Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Head Gasket replacement???

Since I am most likely going to be doing the repair on the head gasket for bizarre's current car, I am going to need to know how to repair (more likely, replace) the gasket. any pointers?
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
ya

take off serpentine belt, crankshaft pulley, timing chain cover, timing chain, gears, camshaft tower covers, p/s pump, camshafts, camshaft towers, head.

put new gasket in, put shit back on.

http://ion-productions.com/2000_2_4_Engine_Overhaul.pdf
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

that should be sticky
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
John (Jackal), Joel (SoundXTreme) and I did it in his garage in a little over a day. It woulda been shorter but burr and smoke breaks got in the way. Its really not terribly complicated. Youll need to a torque wrench, and make sure the rods get replaced right. LOL. Theres a reall good write up, with perty pictures, on GAGT i believe.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
what are you talking about, this is an LD9 not a 3400. you can do this in a couple hours tops
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
John (Jackal), Joel (SoundXTreme) and I did it in his garage in a little over a day. It woulda been shorter but burr and smoke breaks got in the way. Its really not terribly complicated. Youll need to a torque wrench, and make sure the rods get replaced right. LOL. Theres a reall good write up, with perty pictures, on GAGT i believe.

lol, im doing mine as we speak... Gr1m is the greatist
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
get a good torque wrench. the felpro head gasket kit. I would replace the chain and tensioner at the same time. You may need to get them from gm part direct or dealer. Also if you have not replaced the water pump i would do that as well. use the correct procedure for removing the ccam towers and putting them back on.

I did mine and it wasn't bad but i did mine in a couple months being i was polishing and porting the head and other items
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
what are you talking about, this is an LD9 not a 3400. you can do this in a couple hours tops

owned by reading... and come to think of it, it was a LIMG, i think. double fail.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
It would be a really good idea to have the head checked.... some say that the LD9 is notorious for having the head warp, etc...

And be prepared to check the timing chain and tensioner while it is apart. Replacing the water pump is another great idea, like Oldsman said previous.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post
It would be a really good idea to have the head checked.... some say that the LD9 is notorious for having the head warp, etc...

And be prepared to check the timing chain and tensioner while it is apart. Replacing the water pump is another great idea, like Oldsman said previous.

That's news to me.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post

That's the old Q4, before they put decent gaskets in them.