Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
Bushings

So after replacing 2 worn tie rod ends I started thinking about replacing all the bushings.

I have a few questions.

How hard is it to remove and press in new control arm bushings?

How do I know what size front and rear sway bar are?

Is replacing the rear sway bar bushings and link bushings worth it?

And last what other bushings should be replaced on the rear? I can't locate any rear bushings on the oreilly or autozone site.
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
There are some rear trailing arm bushings, the rear end links, and the rear sway bar bushings. I have new rear trailing arm bushings, end links, and a bunch of crap for the front end, all new. I'll sell it dirt cheap if you want it. I need to see it gone. I can take an inventory tonight I think. I even have a set of poly lower control arm bushings. The only thing I can say for sure that I won't have is sway bar bushings.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
jlong
GL Member

If you could let me know what you have and how much.
What I am considering replacing now is front control arm bushings, ball joint, front sway bar bushings / link bushings and the trailing arm bushings. I am going to assume the are the huge round bushings in the rear?

Is it really worth replacing the rear sway bar bushings?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
jlong
GL Member

Anyone else?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Do you drive it hard?? If not then forget about the sway bar bushings IMO.

I drove for ages with a broken link and never even realized it.. the way I drive it's just not something I worry about. (sounds unsafe. oh well)

Front and rear are removed from my Buick to hit side-to-sides better, haha.

Control arm bushinga.. you need a big C-clamp basically and some slippery stuff... chamfer the edge, then press it in. Do-able for sure, but a PITA in execution.
I wouldn't bother replacing them unless there is an actual problem with them requiring new ones. Then do it, no big.

Honestly.. unless you want handling performance, just replace them as they wear. Jack the car up, poke around a bit.. grab and pry things lookin for excessive movement. Look for bushings that are cracked, worn, and missing chunks. Use your discretion.. if it isn't causing handling problems, noises, or throwing off your alignment, I probably would for-go it unless you're bored.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
jlong
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Do you drive it hard?? If not then forget about the sway bar bushings IMO.

I drove for ages with a broken link and never even realized it.. the way I drive it's just not something I worry about. (sounds unsafe. oh well)

Front and rear are removed from my Buick to hit side-to-sides better, haha.

Control arm bushinga.. you need a big C-clamp basically and some slippery stuff... chamfer the edge, then press it in. Do-able for sure, but a PITA in execution.
I wouldn't bother replacing them unless there is an actual problem with them requiring new ones. Then do it, no big.

Honestly.. unless you want handling performance, just replace them as they wear. Jack the car up, poke around a bit.. grab and pry things lookin for excessive movement. Look for bushings that are cracked, worn, and missing chunks. Use your discretion.. if it isn't causing handling problems, noises, or throwing off your alignment, I probably would for-go it unless you're bored.

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking about the rear sway bar. The car is used as a family car. (oh god, euw did I just say that).

I have a C clamp and a bench top clamp and a BFH and multiple types of grease and lube so I think I am up to the task.

I do have a noise in the front end, especially when it's cold, when I go over bumps or dips at speeds slower than 35 or so. It sounds like a crunching noise. There is also a noise when I turn, though it's not as bad and generally goes away in warmer temps and after I have driven a mile or so. It's still there even after I replaced the outer tie rod ends. I also replaced the entire strut assembly and mount about a year or more ago and it didn't ever really stop. I think I will disassemble it and take a look at the mount. If it's worn I will replace it, hopefully under warranty.

It seams cheap enough to replace all the front parts and simple enough. I already need an alignment so I might as well do it.

The rear is really up in the air. I know it doesn't take as much abuse as the front.

I do have a pressing question though. How do I tell what size sway bar I have?

Last edited by jlong : 01-06-2010 at 10:47 AM.