Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
AleroMike87
GX Member

AleroMike87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint Swirls

ok im wondering the best way if any to remove paint swirling, my cars in pretty good condition but theres alot of swirling in it, does using something like the mothers 3 phase cleaner/glazesealer/wax kit actually remove that or is it just a waste of time and money, and also im wondering if when i wax i should get one of the coulored kind or just stick with good old mothers caranuba
AleroMike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
turbocut did pretty good on my trunk lid where there was lots of swirls and hairline scratches.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
i haven't had that problem with the alero, but on my cavy i got some of that color cure turtle wax.... worked like a charm with a buffer
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
shiny alero
GL Member

shiny alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shiny alero
DONT USE TURTLE WAX that stuff is garbage. use maguirers or yellow wax from pro available at prowax.com trust me on this. im a professional detailer. i havnt used mothers but if its anything like the 3 stage meguries it will work.
shiny alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
14alero
V.I.P. Member

14alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to 14alero
3m makes a good Swirl remover
14alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
RazziAlero99
GX Member

RazziAlero99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RazziAlero99
I have used megurires and mothers and both are great waxes for sure. But I also am a fan of the Turtle wax color cure wax, it hides literaly almost every imprefection and chip from the paint very well. Though it tends not be as shinny as the others or last as long. Go with megurires scrach-x, then use thier wax after you buff the scratch-x out.

Updated 4/11/07-http://www.cardomain.com/ride/691043
RazziAlero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
AleroMike87
GX Member

AleroMike87 is an unknown quantity at this point
ive never used a buffer but do you guys think it will still work just waxing by hand
AleroMike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Meguirs Gold Class wax i beleive its called... we use it on our show car.

you should try clay bar as well... its amazing!!!

Last edited by pawzbear : 04-01-2007 at 01:14 AM.
pawzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
shiny alero
GL Member

if its already swireld dont buff it unless you have too, thats how they got there in the first place.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
white04alero
GL Member

white04alero has a little shameless behaviour in the past
all i have ever used is turtle wax, and my grandpa has been dealing cars for a living since the 70's and he's used turtle wax since he can remember when detailing the cars. there's nothing wrong with turtle wax. in fact, i recommend it
- pioneer 4900iB head unit
white04alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #11
shiny alero
GL Member

i guess its personal prefrance. use what you like, experiment.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #12
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny alero View Post
if its already swireld dont buff it unless you have too, thats how they got there in the first place.

wrong........ what he is most likely refering to since im assuming his car hasnt been buffed are carwash scratches.

if you take your car threw an automatic car wash its gonna put scratches in the clear coat..... the more you go threw the was the worse they get.

the only good way to remove the scratches is by buffing the car. i started buffing cars about 10 months ago and let me tell you........ it makes such a difference in the look of the car its not even funny.

my advice to you is that if you dont know how to properly buff a car...... and you want your car to look like a million bucks...... take it to a professional and have them buff it out. you WONT be dissapointed.

a good buff job by itself will run you around $100.......... a full detail (inside detail alond with engine cleaning and buffing) will run you around $200....... well worth the money.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #13
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
wrong........ what he is most likely refering to since im assuming his car hasnt been buffed are carwash scratches.

if you take your car threw an automatic car wash its gonna put scratches in the clear coat..... the more you go threw the was the worse they get.

the only good way to remove the scratches is by buffing the car. i started buffing cars about 10 months ago and let me tell you........ it makes such a difference in the look of the car its not even funny.

my advice to you is that if you dont know how to properly buff a car...... and you want your car to look like a million bucks...... take it to a professional and have them buff it out. you WONT be dissapointed.

a good buff job by itself will run you around $100.......... a full detail (inside detail alond with engine cleaning and buffing) will run you around $200....... well worth the money.

I second that.

I still like color cure, it works really good with a buffer. Whoever doesn't have one should really invest in one.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post

Not too sure if there's any place around here that does that... Would a dealership do it???
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
any dealership should offer detailing services

color cure wax is junk imo though.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
sofa
GL Member

sofa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sofa
colour cure doesnt come in white :P lol and that scratch X is garb. jus my 2 cents

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313940 http://www.myspace.com/kowch
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
SweetNLow
GLS member

scratch x works well if your trying ot hide one scratch....... and you dont know how to use a buffer.

its not ment for use on an entire car

Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #18
jaybs02
GX Member

jaybs02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaybs02 Send a message via Yahoo to jaybs02
If you are going to try to remove by hand it will be quite a bit of work.
Meg's ScratchX was designed to work by hand, great for smaller areas, but you can do the car it will just take a bit of time and ALOT of elbow grease.

You may want to get it professionally deatiled and then do the upkeep, aviod taking it to a dealership because generally they are just trying to make it look good for customer pickup, the will use products that contain plenty of fillers that will only cover the swirls... not remove them. All that will do is have your car looking the same way after a few washes.

Anyone that details for a dealership please do not take offense, but for the most part the majority of individuls just see it as work, I have known a number of people that have left dealerships because they took pride in their work but were told that they were taking too much time on the car and just get it done.

"J"

DetailCity.org - Supermod ... Join the obsesion
jaybs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Lucky for me, I know a dealership where the mech. does a great job and they don't rush to get things done...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
SweetNLow
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post

Anyone that details for a dealership please do not take offense, but for the most part the majority of individuls just see it as work, I have known a number of people that have left dealerships because they took pride in their work but were told that they were taking too much time on the car and just get it done.

"J"

i agree with you completely. i was doing a full recon on a car this week and was in the middle of buffing it. i had been working on the car for maybe 3 hours when one of my managers started bitching that i was "taking to long". i was like...... well wtf do you want it to look like?