Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Headstrong2740 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Headstrong2740 Send a message via MSN to Headstrong2740 Send a message via Yahoo to Headstrong2740
Son Of A B****

OK........ welll this is freaking gay. I spent about 6 grand in my motor.....
I have not evan beat on it kept my RPMs low and have put just over 1000 miles on it. And what do i get for all this?????

ROD KNOCK!!!!!!!

SO.... lucky for everyone else on here.... i have to sell off all the turbo stuff i have not gotten to use yet just to get the extra money to fix the freaking thing AGAIN! I DONT GET IT!! I did everything to freaking SPEC.

The knock isnt bad, you hear it at 3 grand, but its not a good sonud to have no matter what. Some have said it could be maybe a slight slap of the piston and valves which would be bad anyway and result in me having to have my head rebuilt (new valves and what have you) and some think it could be the flywheel (Highly doubt it)
I will drain the oil later this week when i get a chance and see if it has metal in it. If it does..... oh you can bet ill be ripping that lower end out and replacing it again. freaking blows though!!!

anyway here are the links to the sales.

head gasket:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130147999864

Turbo manifold (2.4l)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130147962780

Turbo manifold (2.2L)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130147994868

Turbo T3/T4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130148011122

Intercooler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130148006477

If you need the head gasket (Multi layer) im selling it and you might want to look at getting it. Alot of places are on back order for the gasket.
I still have the BOV and Waste gate to put up as well as the manual boost controller. So... if you need those let me know ill get them posted fast for you as well.

Happy shopping ..... oh and anyone wanting to loan me a wrecking ball... id love to drop it right now on top off my car (Not literally just really frusterated by this)

"Dude..cuming on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandmother and her two roommates is like.....legandary!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589855
Headstrong2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Damn dude ... that really does suck.

This is the same thing that I hope doesn't happen with mine, although the research has been done. Good luck man, and I hope you get the chance to try again.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to Headstrong2740 Send a message via MSN to Headstrong2740 Send a message via Yahoo to Headstrong2740
I know I researched everything!! Did everything to specs and then it still crapped out. the only thing i can come up with right now is the crank i had gotten was bad. Or was machined wrong at the machine shop. I had lots of problems with them and now this. I dont know what to do but to get the money to get it fixed..... Would be lots easier if i had a spare motor to put in till i fixed it.

ANYONE HAVE A SPARE MOTOR??? LOL

"Dude..cuming on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandmother and her two roommates is like.....legandary!"

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
about your crank... You had it replaced by someone?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Headstrong2740
GL Member

NO i boughts a new one that was a remand but had it blueprinted and balanced at the machine shop and now i have rod knock. Im gogin to drain the oil today later to see if there are metal shavings in it and how bad i guess so i can see what im looking at. all i know is its going to be expensive ..... again lol

Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

SittinOnChrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnChrome Send a message via Yahoo to SittinOnChrome
speaking of turbos will this work on our cars ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...spagenameZWDVW
SittinOnChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Headstrong2740
GL Member

It looks like it. But with any car getting a turbo setup thats not stock will require some modifing. You can fit any turbo setup on a car, just depends on the modifications you want to do to make it fit. But it does have the right manifold and a good intercooler and the same BOV i am seeling and a very simple but affective boost controller the only thing you will need is the feed line and a return line as well as the waste gate and the pipeing . Looks like a nice little kit. See if you can get the measuments of the intercooler to see if it will mount up easily... but chances are you will have to modify the brackets or your car to make it mount up easily.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
lol if your starting from scratch you may as well sell your car with the knocking and get another car with a good base to start from
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
lol if your starting from scratch you may as well sell your car with the knocking and get another car with a good base to start from

NOOOOOO, i was reading this thread and the whole time i like "YES!! THIS DUDE IS KEEPING HIS ALERO EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A BIG PROBLEM". You dont find many people on this site who really love their alero! RESPECT

good luck man, hope its not too bad. keep us updated!!

If it is what you think it is, how much is this going to cost? I might be able to loan you some money
Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Disregard

Last edited by alerored04 : 08-29-2007 at 05:39 PM.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Well i know you have said you did everything to spec but either you and/or the crappy machine shop didn't actually do something right.

The 2.4 is a GM motor which is a version of the Olds quad4 and anyone who knows anything about building a motor that Olds had a hand in you have to do things slow and very precise. it is not a honda, DSM, or chevy motor. you can't throw it together.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
NOOOOOO, i was reading this thread and the whole time i like "YES!! THIS DUDE IS KEEPING HIS ALERO EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A BIG PROBLEM". You dont find many people on this site who really love their alero! RESPECT

good luck man, hope its not too bad. keep us updated!!

If it is what you think it is, how much is this going to cost? I might be able to loan you some money

I was referring to just get another Alero that has a motor in better shape, he already has all of the parts and if he does it that way he might be able to cut his losses.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
DUSTIN0285
UnOrThOdOx

DUSTIN0285 is on a distinguished road
^ and what just get rid of the one he just built with upgraded internals??? ya thats sounds like a great idea!!!!
DUSTIN0285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I was referring to just get another Alero that has a motor in better shape, he already has all of the parts and if he does it that way he might be able to cut his losses.

Gotcha, sorry for the rant.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
Well i know you have said you did everything to spec but either you and/or the crappy machine shop didn't actually do something right.

The 2.4 is a GM motor which is a version of the Olds quad4 and anyone who knows anything about building a motor that Olds had a hand in you have to do things slow and very precise. it is not a honda, DSM, or chevy motor. you can't throw it together.

Dont worry im not getting rid of the alero... not evan close. This is something im not abondoning easily.

Oh i didnt throw it together like a DSM or Honda. The machine shop really screwed me, but the motor took about 4 weeks to put back together once i had everything back. and then another week to get it back in the car.

This time around Im triing to get my hands on a spare motor so i can kee pthe alero going while i ever so slowly rebuild it. I moved out over the summer so im going to be rebuilding it again over a long long long period of time. the motor will be cleaned and then actually be slowly put together here in my apartment (i know sounds really funny to picture) but you got to do what you got to do. Every Day it will be covered like it was in the shop. This time though im getting a brand new crank instead a reman. Im hoping that was the cause to my issue. So far though from first checks of the oil, i cant find any metal, but once i drop the pan im sure ill see them. I am triing to find time right now to get my hands dirty on it to get it apart and back together over time. Ill be replacing all bearings (again) and the oil pump (again). The motor will be pulled apart, cleaned and steralized of all metal shavings (if i find any which im sure i will)

Im just so depressed this happened again, now i will have to fix it and in doing so, ill also find out how it happened. Ill keep you guys up and any other ideas and criticism....
IS MOST WELCOME

Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Lots of mods cost too much $$

^^This is why i cant get rid of it LOL plus the internals and everything else (besides bearing and crank)should still be ok, but wont know till i pull it out

Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTIN0285 View Post
^ and what just get rid of the one he just built with upgraded internals??? ya thats sounds like a great idea!!!!

You mean the internals that don't work?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Quote:
You mean the internals that don't work?

your name should be antialero.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #19
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
your name should be antialero.

HAHA NICE
Anti... why would i get rid of the engine and stuff to get a stock one??? i mean if your talking about swapping out the upgrades to the new one, thats just a waste too cause id have to have all the block work and stuff done again as well as replacing everything in it again. id be spending more money that way then just to fix this engine. The car is fine and everything else in it. why not just keep it and rebuild it??

oh wait, thats what im doing cause its more practical

Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ relax, he's not wet behind the ears, he's got en entire ocean back there

Sucks to hear about your bad luck. I know it's frustrating. I would go back to the machine shop and demand another rebuild. Kinda BS that the motor would break that fast

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote