Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-11-2004, 04:13 AM   #1
99ALERO

I have a GL. I was wondering if i could put in the 8 speaker system that is the sun and sound option?? I am getting a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora Stereo CD / Cassette player combo, with premium sound. So my question is if i can find the rear deck for the speakers in the back, would it be simple to hook up?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
8 speakers? Where are they all located? I have a 99 GLS and I only count 6. The 2 6x9's in the rear deck, the 2 6x4's in the doors, and then the 2 tweeters in the side mirror pods.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
99ALERO

do you have the Sun and Sound package?? Because that package has 2 speakers up front along with the tweeters (4) plus there are 4 on the rear deck. 2 6x9's and not sure what the other 2 are
Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by 99ALERO@Apr 11 2004, 11:26 AM
do you have the Sun and Sound package?? Because that package has 2 speakers up front along with the tweeters (4) plus there are 4 on the rear deck. 2 6x9's and not sure what the other 2 are
Nope, don't think I have that one.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 99ALERO@Apr 11 2004, 05:26 PM
not sure what the other 2 are
probably tweeters
Old 04-11-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Oldsmopimp

Yes that would work. But you would need to get a rear GLS deck with the spot to mount those extra speakers. The sun-and-sound package also has a 200watt Monsoon amp located on the drivers side of the trunk, behind the liner....u may want to get that as well. junkyard?? ...good place to look.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
niral622
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 99ALERO@Apr 11 2004, 08:13 AM
So my question is if i can find the rear deck for the speakers in the back, would it be simple to hook up?
it shouldn't be hard...in standard audio systems, one signal goes from the head unit (stereo) to the door speaker and then the tweeter takes that signal in parallel with a crossover...i would think that in the premium sound system it would be similar...just look for the rear connector pinout diagram for your stereo and someone in the Audio/Video section will be able to help you out...

you need something similar to the file i attached...
Old 04-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
Oldsmopimp

Quote:
Originally posted by smokinAMD+Apr 11 2004, 05:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smokinAMD @ Apr 11 2004, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-99ALERO@Apr 11 2004, 11:26 AM
Nope, don't think I have that one. [/b][/quote]
If you dont have the sun and sound package....than your signature is wrong..u dont have everything but a sunroof. And also....a "GLS2" does not exist.

lol, sorry, I just woke up.....mornings..
Old 04-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
niral622
GX Member

http://www.the12volt.com/request/request2.asp

thats a typical harness...check that site for more info, there might be something, you'll have to look everywhere
Old 04-11-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
dopey

im not sure an aurora deck will even fit in an alero.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #11
99ALERO

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetAlero99@Apr 11 2004, 05:47 PM
im not sure an aurora deck will even fit in an alero.
Thats what I am starting to wonder! I hope it does. It looks like the one that came in the aleros

Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #12
Purple&Black

You won't need a different rear deck. The 6x9s in the rear deck are 2-way speakers. They're counting the woofer and tweeter as two speakers. So 2 tweeters up front, 2 midrange in the doors, and two 6x9s with 2 tweeters mounted inside (same as any aftermarket 2-way 6x9s).

I'd bet that the stock speakers are the same for all Aleros, so you probably already have the same speakers that came with mine. The model # for the "sun & sound package" rear speakers is 09371129 (printed on the bottom of the magnet). I'd bet those are the speakers that you've already got.

The monsoon amp that comes with the sun and sound package has internal crossovers for the tweeters. There are two sets of leads from the amp to each rear speaker. The tweeter is run at 4 ohms, on a channel with a high-pass filter. The woofer is run at 2 ohms with either a low-pass filter or no filter at all. So the rear speakers in a non-Monsoon system may not be the same because of the mismatched impedance in the Monsoon speakers. Take a look at your stock rear speakers and let us know how many speaker leads there are and the number on the magnet.

Damn, how many times did I say "speakers" just now?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:15 AM   #13
99ALERO

my rear speakers are #16242789

ill have to check the rest later
Old 04-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #14
OpalaAlero

The 99 didn't even offer a sunroof I think. I believe they started putting them in on the 2000 models.

And if i'm right then his sig is correct...kind of. He has everything a 99 alero could come with, but compared to a 2002, its not everything.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #15
bdyman

your making this hard on your self,your goin to spend the money on this system why not just invest in some aftermarket stuff
this makes no sense to me....ebay is where i bought most of my system,and total it`s about $1,500
that`s what i would do instead of spending my money on a factory system
my 2 cents
Old 04-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #16
dadirtybulldog

according to what you're getting charged, i agree with the comment above.... it's probably alot smarter just to go out and buy aftermarket components.... and more than likely get much better performance....but i have no place to talk, i'm still using my stock head unit....but all my speakers and subs are clarion...
Old 04-12-2004, 06:04 PM   #17
Purple&Black

Oh yeah, I'd definitely agree to go aftermarket as well...

I'd bet those speakers are probably 2-ways anyway, even though they're a different #. It would sound horrible if there were no tweeters in the back of the car. The only thing might be that those stock speakers won't be able to handle the power from the Monsoon amp, if you choose to get that too.

Personally, I think if you're going to mess with the system at all, go aftermarket. Of course, that would mean powering the speakers off the headunit. Anyone know what the power output of the Aurora headunit is? I think ours is something really pathetic. The Aurora might be the same, but I couldn't say.

I think getting some of the least expensive aftermarket speakers and maybe an amp to power them will sound a lot better than anything stock. Especially if you get a sub as well. Taking the power-sucking lower end off of your midrange and woofers will make them sound a lot better.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #18
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsmopimp+Apr 11 2004, 01:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oldsmopimp @ Apr 11 2004, 01:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by smokinAMD@Apr 11 2004, 05:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-99ALERO
Quote:
@Apr 11 2004, 11:26 AM
do you have the Sun and Sound package??Â;-) Because that package has 2 speakers up front along with the tweeters (4) plus there are 4 on the rear deck.Â;-) 2 6x9's and not sure what the other 2 are

Nope, don't think I have that one.
If you dont have the sun and sound package....than your signature is wrong..u dont have everything but a sunroof. And also....a "GLS2" does not exist.

lol, sorry, I just woke up.....mornings.. [/b][/quote]
There, I updated my sig. :thumbsup:
Old 04-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #19
99ALERO

I am thinking that route now! AFTERMARKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!