Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-26-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Nikatrel

If you had a lil extra cash ($130) to spend on a cheap engine mod.... what would you get?

1. AutoTrans Interceptor
(AutoTrans)

2. TPS Enhancer
(Throttle Position Enhancer)

3. AEM Alternator Pully

Or would you just keep saving another $100 and get the UR Underdrive pully?

Old 02-27-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
are you looking for hp or a good mod?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
since the first two are not much for performance, id say the pulley.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
haulmarc

out of those 3, i would choose the at inteceptor. i just bought my alero and it shifts way too slowly. that slows hp transfer by letting the torque convertor suck up hp. so, if you can deal with a little harsher shift for better response then thats the way to go.

the tps is a waste. if you flood the computer with wot info (when youre only at 70%) youll get spark retard and a temporary rich condition that the computer in time will remap to a different setting. plus, if your 70% throttle position more than likely youll be putting it to the floor (100%) in essence no gain w/ the tps enhancer only drawbacks.

underdrive pulleys are only essential at the track for that last bit of optimized gain with substantial mods. an alternator doesnt draw max until rpm levels are up anyways then it drags down the motor a bit. if you run a/c and a good sound system youll be sacrificing current for important things like the ignition system and battery life with lower alt output.

a cai would be a good mod too.

marc
Old 02-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
actually the TPS/TEC works quite well for auto 2.4. the whole thing is it gives you a little better throttle response. with the 2.4 auto off the line, we need everything we can get. if you think of it as a carb, it is like changine springs on the vacuum sec. or changing the cam on mech sec. so the the re 4's open up fast and sooner to give you better response. That is the concept of the TPS/TEC. but for a 3.4 or 2.4 manual it isn't necessary. the computer doesn't remap nothing.

i have had mine on for almost 3 years and no probs. it doesn't hurt mpg.

far as pulley. if you want HP this is the best one to do. the pully is not just undersized but the factory pulley is about 5 lbs and the UR is 14oz. so you lose 4 lbs of rotating mass plus the 20-25% underdrive. the HP increase is noticeable.

the auto trans, well it is cool and it is adjustable so if it is shifting too hard you can adjust it but it is on all the time. it is a good mod.

actually all of them are a good mods but the alternator pulley one. this one is not worth it without the crank pulley and then you better not have a big system.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Feb 27 2004, 03:45 PM
actually the TPS/TEC works quite well for auto 2.4. the whole thing is it gives you a little better throttle response. with the 2.4 auto off the line, we need everything we can get. if you think of it as a carb, it is like changine springs on the vacuum sec. or changing the cam on mech sec. so the the re 4's open up fast and sooner to give you better response. That is the concept of the TPS/TEC. but for a 3.4 or 2.4 manual it isn't necessary. the computer doesn't remap nothing.

i have had mine on for almost 3 years and no probs. it doesn't hurt mpg.

far as pulley. if you want HP this is the best one to do. the pully is not just undersized but the factory pulley is about 5 lbs and the UR is 14oz. so you lose 4 lbs of rotating mass plus the 20-25% underdrive. the HP increase is noticeable.

the auto trans, well it is cool and it is adjustable so if it is shifting too hard you can adjust it but it is on all the time. it is a good mod.

actually all of them are a good mods but the alternator pulley one. this one is not worth it without the crank pulley and then you better not have a big system.
mine idles just great... even w/ both aem and UR pullies.. I think around 13-14 volts or whatnot?

Runs strong.