Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Train horn setup is killing my car

OK I hooked up the horn today, I hooked the switch and compressor to the fuse box bolt. After hooking everything up, the car wouldn't start.

So I figured that the compressor line, which I put under the main wire, was interfering with the connection from the battery to the car so I undid that and the car started, weakly

The battery light came on, and I finally got the car started (after 3 tries) and it almost stalled, dropped down to 500 RPM and then shot back to idle and ran fine.

My dome light is dim and it flickers a bit, then stays lit normal after about 1 min. The gauge pod gauges are jumpy too. More so the voltmeter than the EGT gauge.

So I drove the car about for about 10 mintues, and it's still hard to start.

The train horn is going to get it's own battery, I can't risk the car breaking down like this.

How bad is my situation? Do I just need a good charge, or did I eff the alternator?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
uhh, id say you should take it to a pro and have THEM install it. cause it sounds like you hooked it up wrong
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
bigd6983

yea im with soundextreme.....you had to have wired it wrong somehow....what are the connections like?? does it have a relay? what wire hook ups are there? i doubt it pulls that much power that it wouldnt allow your car to run right, do you have a link to the horn maybe?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
yea dood i have mine connected to my battery and i just have a cutoff switch for it. Sounds like your pullin to much juice. Put a cutoff switch on the compressor

its fine while the car is on but if its off. its a killer
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I think I'm going to hit up a pro

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
again...seems like sooooooo much hassle to go through for a horn...
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
sound_xtreme
GLS member

Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
it's not if u know what ur doin. we'll hook it up at ASS, lol
Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
/\ true, it took me a hal hour to wire it up.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Wreckless
GX Member

Wreckless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Yeah I think I'm going to hit up a pro

Why you would want a train horn to begin with is beyond me but I have to say I admire you persistance to get this thing working.Id deffinately have a good laugh if I heard a train horn in a car when someone cut them off.LOL
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
if i could i would soooo get a train horn!!! ive never had to use my horn on my car yet and ive had it for almost 3 years........sorry, i used it once!!! lol
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
wiring is a bitch to someone who doesnt really know whats going on.........

brad remeber when you stopped by my place back in the summer time and my car was just sitting in the driveway? it was just sitting there cause i took my air tanks our and unwired abunch of my valves and shit and ended up effing stuff up. i still dont know exactly what i did to screw it up....... or exactly what i did to fix it....... but wiring is difficult if your not 100% positive of what your doing.....

thats why i go out to joels house when i have a big wiring job haha

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #12
sound_xtreme
GLS member

you called ME to fix it and walk you through it :x
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #13
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i did call you but you didnt help much trust me......... in that situion it was like a rocket scientist(you) trying to explain thermal dynamics to a monkey (me)

Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
wiring is a bitch to someone who doesnt really know whats going on.........

brad remeber when you stopped by my place back in the summer time and my car was just sitting in the driveway? it was just sitting there cause i took my air tanks our and unwired abunch of my valves and shit and ended up effing stuff up. i still dont know exactly what i did to screw it up....... or exactly what i did to fix it....... but wiring is difficult if your not 100% positive of what your doing.....

thats why i go out to joels house when i have a big wiring job haha

Yes, I do remember the HUGE mess that you had made trying to move your airtank down in the spare tire compartment. That is just something I wouldn't want to mess with. As I said before, if it was for something like air ride, then the headache might be worth it, but a horn, not so much.
A
I also remember your car was laying on a the ground. Low enough that you couldn't get a jack under it...thus I ended up spending alot more on new rotors that I had wanted to, but I guess it happens.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I took the car to the mech today to check the alt and battery out, they are both "low" but he says they should clear up in a few days of driving around. Car started right up this morning with no problem, but after I got home and restarted the car, it started and died, 2nd try, started right up. Voltmeter is at 14, it did spike at one point comming home to 18 for a super quick second (nanosecond) but back to normal ASAP.

The compressor works fine, we did get it running for a few seconds, but the wiring into the relay is were the problem is. He said I have great grounds, and the wiring is good, but he doesn't know the relay points.

I'm getting my windows retinted on Thursday, and they are going to look at it

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Like everyone has said so far though... once you get it working correctly... post a vid
sorrowfulkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
sound_xtreme
GLS member

heres how i would do it. if you wanted you could put a toggle switch on the ACC 12v+ Switched. fixed

Last edited by sound_xtreme : 02-12-2007 at 03:37 PM.
sound_xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #18
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

also dood make sure your relay and switch can handle a 30amp line. That was a problem i ran into with mine at first. Its a juice puller.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
SweetNLow
GLS member

ya the compressor draws a TON of current....... and another little tip..... dont touch the compressor or the line after its been running for awhile. that effer gets HOT

Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #20
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

u mean tha air line from it...not the power line, if your power line gets to hot then you have to small awg wire.