Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Dies at idle

so this Grand Am i picked up with the LD9 runs like shit at idle, and occasionally dies, also has a nasty knock from cyl 1, wondering you guy's ideas on these issues, wanna get a general consensus before i tear into this thing
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
vacuum leak

ignition (spark plug issue, coilpack housing issue)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Ttop191
GLS member

checked for the vac, that was my first guess but no luck there, any clue about the knock?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
No you didn't. Boost leak test it. Actually pressurize the shit and listen and observe leaks using soapy water from a spray bottle. Spraying brake cleaner around doesn't necessarily identify leaks. Boost leak tests do.

2nd part is about the knock.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Ttop191
GLS member

replaced intake gasket, checked manifold for cracks, replaced plug boots....i'm lost here's a video...

Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
there has got to be a code thrown! check codes and report back!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Ttop191
GLS member

no idiot lights, but im gonna scan it tomorrow for previous...
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

so you pressurized it and listened for leaks? you checked the MAP sensor hose and all other hoses coming of the throttle body?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Ttop191
GLS member

pressurized no...but the gasket did help quite a bit, did check all hoses and they are not cracked or kinked at all

edit: i believe it has to do with an issue with the spark, and i hate the damn idi cover... chris how did you bypass that with coil packs?

edit 2: nevermind went to your upgrades site haha

Last edited by Ttop191 : 02-06-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Ttop191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

pressurizing is the only way to know that you've found every vacuum leak.

i haven't listened to the video yet

maybe the coilpack housing is burnt/cracked, look at it

i'm sure you pulled the plugs already and looked at them and replaced them right
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
sounds like a timing issue. Also check your timing chain and see if slapping.

If that isn't the noise then your lifters or something else in valve train is effed.

Check your coil housing for and cracks or burnt marks. I have seen the module go out and also the cam sensor.

Easiest way to figure out some of these things on the timing side is spend the $69.99 and have it scanned.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

saw the video

not a vacuum leak.
holy shit take off that timing cover and look inside!

pull the plugs too to see what they look like and look down into the cylinder to see if you can see anything bad.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
I never heard the video but take the springs out of the boote and strech them it prob needs it done
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Sure sounds to me like the Timing Chain is slapping
Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #15
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
sounds like a friends gfs grand am with 2.4. sounds a lot like it actually. on hers the lobes of the cams wereactually so worn down that they werent opening the lifters enough. i dont know what caused so much wear, but i dont think adequate amounts of oil were reaching the top half of the engine. hopefully youre issue isnt as serious. good luck. like others have said, at the very least, pull off the timing cover and take a look.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Ttop191
GLS member

was thinking timing when i first got it considering there was another chain in the trunk of it...what are you guys thinking, one link off or something?

but anyway theres definitely some spark jumping between the idi cover and the boots for the plugs, I'll hold off on this i guess, replace the engine in my jeep and wait on the la1 heads from matt, save this for another day..
Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
was thinking timing when i first got it considering there was another chain in the trunk of it...
Haha well that's an indicator. Whoever installed it was probably dumb as hell. Maybe they didn't release the tensioner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
but anyway theres definitely some spark jumping between the idi cover and the boots for the plugs, I'll hold off on this i guess, replace the engine in my jeep and wait on the la1 heads from matt, save this for another day..
What? All these are easy fixes. If you were local I'd do it for you.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
chain off, broken lifter, camshaft can be shot too because of that... look also at the timing chain pulley if they are not shot too...
I had similar noise on my second ld9 before I swapped it L67... guess what... broken camshaft/lifter disintegrated on 1 cylinder.... basically needed a new top end and also the engine had a good amount of blowby....
all that caused by a misshift... don get it in second gear at 140km/h with pedal to the floor.. I think it reeved to like 11 000rpm for about half a second and that was it...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote