Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Silverknight

Here are some pics of the engine after we ripped the head off and took a look at the block.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Final-Reality

Bah.. it's just a little chip! It'll be fine... :unsure:

Also, the pics are blurry, and you took a bunch of pics of the head like something is wrong with it, but I can't tell... so whats wrong with it?

Also, are #2 and #4 both busted?

Old 03-04-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
Silverknight

if you look closely at the second pic. the metal on the top of the ring , above the valves, is mashed to bits. also the second hole from the left is similar but not as badly damaged. You really have to see it in person to be able to see the damage.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
Final-Reality

Ah ok, that was where the piston material was smushed into the chamber... fun :P

I hope you have some aftermarket pistons and rods on the way? Hopefully a head port & polish and the secret cam swap too

Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
Silverknight

it's shown more closely in the third pic

Old 03-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
Silverknight

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Mar 5 2004, 04:59 AM
Ah ok, that was where the piston material was smushed into the chamber... fun :P

I hope you have some aftermarket pistons and rods on the way? Hopefully a head port & polish and the secret cam swap too
actually, GM is rebuilding the engine for me, they are covering it under warranty...the way I look at it is that a working newly rebuilt stock engine is still better than a blown engine

Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #7
Silverknight

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Mar 5 2004, 04:48 AM
Bah.. it's just a little chip! It'll be fine... :unsure:

Also, the pics are blurry, and you took a bunch of pics of the head like something is wrong with it, but I can't tell... so whats wrong with it?

Also, are #2 and #4 both busted?
ya there are cracks in the pistons. Nasty stuff...they chunks of pistons were grinding up against the head and eventually welded themselves or pressed themselves into the head itself...it would cost $3000 to get it fixed without warranty

Old 03-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #8
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
if GM is doing it, why did you take it apart?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
you didn't tell them you are n2o obiviously
Old 03-05-2004, 01:30 AM   #10
99blackalero

ya..WTF...i guess GM wont do it if you're taking it apart

Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 AM   #11
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
:huh?: :huh?: :huh?:
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 AM   #12
overdrive75

Yeah I think you are lying about GM doing the work, because I find it hard to believe they would tear down a motor, when they are just going to order a reman to put in there. Oh yeah and if they are doing, it, under warrenty, that's a great scam. Hey I blew my engine up by running NOS, then I took it all off and the dealer is gonna fix it under warrenty. That puts you in the same place in my book as the people that scam money off of little old laddies that don't know any better. Or the people that set up phony charitys after major disastorous events, and pocket the money. Some one needs to tip the dealer off where this guy has the car, that way half way through the job they can say they aren't covering it, and hold his car while it is appart for payment of a portion of the estimate, and then hold the car till it is paid for by him once done.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
chicken_dog

Think about this if gm is that stupid to cover the rebuild and not look into it then it is there own god damn fault. As for saying someone should tip off gm i think you should keep your trap shut and let someone get something back from gm as they piss people off on a daily basis. I bought a 02 alero and i had to change my brakes at 20,000 kms wtf. I had a 98 sunfire and did a brake job at 80;000 kms doing the same driving as always. This type of poop with the alero is not uncommon. Ive had all sorts of problems with my car besides the brakes, The seat broke on the rails, tilt stering colum broke, water pump. If i would have known the alero was a constant headache i would have never bought it the first place. Oh yeah what is with gm cars loosing like 5-9 thousand dollars in the first year of their value ?? like this is not reason enough to let gm take it in the rear. So let him have his glory cause i think he is finished running nitrous on the alero anyway. If this does not teach him a lesson then so be it but gm will definatly look into it if his motor goes a second time.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #14
justinusaf
GL Member

justinusaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to justinusaf
Quote:
Originally posted by chicken_dog@Mar 5 2004, 09:01 AM
Think about this if gm is that stupid to cover the rebuild and not look into it then it is there own god damn fault. As for saying someone should tip off gm i think you should keep your trap shut and let someone get something back from gm as they piss people off on a daily basis. .
I agree.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #15
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by chicken_dog@Mar 5 2004, 08:01 AM
i think you should keep your trap shut and let someone get something back from gm as they piss people off on a daily basis.
Well if people keep scamming GM out of all this money, he's going to lose his damn job. Christ. It's not like GM tries to make cars that lose their value. They don't make the parts, either, they buy them from a million different suppliers. Suppliers make cheap parts because GM demands cost decreases, in order to keep costs down so that you can afford the car. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #16
jonez

Screw that. He bunnyed up and blew his engine, not GM. Therfore he should have to pay. If it was faulty from the factory yes GM should foot the bill. I know some people have had bad experences with thier Alero's. But every basic car manufactor also puts out cars that have problems. I have know people with Honda's who have done no mods and had plenty of problems. It just when you mass produce something the quality on everyone is not going to be the same. But IMO I will always drive GM cars and trucks because they are the best.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #17
misslindseysue

^ Exactly

Old 03-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #18
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
oh, GM will find out about him. Then its not only sneaky, its fraud.

Hope you like the showers in jail.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #19
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally posted by misslindseysue+Mar 5 2004, 09:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (misslindseysue @ Mar 5 2004, 09:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chicken_dog@Mar 5 2004, 08:01 AM
i think you should keep your trap shut and let someone get something back from gm as they piss people off on a daily basis.
Well if people keep scamming GM out of all this money, he's going to lose his damn job. Christ. It's not like GM tries to make cars that lose their value. They don't make the parts, either, they buy them from a million different suppliers. Suppliers make cheap parts because GM demands cost decreases, in order to keep costs down so that you can afford the car. You get what you pay for. [/b][/quote]
so this transulate into GM cars are cheaply made because of GM demanding cheap parts from suppliers. Boy there is a newsflash.

Far as GM doesn't try to make cars that lose value...........Aztek, saturn. Hell i have read articles that says they continued to make Oldsmobiles even though there was no profit and the lost of value just so GM could have a company to hit the 100 birthday mark first.

Scamming GM isn't cool.

But yet i'm sure his dealer scammed him so scam dealer. fair play.

Oh if you honestly think GM don't scam all of us car buyers.......lol. I use to work for a supplier for Saturn. If you knew the crap GM allows and does with suppliers...........lol.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #20
misslindseysue

I didn't think it would be news, just pointing out that you have to pay mercedes prices for mercedes quality.
Why would they want a car to lose value? Higher resale value boosts sales. Yeah, they've made a few bad calls, but I'm sure they hope everything will keep its value.
Getting scammed by a dealer is his own fault. I always check GM labor times and ask for my parts when I have something done there.
I work with a lot of auto suppliers too, I know what goes on.

Closed Thread