Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Spike440
GX Member

Spike440 is on a distinguished road
Modification questions

I was looking on ebay and found a pretty cheap header for 50 bucks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
it says cavalier sunfire LD9 2.4l
also a cold air intake ( looks like short ram which is fine for daily driving etc )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Now my main question is this - Will these both work in my alero? I have the 2.4 but got it out of a sunfire. just wondering if that would cause problems with the installation and etc I dont know if anyone else on here has an engine out of a sunfire. Would hate to drop the money to have it not work. Thanks in advance
Spike440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Both will work. The problem with the header is there is no room for the O2 sensor to be on the driver's side. You'll have to plug that hole (looks like it comes with one) and have an O2 bung welded somewhere else on the other side.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Spike440
GX Member

what does bung welded mean?
and so what im thinking now is just to get the CAI for a cheap easy mod ( looking for better mpg mainly i only get 18-19 mpg ) and wait on the header so i can also replace cat, muffler, and o2 sensor(s) all at once. or possibly cut the cat off and replace with piping not sure if that would affect how the car runs or not.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont take the cat out.... Replace with a high flow cat. It has been dyno proven that there is no power difference without it so, why go through the trouble? Also that header is setup for EGR and since you have a 01 you dont have EGR.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i cut out the cat on mine a week after i installed my exhaust, after taking it out it took away the nice throaty sound the new exhaust gave it and it sounded like shit, i dont recommend it. it made my car sound like a piece of junk driving it around so i bought a hi flow cat and got my good sound back with my new exhaust.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
im sure what ion means on welded bung is you would have to make a new hole on the header because the o2 sensor wont reach to the hole that the header provides. atleast thats what i would assume.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
good call that is exactly what he means

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Good find! It can be made to work without much trouble. Buy it and set aside until you can afford to do the whole job...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Spike440
GX Member

ordered the intake waiting on headers until i can buy the rest of the stuff, took the muffler off today and it still sounds the same, hole in the pipe before the muffler.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Spike440
GX Member

intake still isnt here neither are my appliances that i paid for up front last saturday.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
Spike440
GX Member

Installed my intake like the day I got it, cant remember when that was. Had a little mounting bracket and I had to bend it because there was nowhere to mount it to. Also, there is a red breather hose included in it but is only about a foot long at most, and in order for it to reach the nipple ( dont know what else to call it ) on the intake pipe it would need to be about 2 feet. So i have that just sitting over the intake mani. All it does is spray shit / contaminants into the intake anyways right? Why would I want that. Hose would look cool though.
Noticed a slight difference in the cars acceleration from a complete stop, and sounds a bit different but my mufflerless exhaust is far too overwhelming at higher rpms for it to sound cool lmao
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSweat83 View Post
Dont take the cat out.... Replace with a high flow cat. It has been dyno proven that there is no power difference without it so, why go through the trouble? Also that header is setup for EGR and since you have a 01 you dont have EGR.

you know what's really awesome? Using an 01+ exhaust gasket makes things where it doesn't matter if use an EGR header or non-EGER header, since the gasket just blocks off the passage anyway, BOOM!

I have spoken.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
^Agreed. and buying the stainless bung from a speed shop for 10 bucks, having someone weld it up for $10, and the $1.50 for a bolt to block off the old one is well worth it.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote