Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
A few questions

1. My front left wheel bearing is going out, and so far I've found the OEM replacement assembly for $300 or so, and another one from NAPA for about $130 (plus labor, $85/hour). Do these prices seem right? I know some users have done it themselves, but I don't have all the needed tools available right now.

2. My transmission is starting to leak; I drove the car up onto a ramp yesterday and checked the bolts lining the pan, they all seemed to be fairly tight but I gave them a quarter turn just to keep it tight until I get it looked at (tomorrow). I'm thinking it's just the gasket (probably cork or some other unreliable material) but I'm open to other suggestions. So far the cost is the price of a new gasket and a transmission service. If anything I'll be getting synthetic fluid and a steel gasket for the first time.

Is this the sign of something more serious? Or just a bad gasket? I couldn't find any documentation of previous services.

3. I'm thinking it's normal, but sometimes it takes a couple seconds for the gears to catch between R and D. There's been times where I'll back up, go into drive, wait a second, put my foot into it and the engine just revs. A second or two later I'll feel it catch. Should I be concerned, or is it just inherent of the transmission?

I answered most of my other questions with search.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Wheel bearings are not that hard to do... If you need help I'm in MN with you I can get you the bearing for (107 for napa bearing, and 76 for proformer bearing)

As for the transmission It almost sounds like it's starting to slip. One question is how many miles are on the car/tranny? If you are over 100,000 with NO tranny maintenance to date you are taking a risk by running synthetic ATF or even doing a tranny flush, alot of times with high mileage trannys, new fluid will uncover alot of nasty problems.. just and fyi

Last edited by bkathsalero : 10-20-2009 at 09:38 PM.
bkathsalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
fluid change isn't a bad thing... flush is.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
bkathsalero
GL Member

Can be a mech preference (dropping a pan and adding fluid is'nt as risky) but for sure not synthetic on a tranny not use to running synthetic.. just like you don't run synth on a motor use to reg 5 weight
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Atmosphere
GL Member

The car has exactly 153,300 miles as it sits right now. I believe the transmission was serviced at least once before, however it would appear that whoever did it went the cheapest route possible. Coincidentally, the LIMG was replaced at the same time of that service, and that was replaced earlier this year (same low quality gasket).
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Wheel bearing is 100 or so to DIY. Worst case scenario is you have to rent tools to finish the job, its like a 27, 32, or 35mm nut to get the main nut off ( I don't remember ) then like 3 or 4 smaller nuts are you're done. Its a 1-2 hr job.

As far as the tranny leak, you'll have to look a little closer to know for sure. Its not going to do any good to replace the trans pan gasket if its leaking from somewhere else. And synthetic fluid is mos def a bad idea as suggested.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Atmosphere
GL Member

Yeah, I have plenty of ratchets and sockets, just no 1/2" torque wrenches or a way to compress the calipers. Thanks for the help though, I'll try to relay the fluid info along.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
bkathsalero
GL Member

19mm 1/2 socket for lugs
1/2 36mm axle nut socket
13mm socket for hub assembly bolts.

Where you at in MN? Can get it done in 30min

And there is no need to compress the calipers if you arn't replacing the pads, They will slide off and fit on the same way
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Atmosphere
GL Member

Do you have the hubs ready to go? lol
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
bkathsalero
GL Member

can have it (them) in exactly 8 hours from now you doing both sides or just one? also check my thread on the updated axle nut, some people swear upon it others say just takes the right torque.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
Atmosphere
GL Member

I'm about 90% sure it's the left bearing. Would the other one need to be replaced soon anyways?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #12
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
I'm about 90% sure it's the left bearing. Would the other one need to be replaced soon anyways?

Not necessarily. I replaced my left front and went another 40k miles before selling the car with no further wheel bearing issues.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
bkathsalero
GL Member

when driving next put a load on the left front by making a sharp semi fast right, not to fast cause it's raining today
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Atmosphere
GL Member

Clear out your PM's, bkath!

Looks like I'll be needing new pads and possibly rotors soon. The guy estimated around $1,000 to do all four, but I think I've seen some nice Baer brakes for around that price too. Would this be a good time to upgrade the brakes?

Anyways, got the transmission flushed and swapped with synthetic (I asked about the non-synth to synth swap and he said it won't be an issue, plus I have an Amsoil guarantee now), new blower motor resistor (finally), and the front right hub. Came out to be around $600 when all was said and done.

And to top it off, new windshield + moldings tomorrow. For free, too. Thanks, insurance!

Last edited by Atmosphere : 10-21-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
bkathsalero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Clear out your PM's, bkath!

Looks like I'll be needing new pads and possibly rotors soon. The guy estimated around $1,000 to do all four, but I think I've seen some nice Baer brakes for around that price too. Would this be a good time to upgrade the brakes?

Anyways, got the transmission flushed and swapped with synthetic (I asked about the non-synth to synth swap and he said it won't be an issue, plus I have an Amsoil guarantee now), new blower motor resistor (finally), and the front right hub. Came out to be around $600 when all was said and done.

And to top it off, new windshield + moldings tomorrow. For free, too. Thanks, insurance!

pm's cleared