Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #41
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
dunno, could be a lot of things, messed up amp, bad ground, grounded speaker wire somewhere(that would be my best guess), amp settings possibly(i mentioned the crossover but i doubt thats it). double triple check all your wires.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #42
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
what about if there was a tiny hole in the sealed box?
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #43
sound_xtreme
GLS member

Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
wouldnt matter
Old 04-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #44
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

when you say grounded out speaker wire what exactly do you mean
Old 04-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #45
sound_xtreme
GLS member

i should clarify on why that wont matter i spose. a sealed box is very rarely ever fully sealed, mainly because it's pretty hard to get a full seal between the sub and box.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #46
sound_xtreme
GLS member

make sure none of the wires are touching others besides the ones they should be touching. like where you plug the wires into the amp, make sure the positive and the negative arent touching AT ALL, even one strand can f*** things up
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #47
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

the thing i found wierd was when the really deep bass came in it didnt do anything funny but when the punchy bass kicked in it made loud popping vibrating voise.. do you think it could be blown?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #48
sound_xtreme
GLS member

not likely. could be i guess.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #49
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

I was just thinkin it probably wouldnt becuase it sound ok at moderate to high levels it was only whenit was pretty loud it did this
Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #50
sound_xtreme
GLS member

lol, ive run out of ideas man. move to ohio and ill fix it for ya. hehe
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #51
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

thanks for your time dood I really appreciate it

Wrightie
Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #52
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I have a few suggestions. You had the sub wired up for 1 ohm. The JL website states the amp is 1.5 ohm stable. This may have a part to do with it. Your subs are rated for 400 watts rms appiece. You had the amp lowered down to its lowest range for maximum power. You have two subs that will take 800 watts rms opposed to the 500 watts rms of the amp. Those deep notes at high volume could easily be forcing you amp into clipping. Here is another question. Do you have the bass boost on? If so, please turn it off. They are one of the worst things to place onto a amp. The only time you want to have it on is at low volumes to add a occassional punch. Otherwise, it can easily force your amp into clipping when pressed hard. I would also look into turning off any loud boost on the HU at high volumes. Once again, it is amping the lower frequencies that could add distortion into your speakers.
In all honesty, I would suggest checking your bass boost and then having a local shop look at your setup. You have alot of money in your system and spending fourty bucks would be well worth it. At the same time they can give you some pointers. You might want to look into some tutorials at the book store. There are alot of good books out there.
Sorry if this sounds like a bash, but I want to point out something. You stated that the JVC has a 4ohm 20,000 impedance at max and 1,000 ohm rms. This is exactly why you want to keep the gains as low as possible. You may pay a little more for eclipse, but you do get the industries lowest 55 ohm impedance. The lower the ohm imp. the less distortion that is induced into the amp. At high levels these promote distortion. Just something to think about the next time you shop around.

Vtold's. The reason your diagram didn't apply is that his JL 500/1 is a monoblock amp. It runs one channel (normaly bridged internaly) while yours is a two channel stereo.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #53
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
To your question earlier, wiring the subs in parallel will result in a equivalent ohm load lower than the resistence of any individual sub. An amp wired to an Re = 1 ohm is most likely in parallel. On my amp, it specifically states that it was not designed to handle a setup with less that 2ohms, some amps you need to watch out, and carry a calculator.

Another thing you may find out is that MikeGett is your foremost guide to Eclipse Audio Systems :P
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #54
mikegett
GL Member

Very funny. :grin:
Old 04-05-2005, 02:27 AM   #55
bigd6983

yea how do you have them hooked up........that might be the problem you are having......how are they hooked up inside the box........and outside the box.....
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #56
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
A JL amp will cut it's power in half if you go below 1.5 Ohms. With the way you show them wired your running at 1 Ohm so it's cutting the power. With that amp your going to have full power anywhere between 1.5-4 Ohms. It doesn't matter whether you have them wired to 4 Ohms or 1.5 Ohms your going to have 500 watts. The last diagram you drew out has it running at 1 Ohm. Wire them like this.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #57
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Crude drawing but basically you want to run the positive on the amp to positive on the sub on one coil then on the other coil run negative from the amp to negative on the sub. Then you want to run a wire between the remaining positive and negative posts on the sub. Do this for both subs and it will net you a 4 Ohm final impedance.
Make sure you don't run a wire between the positive and negative on the same coil becasue then you will only run one coil.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #58
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
bass boost ownz all yo

jk, i like bass boost for adding boost to non rap songs, but i can adjust how much boost i have, and at what frequency. in general, dont use bass boost, i use very little boost at a higher frequency (around 60hz), but i have 2 8's mounted free-air....im just rambling, sorry
Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #59
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

Well I have toi say that MIKE GETT gets my vote for stereo guy of the year. I was laying in bed last night and the hole 1.5 to 4ohm thing went through my head. After work i changed the hook up and was proud to say that it worked great. After I finished I figured Id check out this post and Mike had figured it out exactly what i had done. I must say you da man guy. You r definetly my goto guy with audio questions.

thanx again
Wrightie
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #60
mikegett
GL Member

Thanks. It was pretty much a matter of elimination. I just happened to be the one to get to it first. But, that is ok. You can keep the compliments coming. :P I am glad to see that we have another happy thumper on the forum.