Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
How To: Fix rear window defroster

I did it today, boy it feels good to have a rear window defroster after being broken for about 5 years. I just wanted to know how to do it before tearing into the job, plus I always thought it was the modular itself that was bad, but it's the plug that melts causing the defroster to not work

Tool for the job.

Breaker bar (3/8 drive)
10mm socket (1/4 drive)
1/4 drive socket
3/8 drive socket
t-50 socket (3/8 drive)
Thick pilers
small screwdriver
wire stripper and connecters for no soder

and for sodering
Sodering iron
Thinest electrical soder as possible

Remember some steps are for 2 door models only

1. (2 door model) Use a T-50 to remove the seat belt bolt, use a breaker bar if necessary, it will move

2. Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry out the plastic pin holding in the coat hook.

3. Fold down the rear seat.

4. Gently pull the trim piece away from the body. Work around the edges.

5. (2 door model???) Pull out this small panel. This prevented me from pulling the panel completely off the body. This has the hinge bar going thru for the fold down seats. Just pull and leave hang

6. Now you can see the mod on the "C" pillar

7. Unplug the window connectors

8. Unplug the main plug from the mod. I pulled mine thru the seat belt area.

9. Use a 1/4 drive socket and a 10mm socket to remove the bolt from the body

10. Pull the mod down and out from the seat belt area, and unplug the radio antenna

11. Now both plugs are free

12. As you can see in step 8, the plug is melted away.Now you can cut the plug off and go to Step 13, or you can do this for sodering. Get the small screwdriver you used to remove the coat hook in step 2, and jam into the sides of the remaining plug. If it's melted away, it should be easy to break.

13. To finish the job, a nice beefy pair of plyers to crack the casing off

14. Remove the plug from the wires. You are not reusing the plug so it doesn't matter if you break it, just don't break the connecters inside it.

15. Open the mod around the egdes with the same small screwdriver. I bought another at the junkyard beforehand becuase I though the mod was the problem

16. Take off both sides until you see the board. Don't lose the rubber piece for the window plugs. Be sure to put it back in later

17. You can soder the the termials. The black wire goes on the right side, and the green goes on the left.

18. Be sure to remove as much of the plug from the black wire as possible. Use a small screwdriver, or wire brush to do the job, take care to not damage the plug.

19. While working, you can use the seat back hook to hold up the mod. Just put the wires in the hook

20. I wasn't happy with the sodering, so I cut the plugs off as close as I could, stripped the wires, and put connecters on them. I took care to put the connecters on in such a way that if they disconnected, they wouldn't touch the other side. I also put a small piece of electrical tape around the green wire's connceter.

21. Put everything back in reverse order. Be sure the wires don't come unpluged while putting it back. You can use electrical tape to tape the body of the mod closed, or to tape to the body of the car. Be sure the bolt is tight and the hook is back in the hole. I believe this is grounded here.

It works in my car now, going to keep an eye on it and make sure it's OK!!

After the job is done, band-aids and Neosporin

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 01-03-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
ah ha! so its the plug that melts!

i've been trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with mine-

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
thanks a ton, Ken. this winter I will have to pull mine apart to see is same things is wrong with mine.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Pretty nice How To. I had to replace mine also once I got the car few months back. Atleast you were lucky that it was the only plug, mine melted on both places. So for those that have a problem, check first
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Wow, ken did a how to!! AND has mostly non blurry pics for small pieces. I'm impressed. Good job,thanks for the addition.

Btw, it's solder not soder. I at the cold heat though... I hate those things, but good to know some people use them
Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I changed mine about one year ago, But I didnt have a T-50, so I just pried the trim and went under it without really seeing anything, fun stuff.

Mine was also melted in both places, had to change them both.

I will probly run into the same problem again, because I just put a new connector in.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
Wow, ken did a how to!! AND has mostly non blurry pics for small pieces. I'm impressed. Good job,thanks for the addition.

Btw, it's solder not soder. I at the cold heat though... I hate those things, but good to know some people use them

I have a few How To's.

Yeah teh cold heat didn't do a very good job Glad I just borrowed it

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
they(coldheat) are good for joining two wires... and thats it.

and they eat batteries quicker then digital cameras....
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I just didn't want to use a real soldering iron in the car. Might burn the carpet

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
Wow nice, I'm gonna have to check mine out... It hasn't worked since I got the car
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
great job!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

*UPDATE*

Tried it last night, not too much fog on the windows, but it clearing it up in about 2 mintues. Didn't smell any burning, however I'm still keeping an eye out, or should I say nose

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

i could just imagine linda freaking out as you crawl outta the driver's seat to go take a look at it... while on a busy highway....
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
i could just imagine linda freaking out as you crawl outta the driver's seat to go take a look at it... while on a busy highway....

Meh, she doesn't like riding in the Alero, but that would be funny though

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
sorry about reviving an old thread,

can you just buy the new connectors? do we have a part #?
i dont want to solder.... i know mine has not worked in years...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

if you can solder it together... why bother buying the parts? solder is like... 1.69 for a big tube of it. it would take... maybe... 5 minutes.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
if you can solder it together... why bother buying the parts? solder is like... 1.69 for a big tube of it. it would take... maybe... 5 minutes.

then have a mini electrical storm behind my seat!!!! what if im doing something!?!?!?!?!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

electrical storm? your soldering 2 wires and then just putting a little tape between them to prevent them from touching.

done.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
mine got really burnt. it melted the plastic casing and there was melted solder in the bottom of the case as well. Should I try to hook it up to see if it works or should i just get a new one?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

If you can get the melted plastic off the prongs and wires, I say solder

www.facebook.com/kb0177