Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
Head gasket blown . . . .

Hihi, can somebody tell me if there are some specialty tools i need to take care of this job to change head gasket?
(and what bolds could be very stuck and are hard to remove?)
and every other info on this job woiuld be very much appriciated?
(yes sir i know my english is baad . . .lol)
thanks guys!

Mark.
2fastshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
torque wrench is about it I presume, its a pretty easy job. be sure to check the head for cracks thoroughly
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Use the steps in this guide: http://ion-productions.com/2000_2_4_Engine_Overhaul.pdf

Use fuel rail bolts to hold the cam sprockets in place, an impact to take off the crank pulley, and be sure to have the head resurfaced. I would upgrade to ARP head studs instead of head bolts, and torque them all to 65 or higher ft-lb just because you can.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Use the steps in this guide: http://ion-productions.com/2000_2_4_Engine_Overhaul.pdf

Use fuel rail bolts to hold the cam sprockets in place, an impact to take off the crank pulley, and be sure to have the head resurfaced. I would upgrade to ARP head studs instead of head bolts, and torque them all to 65 or higher ft-lb just because you can.

Also retorque them after your drive it once
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Don't forget new head bolts, if they don't come with the kit.

A lot of guys will reuse head bolts to save money. Do yourself a favor, spend the few extra Euros and get new head bolts

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Also retorque them after your drive it once
No. If he uses bolts they are torque-to-yield, no retorquing. If he uses studs and torques them to 65 or higher when the stock spec is 40, who cares if you lose a few lb-ft after the car is heat cycled? It's not at all worth taking it back down to the head... Engine's not the easiest to get down to the head.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your answers, Looked the job, and engine over with my Haynes bible in hand, labeled all hoses and connectors, and tomorrow i'll start strippin' the thingy.
lol, a few euro's fer bolds? they are a screamin' 9 . . .YES NINE euro's a piece!
but the shop assembled a complete kit for me together so i hope all will be in it.
i will post my findings next week, thanks again bros!
2fastshifter is offline   Reply With Quote