Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Any reason why I shouldn't downsize from OEM 16" rims to OEM 15" rims?

Just thinking about this for when I need new tires.

Code:
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference 225/50-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.1in 811 0.0% 215/60-15 5.1in 12.6in 25.2in 79.0in 802 1.2%

If I can get a set of 15" rims at a junkyard that still look almost like new (to match the rest of my car, obviously this would be the hard part and potential show stopper) I would think that I would only need to find a 1999-2001 Alero with the 15" OEM painted aluminum wheels and they should just bolt right on and clear the calipers for an Alero with the rear disc brakes. I doubt that I would notice any difference except that the 15" replacment tires would be way cheaper. This almost seems too easy, unless I am missing something???

I'm not inclined to think that they put in a different VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the ones that got the 16" wheel package to make up the 1.2% difference.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Just thinking about this for when I need new tires.

Code:
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference 225/50-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.1in 811 0.0% 215/60-15 5.1in 12.6in 25.2in 79.0in 802 1.2%

If I can get a set of 15" rims at a junkyard that still look almost like new (to match the rest of my car, obviously this would be the hard part and potential show stopper) I would think that I would only need to find a 1999-2001 Alero with the 15" OEM painted aluminum wheels and they should just bolt right on and clear the calipers for an Alero with the rear disc brakes. I doubt that I would notice any difference except that the 15" replacment tires would be way cheaper. This almost seems too easy, unless I am missing something???

I'm not inclined to think that they put in a different VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the ones that got the 16" wheel package to make up the 1.2% difference.

I have used both interchangably on my '99 and '03. There is a much lighter feel, less effort on handling with the 15s, but you get a more bouncy, less sure ride. Less cornering ability. You may be able to compensate with a strut tower brace. My son claimed better mileage with the 16s over the 15 inch OEM steel wheels, I do better with 15 inch alloys over the 16's. The PCM may or may not react to the change, but most probably won't, unless you went to a smaller diameter tire.

What is kind of hard to find is a better performance tire in the 15 inch size.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
IMO the 16" rims look way better and I needed them to clear the Camaro calipers which is why I went from 15" to 16" for both my winter rims and summer rims, but if you're trying to save money I see no harm in that. Going from 15" to 16" is no big issue for fitment and clearance.. It's all direct bolt on. As for the VSS, ours can be reprogrammed by HPTuners or a stealership if you choose so.. Even though I'm set up for 15" 215/50/15, going to 225/50/16 didn't make that big of a difference to the wheel speed.

Also check Kijiji and Craigslist.. I bought both newer and old style of GLS rims for $200 per set. You should be able to find GL styles for around that price, but most likely cheaper.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
For comparison purposes:
The cheapest acceptable 225/50-16 I see on Discount Tire Direct is $116
The cheapest acceptable 215/60-15 I see on Discount Tire Direct is $88

Multiply that $28 tire difference x 4 = $112 (ignoring sales tax)
I'll save that much every time I but tires, and I'm not likely to notice any difference driving it. From what I have read here the TPMS doesn't use anything in the rim anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another question I have is if I get a 5th rim to use as a full sized spare, will it fit where the compact spare is now?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
A full sized spare WILL NOT FIT in the tire well. I had a hard time fitting in a 2000-2005 Impala spare which I needed to clear the Camaro/Impala front brake swap.

I don't really get how you're saving money. You're going to buy the 15's at a junkyard (around here the 6 star Alero wheels would be $35 each) then put new tires on them which are $28 cheaper than the 16's

Even if the junkyard rims are $25 or $20 a piece, saving $12 to $24 overall, isn't worth it IMHO

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
A full sized spare WILL NOT FIT in the tire well. I had a hard time fitting in a 2000-2005 Impala spare which I needed to clear the Camaro/Impala front brake swap.

I don't really get how you're saving money. You're going to buy the 15's at a junkyard (around here the 6 star Alero wheels would be $35 each) then put new tires on them which are $28 cheaper than the 16's

Even if the junkyard rims are $25 or $20 a piece, saving $12 to $24 overall, isn't worth it IMHO

Yeah but he's saying that every time he's got to buy tires after all things are said and done, he'll save over $100 for buying a set of tires for 15" rims instead of 16" rims

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:

I wasn't sure on that, I thought that there was someone here who tried it.

Quote:

It is if I keep the car long enough and end up replacing the tires many times over. My Alero only has 32K miles on it, and I normally keep cars a very long time, and expect to replace the tires several times over the life of the car. That and if I really get lucky and find rims I like with decent tires on them at the JY I can just use those up first before buying any new tires, making it more economically feasable.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
there is also the option of an aftermarket wheel unless you have your heart set on the stock wheels...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
If there's one reason it's cause they look horrible....tiny ass rims with big tires FTL! But i guess you don't care too much about appearance if your considering this
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
If there's one reason it's cause they look horrible....tiny ass rims with big tires FTL! But i guess you don't care too much about appearance if your considering this

Actually I do think oversized rims with tiny tires make a car look stupid. As a general rule I don't like anything that's not practical, and paying more for less tires is definitely not practical.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I just switched to 15" steel wheels myself...infact I'm getting new rubber put on today. I had a blowout on one of my Nitto Neo Gens, and it wasn't because the tire was poor quality it was because I ignored the fact that the outer tie rod was causing the inside to wear unevenly...so fast forward to now with the tie rod replaced (me forgetting about the tire)and I was faced with replacing the tire for 146 bucks plus tax, disposal fee, and mounting\balancing for a total of 164, and will eventually have to multiply that by 3 for the other wheels...all together I was looking at 656 + tax.

Now that I have the steelies that I paid 30 bucks each for at a junkyard for a total of 120 and I ordered some new rubber for 360...for a grand total of 480 + tax I think you can see the cost savings. You should see my car with 3 20" rims on it and a 15" spare...my car has a gangsta lean...lol!