMG]www.mastercrafttires.net/wp-content/images/mastercraft-avenger-zhp-tire.jpg[/IMG]

I'd never heard of mastercraft, but they are pretty good quality, really great tires for dry weather and they're excellent in rain

you'd have to get winter tires too though because they're worthless in snow

and I have no idea how much they cost
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #17
01silveralero

WELL I ENDED UP BUYING TOYO PROXES................they ride good 40 miles on them so far. it was 100 per -_- one shop was trying to give my bridgestone for like 139 per i was like hell no..... that would have been 340 after warranty blah blah blah......i cant spin these tires at all they just want to stick to the road and that is that.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #18
Oldsnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
WELL I ENDED UP BUYING TOYO PROXES................they ride good 40 miles on them so far. it was 100 per -_- one shop was trying to give my bridgestone for like 139 per i was like hell no..... that would have been 340 after warranty blah blah blah......i cant spin these tires at all they just want to stick to the road and that is that.
Let us know of you woes with them later on.

Last edited by Oldsnut : 01-06-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #19
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
The Hankook tires I bought would have been a better value for you. They are really nice.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #20
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
The previous owner put mastercraft avengers on

I'd never heard of mastercraft, but they are pretty good quality, really great tires for dry weather and they're excellent in rain

you'd have to get winter tires too though because they're worthless in snow

and I have no idea how much they cost

Mastercraft tires are made by Cooper, I've had some of them in the past.

My continentals are a "W" speed rating. They go through the snow good for an all-season.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote