Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
audioguy1301
GX Member

audioguy1301 is on a distinguished road
Spun a Rod.

Well I bought a 2001 Alero 2.4 about a month ago and it looks like like I spun a Rod. So my plans are to rebuild a stock motor as much as i hate that. So my question is if someone knows of a good Thread that has a detail parts list that i can read or a web site that has good info on there build? My main goal is to find a master rebuild kit that's for a 2001 2.4( I want to get the slugs that are 9.7:1)? I know of A few sites listed below but Im looking to see if other people had issues with them or might of found a different company that has better parts?

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsbuick.html - The issue here is they don't come with pistons

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

http://www.rockauto.com

Any help would be great.
audioguy1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
http://jbody.org/ those cavalier/sunfire guys have the same motor as you and have done some crazy stuff to them in the past.

Also [ion] C2 just put his 2.4 back together and has it on the road again. He's the guy you'll want to talk to.. He basically knows the 2.4 inside and out and has went from supercharing to turbo charging.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
other people would have to clarify but i believe you could do a high compression build for not a lot of extra cost...i know for the ecotec the high compression pistons are the same price as the regular ones...it would be other things that might have to be tweaked
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
turboalero
GX Member

turboalero is on a distinguished road
Are you planning to run any power adders like boost or juice? If not don't rebuild it u can get a used engine between 200-600. I got mine with 38k for only $200.00. And sell the old block to a person that wants to build u could get 150.00 back
turboalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
audioguy1301
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
http://jbody.org/ those cavalier/sunfire guys have the same motor as you and have done some crazy stuff to them in the past.

Also [ion] C2 just put his 2.4 back together and has it on the road again. He's the guy you'll want to talk to.. He basically knows the 2.4 inside and out and has went from supercharing to turbo charging.

I will look for C2 and see what i an find. I've been on j-body and Quad4 just as much as here. It's very hard to find rebuild kits that don't have cheap parts in them.

Also with the whole supercharger, turbo, or other power adders from what i can tell and other past projects( 91 eclipse gsx), it can get very expensive. Unless Im missing a turbo or supercharger thread thats low budget($1500) build. In addition, I live in California and have the whole emission crap that i have to deal with.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get a "kit" then. Buy what you want.

All you need are pistons, rods, bearings, possibly a crank if yours is damaged. Just take it to an engine shop and have them rebuild it.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
The cost is all going to depend whats is damaged if you want a factory rebild new rod, rod bearing, and if crank isnt ruined it shouldnt be terrible
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
audioguy1301
GX Member

A good friend and I are going to do the rebuild. So the plan is to go and pull a motor from the junk yard and rebuild it. I have a budget of about $1500.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck. Hopefullly he knows how to check clearances and get parts machined for proper fit and balance. Bottom end work is not something I would do just with a buddy in a home garage. Machining is important.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
It would be much cheaper just to install a junkyard motor.....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Im pretty much in the same boat is you (almost)

Check my thread,

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35672

And see here for a pretty good rod and piston combo,

http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...jnw_index.html
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
audioguy1301
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Good luck. Hopefullly he knows how to check clearances and get parts machined for proper fit and balance. Bottom end work is not something I would do just with a buddy in a home garage. Machining is important.

This shouldn't be to bad. Together we have rebuilt a few motors, as well as several race motor. I just have to find a service manual and we should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
It would be much cheaper just to install a junkyard motor.....

The only probiem is you don't know the history, looks like the motor thats in the car right now was from the junk yard. So it's just better off to be safe and rebuild it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
audioguy1301
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
Im pretty much in the same boat is you (almost)

Check my thread,

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35672

And see here for a pretty good rod and piston combo,

http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...jnw_index.html

Interesting, my one question is if you bump your compression up and do all the other supporting mods(Cams, 2.3 oil pump, air intake, and full exhaust) can you get away without tuning the computer. Because tuning is a lot more money on top of any build.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Intake headers and exhaust you dont "need" fo tune
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy1301 View Post
The only probiem is you don't know the history, looks like the motor thats in the car right now was from the junk yard. So it's just better off to be safe and rebuild it.

Personal preference. I have run several junkyard motors, some under boost and never had a problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

if it doesn't knock or leak, and has good compression, it doesn't really matter what the history was