Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
...yeah it was a bitch to reach back there

my arm has a large burn patch from when i had to wrap it up on the side of the road
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Yes! Smelling coolant inside th car is often the result from an engine coolant leak odor coming in from the HVAC syste, Switch to recycling interior air and you should notice that you don't get the coolant smell when that happens. That's the easiest way to rule out a heater core. That and it seems perty rare on these cars.

Were you inspecting for leaks with the engine running and warmed up? It's much easier to find them when the system is under pressure.

Isn't that what you have kids for?
My wife would kill me....lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
my arm has a large burn patch from when i had to wrap it up on the side of the road
Hoping to avoid that at all cost...now is it easier to get to it from the bottom of the car, and I'm wondering how much coolant will come out?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
no, the best way is through the top. it should be easier for you as you don't have a turbo and downpipe in the way, hehe.

lots of coolant will come out. shouldn't be more than 1 bottle replacement though (50/50) can't say for sure though..

i replaced it in the parking lot when i worked at autozone, didn't take too long.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
turboalero
GX Member

turboalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. Takes as long as you want it to. As with almost anything on a car, it's simply bolts and such. It's all just a matter of accessibility and how afraid you are to handle things.
2. DELPHI Part #HC0338 ($33.79)
3. Sounds like a bitch to me.

That would suck to have to pay someone to do things like this. My friend paid some place $200 to change his spark plug wires where the wires only cost $15 or so and I could've done it in 10 minutes..

Shops charge like $90/hour and then usually make up how many hours it actually takes. Like when I went to get an O2 bung welded on. Took 15 minutes. Heard them in the background "Just charge 'em an hour labor."

YEA HES RIGHT im a service writer and manager of a shop in VA. ill tell you this all shops are rip offs. like my shop i get in trouble if i dont over sell by at least an hour witch means 85 extra for the customer. an lil jobs like tune up PEOPLE DO IT YOUR SELF. cost us under 100 for tuneup parts, 1/2 to 1 hour of labor. and cost you 400-550.
turboalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Well I took it to a shop to have the entire system tested. Shop found two leaks. First was at the water outlet, second was at the quick connect....SO THEY SAY, but I figured I'd have it done whether it was true or not...its a 10yr old car and I haven't had to do much work to it since I've owned it.

Total cost was 166.97 plus tax for a total of 171.94. Work done was...pressure tested, system flush, Replace water outlet and seals, and quick connect heater hose.

Ironically I priced this job at another shop in town prior to the shop I went to, and they tried to charge me 266 plus tax.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
[ion] C2
636 whp

not bad

the water outlet and the quick connect are common failure spots.

i used the autozone replacement water outlet a couple times and then i made this:

(it's been significantly updated since this preliminary picture, including all pushlock barbs, all aluminum welded, no brass fitting anymore.)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
not bad

the water outlet and the quick connect are common failure spots.

i used the autozone replacement water outlet a couple times and then i made this:

(it's been significantly updated since this preliminary picture, including all pushlock barbs, all aluminum welded, no brass fitting anymore.)
Shit I like that...of course that would cost an arm and a leg retail.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Shit I like that...of course that would cost an arm and a leg retail.
I think the final version cost about $50.. of course he helps me out with labor for free, but I think he would make some for like $80. It changes the o-ring seal to a full surface gasket seal, no more leaks. Same with the coolant overlow o-ring seal, now you just use a nice hose.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
So, through all this research (even though it turned out not to be your problem) did anyone stumble into a step by step on 2002+ heater core replacement? I've already been through all the easy how-to's on the early models but it's not the same procedure apparently.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Bad coolant resevoir cap was also causing me problems. Since I replaced it I haven't seen any coolant leaking...knock on wood!!