Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to polish my calipers. I sent something to ssbc and this is what I got...

Robert,
You can polish your aluminum calipers just like any other piece of
aluminum. The only things to keep in mind is not to go too deep when
sanding and do not get any polishing compound or aluminum shavings into
the caliper on the pads or rotors. You may want to rebuild the caliper
when done polishing so you know that there is not shavings in the seals.
Sincerely,

Bill

I really don't want to completely unhook my brake lines and everything so that I have to bleed the brakes...Do you think I could do this with the calipers on the car still??? Even if I unbolt the caliper itself, I just don't want to unhook the line... Thoughts, ideas, suggestions???

Edit: Also, I am thinking I will polish the caliper, and then paint the other piece red...do you think this would look ok???
Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

smlzalero is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO you should take them off the car to do this. And make sure you mask the guts of the caliper REALLY good if you don't want to rebuild it. That's a lot of sanding to not get any shavings in there. Good luck, these should look sweet

--UPDATE-- Have 6 months to start paying!
smlzalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i suggest polishing something other than ur calipers first. maybe ur intake manifold if u have the v6.

if uve never polished aluminum befor u dont know what ure getting into. its not gonna be a 30 minute per caliper job. and i hope u have air tools cuase i really doubt ull be able to get all the nooks and crannys otherwise.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
i say chrome your calipers, it will withstand the heat.

polishing can fade if you dont clear coat it.

trust me
Old 02-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #5
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i wouldnt chrome cuase then u may have issues of not getting the pads to fit back in the calipers becasue of the thickness the chrome has added... along with other issues.

just paint the dam calipers and be done with them

Old 02-18-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Sweet@Feb 18 2006, 02:57 AM
i wouldnt chrome cuase then u may have issues of not getting the pads to fit back in the calipers becasue of the thickness the chrome has added... along with other issues.

just paint the dam calipers and be done with them

im pretty sure you dont have to chrome 100% of the caliper.

just get the front dipped, cause thats all you'll ever see.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #7
SweetNLow
GLS member

no way ud have to chrome the whole thing to get it to look right. go look at ur calipers u can see way more than jsut the front

Old 02-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
Or just get them powder coated. 150 bucks to do all 4 calipers, rotors, and sliders. Mine have a "chrome" like appearance. It's more polished aluminum look and everything fit back together fine and all the brake parts are completely done, not just certain sides.
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
go ahead and have half the caliper dipped. that way when the alumin start to corrode where it isn't chromed starts to cause the chrome to peel don't come crying to us.

also most compnaies will charge the same to chrome half or all the caliper because it still has to be fully disassembled. why because it has to be fully dipped in cleaners before it even goes thru the chroming process. so if you are going to do it have the whole thing chromed.

to polish it then you could just polish the areas you want then use POR15 and clear the caliper and save yourself money and it will look and last as a completely chromed caliper.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetAlero99@Feb 17 2006, 08:54 PM
i suggest polishing something other than ur calipers first. maybe ur intake manifold if u have the v6.

if uve never polished aluminum befor u dont know what ure getting into. its not gonna be a 30 minute per caliper job. and i hope u have air tools cuase i really doubt ull be able to get all the nooks and crannys otherwise.

I understand what I am getting into...I have a buddy who I have followed through the polishing of his whole cbr900rr. I was thinking with my experience (or lack there of), maybe between 1-2 days??? I would be a little leary of the air tools because I don't want to sand too much...I have an 04 and I think the calipers are a little different than what your thinking...I have the 'waffle style' ones... But you guys think that once I masked the crap out of it...it would be possible to do it with them still on the car??? I don't want to pay $$$ for chrome or powder coat when I can spend 50 or less and polish them my self. Also, I understand there will be maintenance on them like maybe once or twice a month touch up the polish, is that the main reason you guys recommend the chrome/powdercoat? I don't want to paint them because I want to be different!

Thanks Guys,
Robert