Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
RoetherB
GX Member

RoetherB is on a distinguished road
Automatic Shifter Upgrade?

Has anyone tried one of these automatic upgrades like that B&M ratchet shifter or anything like that? I can't stand the lack of automatic shift knob variety, and I want to throw something else in place while I have the carpet, console, and seats ripped out.

Thoughts?

-Brad
RoetherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
I don't know of anyone who has swapped out the entire shifter, just people who have swapped the knob. You could get an auto knob from a Camaro or Corvette and put a boot on it. There's also some knobs on eBay with the button on the front.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I got a TCI Outlaw shifter going in sometime in the near future. I'll let you know how that goes after I'm done, but basically, as long as it's a cable type shifter, you can make it work, providing you get the correct direction of push/pull going to the linkage arm on top of the tranny.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Let's just say that it is more involved than that and normal aftermarket shifter have a shorter throw between gears than what there is on our shifter and what is setup in the tranny. so after lots of modding getting correct angle for cable, ball mount for cable, and the lock outs you maybe end up lossing the ablity of getting it into 1st gear. Also there is NO adjustabilty of our cables, what you have is what you get.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
Also there is NO adjustabilty of our cables, what you have is what you get.

You sure you're not talking about the stick? Mine is fully adjustable from the factory, as far as throw length and adjustment. I had to screw with mine for the turbo install.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
You sure you're not talking about the stick? Mine is fully adjustable from the factory, as far as throw length and adjustment. I had to screw with mine for the turbo install.

where? cause on a 99 there is no adjustment at either where the cable goes on to the shifter or where it mounts to the tranny. and far as throw between gears is actually set in the tranny. so unless Olds changed cables and the bracket at the tranny and can not see how you can adjust anything with the throw at all.

i would like to see a pic of where you say it is adjustable.

Last edited by Oldsman : 05-04-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
i would like to see a pic of where you say it is adjustable.

all to happy to oblige. I know you're asking out of curiousity because I would never just spout something off just to try and sound like I know something.

Attachment 2067

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

you need to look at it closer and you will see what i mean. that changing the brackets won't do much and when you calculate up the distance between P and R and then between the other gears you end off a notch. it is all compounded.

trust me.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

hey, if it doesn't work for YOU, then I believe you. However, when I computate the throw distance at the shift selector in the cabin per gear (based on whatever model shifter you're changing to) then your throw distance at the selector module on the transmission can be tweaked to a proportionate level at the connection point for the rotator bracket so that it travels the appropriate distance to compensate.

it will work for me, I have no worries. I'm welding a threaded barrel on my bracket to install a threaded (adjustable length) ball-joint style connection for the cable. That way, I can adjust in or out to increase or decrease the leverage point and thus the throw distance, test and readjust.

Sorry to rant bro......but I left Aleromod for a LONG time a couple years back because I was sick of all the know-it-alls saying "YOU CANT" when they had not tried workable solutions.

I had to readjust the angle of the cable retainer bracket to approach the shift module because if not, I would have burned the cable housing on the turbo. So I know perfectly well there are solutions that work.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
Im with blackjack on this one, u can do anything u put ur mind too, more power to u bro
Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
RoetherB
GX Member

RoetherB is on a distinguished road
I LOVE A NICE PAIR OF SLACKS!

Don't make me derail this thread. I'm sooo good at it.
RoetherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

oh what the hell do i know. isn't like i have an aftermarket shifter installed in my car. i am just still trying to figure out where the factory adjustments are on the solid brackets. the 2.4 must be different than the 3400
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

might not be a matter of it just being that the 2.4 setup different, but that is a possibility. It could be the year model, could be that you may have a 4t40 instead of a 4t45 (which was common for earlier GM 4-bangers) or it could be that there is a method of adjustment on yours that neither of us is aware of.

oh well.....on with the show!!

** edit**

I just realized you said you were looking for adjustments on the solid bracket. It's not adjusted on the bracket, it's adjusted by the large black plastic nut around the end of the cable housing. By threading it out further, it increases the cable tension, and by threading it in some, it gives a little slack.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

now i can actually answer this question...........yes someone has........ it would be me.

Last edited by Oldsman : 06-22-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #15
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
looks nice, get that other piece cfed and ur good to go

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
looks nice, get that other piece cfed and ur good to go

oh it will got it back last wed so not time to finish it yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I like it for originality, but I really like the pistol grip over the hammer. Good job.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
boostnsrt

where did you get the CF kit for your dash components? or is it that carbon look vinyl sheet?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostnsrt View Post
where did you get the CF kit for your dash components? or is it that carbon look vinyl sheet?

they are done by vc finishes and it is Hydro-Immersion
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #20
sickfish
GX Member

sickfish is on a distinguished road
and people say i don`t help out pssshhhhh i did the center console for him
and he did the shifter

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=DSCF0827.jpg
sickfish is offline   Reply With Quote