Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 06-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #121
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's in the stage 8 section on the first post.

Just stronger rods, pistons, a dry sump oil system with a lot of attention to keeping everything lubricated. Mildly ported head. Want to make the strongest version of this engine ever made, so that it can endure the higher power and last. When I go AWD, I will probably have to increase the engine power since more will be lost via drivetrain, and the car will be heavier due to the added bracing, full cage, sound deadening, etc. Can't have it get slower! lol

The stress that parts endure on a high HP 4-cylinder are crazy. I would feel more comfortable if the engine was built with this power level and more in mind. Right now it's over 150HP per cylinder, this engine is feeling similar forces as a 1200HP V8.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #122
dbral
GX Member

dbral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's in the stage 8 section on the first post.
Okay there it is! Nice plans for moving forward. Personally, I'm not counting out your current engine's set-up just yet. Once you get that head clamped down good, it just might hold together for plenty of 600+hp bursts of insanity.

Happy to hear that you got the ball rolling on those studs. Dealing with custom parts can be quite frustrating at times.
dbral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #123
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I had a random itch to sign back in and check out what's been going on with everyone. This is one hell of a build, and it's great to see you still going strong with everything!

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #124
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
$2,886.15 (well, at a minimum, he said) for one set of studs.

I wish I could get two for that price, because I would love to have the other engine build complete and buttoned up and ready to rock while this one's still running, but I guess the head will have to stay off on the second engine.

It's been a long journey to get them to officially make a quote, but now I still have to wait for the drawings to be made, and then the 12-week timer on manufacturing can begin.

I just want to know if the studs will keep the head sealed, and actually drive the car. It's been so long and there's nothing I can do to expedite it. I need studs.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #125
homegrown
GX Member

homegrown is on a distinguished road
That is crazy just for a set of head studs. Makes you wonder if they are just throwing a stupid number at you because they really don't want the job.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #126
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
That is crazy just for a set of head studs. Makes you wonder if they are just throwing a stupid number at you because they really don't want the job.

One offs are always expensive.

Extreme Bolt quoted me nearly $10,000...

Drawings are approved, ARP says they "will get rolling." Hopefully that means the 12 week lead time has begun. So, middle October is when I should have them. Ugh.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #127
[ion] C2
636 whp

Finally! Some custom made ARP Custom Age 625 Plus studs specifically made to maximize thread engagement on the GM LD9. The off-the-shelf ones people have been using barely thread in on the short studs and aren't using the full potential of the others either.

However, the big difference here is material. This stuff is the best of the best when it comes to head studs.

Now we can get this engine back together and hopefully cross the 600 whp threshold without leaks. Here's to hoping sometime in December it will be back in my hands.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #128
homegrown
GX Member

homegrown is on a distinguished road
Pretty.
Hopefully, they work out for you.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #129
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
Pretty.
Hopefully, they work out for you.

After 19 months of having my car in a shop I'm ready for things to work
Old 11-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #130
Young Gun
GX Member

Young Gun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Finally! Some custom made ARP Custom Age 625 Plus studs specifically made to maximize thread engagement on the GM LD9.

Yay! I can't wait either
Old 11-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #131
dbral
GX Member

Awesome!
Old 12-10-2021, 01:22 AM   #132
[ion] C2
636 whp

Currently on the hunt for stronger valve springs before reassembling everything. The stock ones are only 35 lb, I think. Considering we're producing 35 lbs of boost, the valvetrain probably isn't running as efficiently as it could.

So that's the current hold up. Measurements being taken and comparing to options out there.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #133
Young Gun
GX Member

Quote:
Currently on the hunt for stronger valve springs before reassembling everything. The stock ones are only 35 lb, I think. Considering we're producing 35 lbs of boost, the valvetrain probably isn't running as efficiently as it could.

So that's the current hold up. Measurements being taken and comparing to options out there.

Cool cool. Can't wait for it to be turned up!
Old 02-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #134
LRM88
GX Member

LRM88 is on a distinguished road
Impressive project.
LRM88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #135
[ion] C2
636 whp

So for the last 5 months we've been trying to get a valvetrain pieced together from off-the-shelf parts, or a combination of that and custom machined retainers and/or locators.

However, something we didn't anticipate was that every manufacturer would feign interest, be extremely communicative, and then ghost us.

GSC Power Divison

The first manufacturer we spoke with just stopped replying to emails in early January. I left a very polite "just following up" voicemail once a week. I emailed expressing my willingness to pay whatever it takes to make, etc. Completely ghosted.

Kibblewhite Performance Machining, Inc
I reached out to another manufacturer, and they were very responsive, very fast, up until the point that I sent my stock parts to them for one final fit-check. They said it would be about $750, so to consider that before sending in my parts. Cost is not an issue on this so I immediately shipped them. It's been over 6 weeks since they received my parts, and they immediately went silent. I've only gotten a few blips of "sorry we were busy" and "I'm working with your parts today, will have an answer Monday or Tuesday" which of course was weeks ago.

Ferrea
I reached out to another place and explained that I'm having bad luck and everyone is ghosting me. They were communicative but did not have a good retainer/base solution. Recommended RD Spring.

RD Spring
They had a spring but said would need custom retainers and such and they don't do that.

I decided to reach back out to GSC Power Division last week. I emailed and explained that I left a few voicemails and emails that went unanswered, and I don't know why, but is there any way you can help. I need this done and I will pay big.

I called immediately to follow up and was able to speak to the owner for a long time. He said the reason he disappeared was he assumed I wouldn't be interested in the 2-3 month lead time. Come on. I'm 5 months in researching and trying to get a valvetrain solution, and they ghosted me because he thought it would be too long? Regardless, today is a new day and he is willing to help based on my persistence.

So now GSC and KPMI both have sets of my parts for comparison. I emailed KPMI with a desperate sounding plea for follow-through on this project, and explained that I spent a LOT of money on this car and this isn't in the grand scheme of things, I just need it done, and done quickly. I am tired of waiting, my car has not been driven by me in 2 years, etc.

However.

I continued my research and found that there is a fast, even inexpensive, solution that should result in about a 105 lb installed spring force.
  • Crower springs P/N 68190-16
  • 2.3 Quad 4 retainers (P/N 22531219)
  • Comp Cams shim(s) on exhaust side (P/N 4717-16)
Then you grind off the inner raised lip on the intake rotators for the spring to fit.

That's it. I've got the parts on order.

Since you're technically supposed to use a locator on the base of the spring, I also ordered Isky 255VSL locators, which are basically the perfect size to use on the exhaust valvetrain. This way they have a shoulder that the spring can be "located" by instead of just resting on a flat washer with nothing helping keep it centered.

The intake side won't be ideal for now, as to install the spring on the existing rotators, we have to remove the raised shoulder that normally centers and locates the spring. I've heard quite a few people running things that way, so it must be OK for a while. I will have custom rotators made for the next engine, but it should work for now.

I hate not having my car. This is a car that was my daily driver for so many years. When it had issues, I was in a bad mood overall. When it was running good, I was feeling good. Dunno, it's weird.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:48 PM   #136
[ion] C2
636 whp

Machine shop that's doing the head resurfacing didn't like our idea of grinding/milling off the raised part of the intake rotators, so they're machining actual locators. Intake valves won't spin anymore, but they'll stay centered, which is good.

Anyone's guess as far as how long it will take to get the head back though... hopefully quick...
Old 05-11-2022, 12:02 AM   #137
Young Gun
GX Member

Quote:
Machine shop that's doing the head resurfacing didn't like our idea of grinding/milling off the raised part of the intake rotators, so they're machining actual locators. Intake valves won't spin anymore, but they'll stay centered, which is good.

Anyone's guess as far as how long it will take to get the head back though... hopefully quick...

Old 05-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #138
dbral
GX Member

Fingers crossed that your Crower valve spring and related parts idea works and it sucks to hear about the lack of support from all of those companies. You are in uncharted twin cam territory with no help from above. Keep pushing on as always.
Quote:
I hate not having my car. This is a car that was my daily driver for so many years. When it had issues, I was in a bad mood overall. When it was running good, I was feeling good. Dunno, it's weird.

Not weird at all to me... I can relate to this
Old 05-11-2022, 12:08 AM   #139
dbral
GX Member

LOL young gun! Hopefully more like one week later....
Old 07-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #140
[ion] C2
636 whp

Head's back. They ended up using the Isky 255VSL locators on the intake side and machining a spacer so they are as tall as the original rotators.

So on the exhaust side they just used the Comp Cams shims I had originally planned to use. Not ideal, but it will work.

Next up, assembly.