Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
Ortz
GX Member

Ortz is an unknown quantity at this point
just a thuoght but look at the external grip heater kit.http://www.royaldistributing.com/07/...pper&Itemid=65
Ortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #22
Ortz
GX Member

Ortz is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry didnt work right,its on page 243 if ya want to check it out.just type it in at the top.
Ortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
My heated mirrors are a window scraper.

See, He knows what it's like to be a Canadian on the east.

SCRAPE THE DAMN CAR!.

Lol.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 AM   #24
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
If enough people were interested, it may be possible to get aftermarket glass made by Muth, who also does the signal mirrors.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #25
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
If enough people were interested, it may be possible to get aftermarket glass made by Muth, who also does the signal mirrors.
I'd be in if it was possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadus101
See, He knows what it's like to be a Canadian on the east.

SCRAPE THE DAMN CAR!.

Lol.
Sometimes no matter how much you scrape, that thick coat of ice on the mirriors just refuses to come off. There's been times when I'd try to chip it away with the scraper, literally hit the glass, and the ice still didn't break or chip.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 10-05-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #26
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post

I have no idea who that is... see if you could get a price quote, and i think we'd see some frozen weather members jump on the wagon.

and yeah... scraping works.... but not all the time. i'd rather have to just not worry about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #27
Cliff8928

Only thing is that I'm not sure if they make them without the signals. Would you want LED (amber or red) signals in your glass too? I guess you could just not hook them up.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Just a thought, maybe only a heat source behind the mirror, attach the the plastic piece could heat the plastic enough to heat the glass through it?

Also, isn't the plastic piece glued to the glass part of the mirror? Therefore, maybe you could separate them with some heat in the same way we do for our headlights? (even if its not silicone this time)
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
Intrigues have heated mirrors too try one of those, you have to get a body colored one though and a 1999 and up because only GL GLS's have the heater mirrors the GXs do not.
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #30
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
^intrigue mirrors won't fit. oldsnut found that out back on page one.

and if you remove the plastic, there won't be anyway to connect it back into the mirror. so we'd need to heat parts while not distorting the mounting equip...

and i think heating the plastic, while possible, would result in terrible condution of heat and take FOREVER.

and cliff... i'm sure if people were going to group buy (like it'd every actually happen.. ) i don't think anyone would mind having turning signal lights in their mirror as well...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #31
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
^intrigue mirrors won't fit. oldsnut found that out back on page one.
and cliff... i'm sure if people were going to group buy (like it'd every actually happen.. ) i don't think anyone would mind having turning signal lights in their mirror as well...
On the first page I said that My Aurora mirrors wouldn't fit, but as luck has it I also own an Intrigue. The mirrors from an Intrigue will not fit either, same basic shape but 1/2' longer.

Cherry, don't be totally negative about the group buy thing, we just got a group together on the swaybar group buy. Could always check with the guys on GAGT forum to see if there is any interest.

I would go to a dealer and see if the can check for mirrors that are interchangeable with the Alero's.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #32
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
HERES A GOOD THING TO MELT THE ICE, A DAMN BLOWDRYER! get a hookup for your car where you can plug the blowdryer into and put the dryer up to the mirror. what the hell do you wanna do all this for, just for mirrors??? wtf, i scrape the ice off my mirrors....its not that hard. It would take longer for the ice to melt with defrosters than it would if you just took 15 seconds to scrape the mirror. LMAO.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #33
cherrington17
Gone

^why have a blowdryer, when i can build one into the back of the mirror?

and oldsnut, i thought the swaybar group buy fell through for some reason... my bad. Although this thread is getting alot more attention then i thought it would. So it certainly is possible. If someone registered on gagt wants to throw the idea up over there, feel free. I'm open to as much electrical/group help on this as it needs to get it done.

I'll have some time next semester to play around (once it gets warmer) if i could get a set of donor mirrors...
Old 10-06-2007, 01:00 AM   #34
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
wtf, i scrape the ice off my mirrors....its not that hard.
Around you, maybe it's not that hard. Around here, when there's a thick coat of ice on there, it's that hard. Sometimes you can scrape for 5-10 minutes straight and the thick ice will still be there, so you end up saying F it and driving away. Like I said in my other post, there's been times when I've taken the sharp corner of the scraper and hit the ice to get it to break and it doesn't budge.The only way to get the ice off the mirrors would be to heat them. Buffalo winters are not friendly to cars at all.

This is a very good idea, and I would have no problem having turn signals in the mirror glass.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 10-06-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #35
Cliff8928

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

And another thing.... The '99-'01 mirrors are different from the '02-'04. Just slightly, but nonetheless different.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #36
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Around you, maybe it's not that hard. Around here, when there's a thick coat of ice on there, it's that hard. Sometimes you can scrape for 5-10 minutes straight and the thick ice will still be there, so you end up saying F it and driving away. Like I said in my other post, there's been times when I've taken the sharp corner of the scraper and hit the ice to get it to break and it doesn't budge.The only way to get the ice off the mirrors would be to heat them. Buffalo winters are not friendly to cars at all.

This is a very good idea, and I would have no problem having turn signals in the mirror glass.

like i said, A BLOWDRYER..... cost about 10 bucks. Its not rocket science.

WInters are pretty bad over here too, its too much of a hassle to pull the mirrors apart and shit, just for little defrosters?! lmao, just use a damn blowdryer. wowwwwww
Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #37
xbxradxsx
GX Member

xbxradxsx is an unknown quantity at this point
cherrington, i think that you should put up that pic from before or at least a link so some of these people understand.
-Red 04 Coupe, 2.2 eco, 20% tint all around, Cosmo wai, Sprint springs, both speedbuilt sway bars,18" black Enkei Ls5's -Future plans: Kyb agx's, front and rear stb's, and a lil more in the planning...
xbxradxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #38
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
ok, i pulled my driver mirror off and pulled the plastic off the back of it...it seems very do-able to put a grid on there. it was glued on with five adhesive "discs" that broke free with very gentle bending and prying. I used some trim adhesive to glue it back together, shouldn't be any reason for it not to hold, since that's fundamentally what it's for...but i suppose i'll find out if i'm wrong sooner or later. I should have taken some pictures. Also, maybe i should find out if the adhesive is dielectric...hmm
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #39
cherrington17
Gone

depending on how the grid connects to the heating portion...

you might be able to take the plastic off, put the grid on it, drill a hole in the plastic for the connections, mount the plastic back on, and just connect the wires. ??

it'd certainly make it hidden, and functional. only part i worry about is the adhesive breaking from cold+heat+cold+heat....etc.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #40
cherrington17
Gone

also just had someone recommend using "resistor wire" its the stuff they wind the wire in, inside resistors. That will definitely heat. I found some on Ebay. 46gauge. I think its possible... but prefab or the grid method still seem to be front runners for this. I'd like to find out if these could be bought instead of made. (make everyone's life easier. )