Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfast321 View Post
The I4 doesn't cycle, it's the same style as the v6. And as long as a a/c system is ran for 10 to 20 mins a week you will not have a problem.

I knew that and why I didn't do it thru the winter heaven only knows! Getting old sux!
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
If the refrigerant level is too low then the compressor will not run. The cooling fans also will not run at high speed until the AC system pressure reaches a set point. If the system isn't completely empty of refrigerant, then you can charge it to get by until you can repair the leak but some shops will refuse to recharge a leaking AC system. If the system is completely empty of refrigerant, then you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube along with repairing the leak.

There are leak detectors that work quite well or you can add dye and use a black light and special glasses to find the leak. The compressor case seam was leaking on mine so I bought a GPD compressor kit from Rockauto that comes with a brand new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and new seal kit. I installed everything myself and the AC works great.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
I am! PAG150 with ICE32, to be specific.

I inject it into my charging hose assembly then chase it with r134a. Having said that, if the oil really were escaping with the refrigerant I would have found the leak by now. Except maybe on the compressor. It's filthy since my LIM leak leaked all over it.

The system only requires a specific amount of PAG oil and adding too much can cause damage just the same as not having enough. I've seen refrigerant cans that also include oil in them, but in reality adding more oil probably isn't really necessary if just topping off the system charge. The AC system doesn't require a whole lot of PAG oil to begin with.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
Bluestreak
GX Member

Bluestreak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Does it sound like low Freon to you after what I said I did checking the fuses and making sure the relay clicks and that the compressor clutch clicked?
If the clutch is cycling, and the compressor doesn't make any strange noise when it starts up, it could be low refrigerant. Without gauge readings, it's one of many possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The system only requires a specific amount of PAG oil and adding too much can cause damage just the same as not having enough. I've seen refrigerant cans that also include oil in them, but in reality adding more oil probably isn't really necessary if just topping off the system charge. The AC system doesn't require a whole lot of PAG oil to begin with.
  • First - you're not going to "overadd" oil. It'll end up at the bottom of the accumulator, slowly adding itself to the refrigerant stream. The accumulator prevents the system from slugging the compressor with liquid (BAD!). Unless you add, say 4-6 ozs. or something ridiculous (WRONG!) ... which brings me to my next point...
  • Second - The maximum my oil syringe adds is 10 ml. My Alero just hit 68,000 miles and I had to add 3/4-lb. of R-134a. I would suggest adding 4~5-ml of oil to the low-side for every lb. of refrigerant you add. That's not excessive. That's maintenance.

Like I said, of course, you're NOT adding an entire can. Just a few cc's. If you've only added refrigerant to your system, and never added a bolster shot of PAG... well, NAPA sells good replacement kits for around $250-ish.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Our Saturn had over 140,000 miles and we never added any oil to the A/C and always did our own refills /shrug.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #26
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
my alero is at 180k never had the a/c serviced or refilled and when it was 90 on saturday and had it on I confirmed that it still has the ability to freeze you out of the car
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #27
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
my alero is at 180k never had the a/c serviced or refilled and when it was 90 on saturday and had it on I confirmed that it still has the ability to freeze you out of the car

You've owned it since it was new?
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I was with my aunt and uncle when they bought it new and have done most of the service since new
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
03glgold
GLS member

At around 50k miles it went from being their family vehicle (my aunts car) to my uncles work car and he was usually deployed during the summer so a/c didnt get used a whole lot being as it was usually in storage during a/c weather, so that may have some effect
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #30
dbailey
GL Member

Charged system and all is good. I guess not having to charge it for over 225,000 miles ain't so bad. Same compressor and everything. From what I've read I should consider myself REAL lucky! Shew!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Charged system and all is good. I guess not having to charge it for over 225,000 miles ain't so bad. Same compressor and everything. From what I've read I should consider myself REAL lucky! Shew!

Report back when you have to charge it again.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #32
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:

After having her for 11 years and over 200,000 miles she's for sale so don't plan on being the one that has to recharge it when it needs it again.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #33
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:

Sold it and the guy I sold it to said not long after he bought it that he had to get it charged again and it all leaked out again. Guess 230,000 miles on the original compressor just killed it. Hated that it happened to the guy I sold it to but I told him that I had just gotten it charged and dye put in it so I guess he forgot that I told him that when he had it recharged WITHOUT first checking for the dye.