Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
Coolant leak

I started having coolant leaks last week, took a look and it was coming out of the water outlet. Replaced it as it was broken... you'd think that the problem was solved... nope!

Now I'm losing about the same amount of coolant but I can't see an external leak. With the car running and filled with coolant, I would wait for the car to warmup and look underneath and not a drip... The oil looks okay and not milky... no smoke out of the pipe. The heater is working fine too. 20 minutes of driving and the tank would get empty... Can't figure out where my coolant is going. Could anyone help?
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Leaking intake manifold? Your thermostat is stuck open? Head gasket? check em all
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The replacement water outlet tends to fail too. I made a custom aluminum one that uses the entire surface on the head as a sealing surface instead of just a crappy o-ring.

But more than likely, your leak is coming from the plastic "quick-connect" behind the engine where a metal pipe from the water pump connects to a hose going to your heater core. That plastic piece can be broken, and you can put a new hose right over the metal pipe and hose clamp it.

Or lower hose, upper hose.

Or the metal bleeder pipe going into the side of the water outlet with its tiny little o-ring that fails.

Otherwise, possible head gasket. My oil looked fine and exhaust wasn't smokey either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
Leaking intake manifold?
Umm.. the intake manifold holds air, not coolant.
Quote:
Your thermostat is stuck open?
Thermostat controls when fluid flows internally through the system, it doesn't play a part in external leaks (that I've ever seen).
Quote:
Head gasket?
Not likely unless there's overheating issues as well.

Also the coolant cap might be bad. (or tank cracked).
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
bentiac
GL Member

I'll go and try again to locate it but the leak isn't starting until I'm driving so I'll have to drive it around the block and then check.
There is no heating issue until the coolant gets low enough. If it's the head gasket, I'll have to say goodbye to the car... less than 120,000 KM and I have replaced the engine once and fixed almost everything there is to fix...
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I've had coolant leaks recently at the water outlet, the upper radiator hose (obvious though), and the quick connect at the back of the engine going to the pipe.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
bentiac
GL Member

Interesting enough, it's all coming out of the overflow pipe! I had the car running for half an hour and no leak... the fluid level stays the same. I went around the block and came back and the tank was empty with a big dump under my overflow pipe. Bad reservoir cap???

Last edited by bentiac : 02-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Yep.......that's what it sounds like to me....
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like that to me too. Once that pressure gets released, all the coolant wants to go there.. higher pressure to lower pressure...

Not to scare you but that's a sympton of when the head gasket goes, too. Excess pressure in the cooling system. Hopefully it's just something minor.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
bentiac
GL Member

It was just the cap... fixed now... was very close to take it to the car auction and get rid of it. phew!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentiac View Post
It was just the cap... fixed now... was very close to take it to the car auction and get rid of it. phew!

Hmm you just needed that little rubber ring that seals it? Cause that might be whats causing me to fill it every 3 days..
And the thermostat was a problem in my car... had to replace it so i would stop burning away all my coolant.. :S LIMG was what was wrong the first time when i was loosing coolant.
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
bentiac
GL Member

I replaced the whole cap... it wasn't keeping the overflow under pressure and everything was just being pushed out.

My problem with the water outlet was real.... it had two big cracks in it but then because I had to open and close the cap a few times before I had the outlet fixed, the cap became defective too.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I have an interesting problem with my coolant cap...the part that screws in to the reservoir has separated from the top part used to screw it in. Crazy...but it still seems to seal properly.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
I have an interesting problem with my coolant cap...the part that screws in to the reservoir has separated from the top part used to screw it in. Crazy...but it still seems to seal properly.

Yeah, get a new (GM, not parts store) one soon.

I went through 3-4 of those caps, they separate, then you can only get it off with pliers or a screwdriver, and it might explode. I had one break apart and the spring shot out, shrapnel went all over.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Yeah, get a new (GM, not parts store) one soon.

I went through 3-4 of those caps, they separate, then you can only get it off with pliers or a screwdriver, and it might explode. I had one break apart and the spring shot out, shrapnel went all over.
Good advice...I've been putting it off for awhile now.