Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
BoarderTy
GL Member

BoarderTy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP! oil issue!

so for a while now my car would burn oil mainly when it downshifted after i hit the gas or when it would be ran right after a cold start. so i put some STP smoke treatment in the oil like it said to do. about 4-5 days later (last night) i was going 55mph on cruise and i looked in the rear view and there was a steady cloud of oil coming from my car?!

My low oil pressure light would come on when i started getting low on oil during hard left turns.
i noticed during the slightest turn (left or right) and even going straight down the road the light would turn on!? wtf?!

then i popped the hood and there is oil all over the back side of the engine and the right side where the electrical cords and fuse box are. it looks like a splatter on the fusebox and firewall next to the fuse box, so i have the idea that a oil line broke? or split?

also looked under car and in one of the bends of exhaust it looks like its soaked with oil and there was a drop of it about to fall off.

basically im looking for a place or an area to start looking and to see whats wrong.
possibilities i thougth of were...
Broken line (hopefully)
Head gasket
hole in block?
blown engine...idk..help!
BoarderTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
what engine do you have?

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
you said it smoked on cold start up, open the hood and have some start it when its cold and look for oil comming out some where by the side of the engine where you see oil

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Be very caeful! Oil onthe exsaat can cause fire, my brother grand prix didn't the racal for the taken care if burned down the house. For your problem, sounds like it happened under pressure to me... I'd say ion would be your guys though, him and turbo 2.4...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
BoarderTy
GL Member

its the 2.4.
i had someone start it and it looks like its coming out of the oil pressure sensor.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
oil pressure sensors i dont think would leak much would it?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
BoarderTy
GL Member

at idle it was a pretty steady flow of oil coming out about as much as water would be coming thru a straw. its a 40 psi in there. and then if you hit the gas the rpms go up so...
Old 09-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I'd defiantly say the needs fixed...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarderTy View Post
its the 2.4.
i had someone start it and it looks like its coming out of the oil pressure sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
oil pressure sensors i dont think would leak much would it?

thats your problem, a faulty sending unit will pour oil out...not a difficult fix by any means
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
its the 2.4.

Hell yeah it can spill it like crazy... it happened to me and I suddenly lost like 1 quart of oil in 10 second with the engine running...

So you better do it fast, it's a piece of cake to do it yourself and the sensor cost only like 10 bucks...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
at idle it was a pretty steady flow of oil coming out about as much as water would be coming thru a straw. its a 40 psi in there. and then if you hit the gas the rpms go up so...

good point, idk what i was thinking lol.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
that happened to me too... not as bad as yours, but i lost a quart of oil on an hour drive... got home and checked it out... jacked up the car, started it looked under, shut it off and I have a puddle about 10" in diameter in about 10 seconds... 5 minute fix and no more leak!!
Good luck on your repair!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:

then i popped the hood and there is oil all over the back side of the engine and the right side where the electrical cords and fuse box are. it looks like a splatter on the fusebox and firewall next to the fuse box, so i have the idea that a oil line broke? or split?

Head gasket. Same thing happened to my co-worker's Buick a few years ago. It was a HG

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
BoarderTy
GL Member

thanks for all your opinions and help guys.
i had been done in the edina mn area and didnt have time to fix it till today. but i was right. it was the oil pressure sensor.
Replacement part: $9.25 Napa
Special Socket: $10.54 O'REALLY
Amount of time :15 min

returned socket after use...$10.54.

getting paid 10.54 for 15min work...thats my kinda job.