Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #61
CrazzyCavanaugh
GX Member

CrazzyCavanaugh is on a distinguished road
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIBACH-3875-...8c369c&vxp=mtr

would these work on a 99 alero with the oem struts i would i have to buy specific struts?
CrazzyCavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #62
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
they will work, yes. but i would get aftermarket struts. the stock struts wont take kindly to lowering springs.

also you will need spring isolators for front and rear. if you dont it will be metal on metal and you will hear it clunk around. me, i just bought front isolators (it was around 70$ for the front set) then for the rear i just put duct tape (black) around the first coil of the spring on the bottom so it wasnt metal on metal. i read on a few forums that people do it as a cheaper way. and its completely safe and cheaper then spending another say 50$ on the rear. the top of the spring i didnt worry about because the top mount is rubber.

does that make sense?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #63
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
heres a little explination incase it doesnt make sense. kinda hard to see it on this pic but its all i got. basically where bottom of the spring sits on the spring perch plate you can see a little bit of black duct tape, what i did was set the spring on the strut to see where it touches metal to metal, then duct taped where it touched.

this one is without duct tape, you could honestly do it to all 4, but i felt doing atleast the front with isolators. but see where the spring touches the plate? you'll want to wrap that whole bottom spring in duct tape. (if you go that route)
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 03-27-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #64
Difflay
GX Member

Difflay is on a distinguished road
Okay so what all should you need to install these springs or if anything what could you do so you don't have to get that stuff?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #65
sleepyalero
GLS member

well, stock struts wont like lowering springs after awhile. so you might as well get some KYB gr2's or KYB AGX struts... springs of course, new mounts front/back. and id suggest the spring isolators in the front since there is more weight. the rear just use duct tape like shown above.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #66
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Are new mounts really required? I'm certainly not going to be doing any off roading but if agram ebachs and gt-2 are still around I'll be getting those. As long as they are in good shape should be ok right?
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #67
sleepyalero
GLS member

if those struts come with mounts you should be okay, but i wouldnt want to run new struts (0mile like i did) with 80+ thousand miles on them.

like when i did mine i wouldnt want 180k old mounts on brand new struts, might as well get new..
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #68
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Prospects are looking to be around 100,000 miles so I'm hoping I won't have to spend the extra cash. If I got to I got to though
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #69
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Its worth it.. never cheap out on suspension
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #70
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I won't have the option by the time I replace mine...I can hear that metal on metal rattling on metal sound so common in n-bodies and j-bodies that signifies that the mount has completely gone to hell...suspension has been bad the entire 28k that I have had the car, maybe someday I will have the extra dough to replace it
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #71
sleepyalero
GLS member

100k miles... id buy new mounts.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #72
TDavis
GX Member

TDavis is on a distinguished road
When I got my KYB's and Canucks I got monroe mounts.

Don't get KYB mounts, they suck.
Mods: Lowered on Canuck springs(1.75") on KYB GR2 struts with monroe mounts. SC/T hood/spoiler. Amber corner black housed headlights. Red LEDs for window/lock switches. White LEDs for map/floor/glovebox lighting. DRL and ALC delete. 20% Tint. 35w 3k HID fogs. Sport Edition KV5 Silver painted 18x8 35mm offset. Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. Badge delete. 12" PowerSlot slotted front brake upgrade w/ firebird dual piston calipers, rear slotted rotors. Borla Cat-back exhaust.
TDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #73
sleepyalero
GLS member

thanks tanner
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #74
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have any suspension parts for sale? I think someone was selling a setup for around $300 (can't remember who). Currently, I have all stock and the rear of my car is sitting lower than the front (I have around 125lbs. in the trunk) If I add canuck springs which is supposed to be a 2" drop, will the rear be too low, is there anything I can get to level the car out more?

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #75
sleepyalero
GLS member

A graham was selling the eibachs for 300 idk if he still has them.

Also your springs/struts are prob worn out.. New springs and struts would help her out evenly but with 125 lbs its might sit just a tad lower, also Canucks lower 1.75 inches. But after settling I think it's about 2 in.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #76
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
What would a full new setup cost me (kyb, springs, mounts)? Thanks for the info.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #77
sleepyalero
GLS member

i believe i have it posted on first page, it was around 700$ for my setup.

i think thats with the dealer putting all 4 springs on the struts for me, and i installed the suspension on the car myself. took me ohh.... just about an hr to swap all 4 struts out.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #78
S8track16
GL Member

Ok, thanks for the help.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #79
sleepyalero
GLS member

no problem, dealer charged 164$ to put the struts and springs together for me.

then from there its just take the old strut assembly out, and pop in the new. pretty simple, the rears will give you a tough time though.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
sleepyalero
GLS member

I would just like to post a better comparison for anyone who looks here for future reference. Found a stock alero awhile back so i took before and after shots on my setup compared to theres... Results are in!!!

My car is the black one of course....

Front:

Rear:

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: