Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Str33tRacer

I have a Gold Series Neo-Blue kit. And i live in minnesota. Latley its gotten colder. Like ALOT colder and one day my neons stopped working. Its happened before and i took it into the shop for my bearings, and it was a wire harness as well that needed to be fixed. When it was replaced the neons worked great! But one night i noticed that they just shut off going down the road. So i flipped them off and on to see if they would reset. They didnt and i couldnt get them to get back on. Finally i got out and noticed that just half the car lit up, and i couldnt see the drivers side on. The next night. (last night) i worked on it on the lift. I checked EVERY thing, Connections, tubes, solders, fuses, any wire pinches. But i had to go out that nite so i said F this and left. They kept flashing and then shorting out, or what i thought it was, when ever i tried to turn them on, so i just shut it off and went inside for about, oooo 10 mins. then left. while going down the road i tried them again. They worked! for about 1 second and then shut off. tried it again and then they flashed. So i waitied about 3 mins and tried them again. This time they Were on for about 20 seconds and then shut off. So i tried them right away and then they flickered, again. So we were driving down a freeway and im thinking wierd, its like the longer i leave them off the longer they stay on, wierd to say this but its like theyre getting "Charged" is the alternator bad because im really stumped. Right now theyre working normal but ill see later tonight. This isnt the first time this happened. Before, they would flash sometimes when i start it (like at a parking lot) so im like dammit and get out undo the fuse and reconnect the fuse and then would go on right away. I think its a bad Ground but i wired everything right and it worked fine in the summer. My dad said it could be because its cold and the snow and slush and salt can f*** things up, but no wires are exposed..... Any help on this one?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
auchevyalero2004

ground, or bad transformer. im pretty sure that sounds like a bad ground on the transformer though.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
bassboss
GX Member

bassboss is an unknown quantity at this point
are they gas charges neons or led underglow neons. If they are gass charged, The cold would have a big affect on the gas getting charged ans turning on. also the lights themselves may have some bad contacts inside of them.

If they are LED or anthing other than gas charged disregard what i have just said.
bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
auchevyalero2004

theyre gas, but im 99% positive it's a bad ground. ive dealt with them a lot. take a wire and bolt it to the transformer and sand a section of paint of the chassis and use a ring terminal. it's really hard to get a good reliable ground using just the ground pad on the transformer. a lot of other brands actually come with an additional ground wire now.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Str33tRacer

drilled a hole in.... fender i believe... right below the Coolent Container. Scrapped the paint off and everything. Funny thing is.... they working fine now
Old 02-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
its the cold, trust me. I had mine last winter and on the really cold nights, the neons would quit working. But would always come back on the next day or when it warmed up.