Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Hustler

Hey guys I am taking my ride into RSM racing for an intake manifold and throttle body upgrade and just wondering if anyone out there has these mods, and what kind of horsepower gains were seen with these mods. Is it worth while or is it just a waste of time?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
there is a little gain on the mid to top end but you lose bottom end with the 62mm.

i would not recommend a 62mm for your setup. the RSM intake is a joke. they take a stock intake dremel the lip where the TB sits so it matches the 62mm and then paint and put on RSM sticker.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
fusion
GX Member

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless your getting some turbo/supercharger in the future, there are only slight gains to this mod. If you want, it's better to go with the 2.3L HO intake manifold and the 56mm TB. Mantapart has some fitted for the 2.4L, but needs some work for the 56mm TB.

Maybe the ceramic headers may be a better bet?
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
hey scott...if i went with a 2.3 manifold, and used a 62mm, would that be better?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
62mm with the 2.3 would be find. but for a n/a setup i would go with the 2.3 ho TB which is 56mm. a 62mm causes you to lose a little bottom end.

if you plan on boost then go to 62mm.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

reason i'd rather stick to the 2.4 tb, is cuz a guy i know will bore it out to 62mm for 80$ canadian...

he could probly match the ports of the tb and the intake mani for alot cheaper then RSM at that...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

oh i am sure.

well i am running the 62mm TB. like i said it is fine and you do gain on the top end but you lose on the bottom.

kinda a give and take. just giving ya the heads up.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

the loss on bottom will be compensated by underdrive alt. pulley and underdrive crank pulley..right?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

not really. the underdrive pulleis seem to help the mid range more.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

hmm..i always thought they woulda helped in the bottom a bit..is there anything that would help?

cuz as of right now, if i can find someone to buy my subs...i'm gettin

pacesetter header
62mm intake mani/tb
underdrive crank and alt. pulleys...

that would be a fair start right?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

yes that would be.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
|Rev|

I have a 2.3l HO Intake mani if anyone wants it, I'll sell it for cheap, and I will have a TB soon as well...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #13
jlenko
GX Member

jlenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jlenko
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@May 17 2005, 08:30 PM
i would not recommend a 62mm for your setup. the RSM intake is a joke. they take a stock intake dremel the lip where the TB sits so it matches the 62mm and then paint and put on RSM sticker.

Oh yeah... preach it

RSM is mostly crap.

I bought a 60.83mm aka 62mm TB from RSM a few years ago. The requirement they used to have for the ported intake manifold was a joke. Dave's claim of it being a legal requirement "because the throttle plate would get stuck on the manifold" was total bullpoop.. I had already dremeled out my "lip" but was forced to buy it anyway. There is no physical way for the throttle plate to even TOUCH the manifold.. unless the plate slipped out!!

There is NO way to get 62mm out of a stock 2.4L TB.. the thing just isn't wide enough.. It simply won't fit. Even the 60.83mm (I measured, many many times..) is sleeved. It's not a bad TB.. but it's not 62mm, and it's not worth what they want for it.

It's too bad Franz never got his billet TB's off the ground... they were made in Finland and well worth the money... but some dork on J-Body.org ruined the GP by taking all the money and running... Franz never bothered after that.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

they bore the damn thing off center to get it to almost 61mm. and then they don't smooth up the throat of it.

glad i got mine for half price from j-body
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

i'm not buyin from RSM for the TB... a local machinist will do it for me for like 100$...he did my sister's bf's neon TB, and its damn near perfect...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
Oldsman
Owner

to get 61mm called 62mm it will have to be bored off center due to wall thickness on one side.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@May 19 2005, 10:52 AM
hmm..i always thought they woulda helped in the bottom a bit..is there anything that would help?

cuz as of right now, if i can find someone to buy my subs...i'm gettin

pacesetter header
62mm intake mani/tb
underdrive crank and alt. pulleys...

that would be a fair start right?

Just to let ya know you are going to lose some bottom end with headers as well.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #18
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

after this winter i won't be too worried about it...with gettin the house and a beater truck, the engine's comin right into the basement with me...i'l lbe doin some work to it...preppin it for turbo in the near future