Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
cnfire4
GX Member

cnfire4 is on a distinguished road
New member with a question

I am new to the forum. I've owned my alero for about 2 year now. At first I didn't like it, then I tried to trade it off but noone wanted it so I decided to clean it up and started seeing all the potential it had. I stumbled across this site by accident and have been reading all things alero for the past 2 hours. Now I have a general question and a specific question. I have the 99 4 Dr gx 2.4 automatic. I do not know what my engine or tranny specific names are. For instance ppl have posted about their 3400? I do not understand this.
Now for my specific question. I want to swap my 4 SPD auto for a 5/6 speed manual. This was myfirst car and the automatic was great for learning how to drive but I recently learned how to drivestick and prefer it greatly. I noticed the 01 alero ooffered a 5 speed manual and I was wondering if I got all the parts from one with the same engine as mine if it would be a simple matter of bolting it all on or if it would take a while to do? Any info would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting top know you all.
cnfire4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
smccarthy1883
GX Member

smccarthy1883 is on a distinguished road
I can answer one part of one of your questions. The 3400 is the 3.4 liter v6 motor that some Aleros came with. I personally have owned a 99 just like yours. I now own a 2003 with the v6. The people on here are very knowledgeable and will be able to answer most if not all of your questions. Welcome to the forum.
smccarthy1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
I on C2 did an auto to manual swap on a 2.4l. I think there is a thread about it. Milzy motorsports sells a 6 speed tyranny the f40. There are three cars on here that have it. There is a small problem with the axles but that is just minor. Other than that it is an awesome swap.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 6 speed 3400.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
To swap auto to manual you need the entire sub frame of the manual plus peddles cables etc and the pcm or hp tuners software to change the programming in your pcm... it can be done but would be better to find a car with the 5 speed for cheap and sell the auto

For the record ion (c2) bought a 5 speed and swapped his turbo motor over....

Also your motor is the 2.4 ld9 for reference purposes!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
cnfire4
GX Member

cnfire4 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies guys. I have really come to love my car and would hate to sell it. Partially because I bought it from a dealer so I paid more than what I can sell it for. Also noone seems to want to buy it so my only option is to either trade it in at a dealer and go back in debt or drop the sell price so low the only thing I could buy afterwards would be a Honda civic, which I really don't like ( no offense to any civic owners I just think they're over hyped) I just really want a manual and something that I can work on here and there to get more power but still use as a DD. Such conflictions
A guy I work with was telling me that since his truck had a model with a manual and all the cabs are mass produced that all of the parts just bolted right in to his truck. Including a punch out in the floor for the clutch... Not sure how much that would hold true for mine. Few questions.. What is a sub frame? Where do the master/ slave cylinders go? Is there a pre punched hole for a clutch in my car? And lastly I have the mother of all ridiculous questions that you'll all probably laugh at me for... Is it possible to convert to rwd? The alero has a rather large back end which I think would be great to make a drifter with but I'm sure this is not possible.. Thanks again for any answers.
cnfire4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
The sub frame is the piece that is holding the transmission and motor to the car.... being that the auto and manual are different this is why you need the sub frame for the correct mounting points of the manual transmission. Clutch and slave are up against the firewall with the fluid reservoir going basically right beside the fuse box under the hood....

As for spending lots on these cars, keep looking.... I bought a 99 2.4 auto for a bottle of tequila and then I bought a 2000 2.4 manual for $400... there are deals out there you just have to be willing to accept some rust and other work will need to be done before they are road worthy....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site from another member in The Volunteer State.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote