Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-14-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Nikatrel

Will I gain any type of power/sound from doing just a custom 2.5in pipe back from the cat with my factory muffler still on?

I have an Injen WAI as well....
Old 02-14-2004, 02:14 AM   #2
Silverknight

I think it will give you a little gain, 7 -12 HP...but you should get a new muffler, dont go with the stock one, it's one of the most restrictive parts of our exhaust system.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Plus a 2.5 inch pipe going to a 2 or 2.25 inch muffler.

Too much pressure, burn muffler up sooner. Worst case, backfire and blow the muffler off and the new pipe you put on needs to be replaced again. It's rare for a newer car to backfire, but possible

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I just had 2.5 " pipe run from cat to a single 40 series flowmaster, great sound noticable performance, it cost me 247.00$ just watch out for the tip lenght's, my first tip was way to long, so i just had another one installed, but i'm modifying the tip so no pics yet! there is a pic of my original tip in Aleromod showcase forum, topic-exhaust installed.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
with the restrictions of the factory muffler, you wouldn't gain really anything with that set-up. you would gain more from a high flow muffler with stock exhaust.

but if your going to goto 2.5 cat-back it would be stupid not to do the muffler. if it is a cash issue, have them put a dynomax camaro muffler on. it is cheap and flows and sounds good.

Also with the 2.5 and factory muffler it won't change the sound at all.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverknight@Feb 14 2004, 07:14 AM
I think it will give you a little gain, 7 -12 HP...but you should get a new muffler, dont go with the stock one, it's one of the most restrictive parts of our exhaust system.
*buzzz* try again... you will see nowhere near that gain.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
`2000redalero

^lol spy and Olds man what's the best deal/sound/least restricting muffler to go with for the stock exhaust?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #8
`2000redalero

...'cause my muffler's starting to rattle inside itself a little so it's time for a new one
Old 03-04-2004, 04:36 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
for price, perofrmance, sound.............go with a dynomax camaro style muffler. it will change your sound and give you a little better performance. 2-3 hp gain out it tops. the muffler is normally $40-$50 then install or you could do it yourself.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
evilinside09

i'm going to try to find a decent sounding fart can (no rice wanted) with a 2.5" inlet and a smaller tip. i heard that the borla boomer series is rather performance oriented. oh, ebay is pretty good for poop like that. i've seen apex'i titanium teardrop mufflers on there for like $110. those mufflers usually go for about $250-275 at most retailers.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:32 AM   #11
cwm33

bah...dump the muffler and just run straight pipes...why not? trucks do it..
Old 03-06-2004, 03:07 AM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
cuz it draws attention.......and tickets
Old 03-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

yea. buy a harley and have straight pipes and get away with some loud effn exhaust.