Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #21
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
guys keep me posted on this.

especially some technical info and how and what they exactly do is very appreciated.
As I assume that export models wont be tangled by that recall - or I dont wanna drive 5 hours to the next real GM dealership that would do the work
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The recall sitation probably affects export models as well... It's the same thing as the Toyota situation, they had to recall cars worldwide. I know China was the 2nd biggest market affected by the sticky pedal situation.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
falloutboy
GL Member

alright, as soon as the US Dealerships know anything specific about it (maybe a dedicated TSB Number ) I'll contact the German GM Dealership I know.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #24
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Well in the Chrysler world, they are recalling a 20 year old car (the ZJ Grand Cherokee) so it's not too surprising.

To That 01Olds, it does cover the 1997 Malibu and 1999 Grand Am as well.

This is true it does. It also covers the 98-02 Intrigue, 00-05 Impala and Monte Carlo, and 04-08 Grand Prix. I actually remember on my Intrigue I could pull one of the keys out of the ignition while I was driving and the car would still run with no key in the ignition. So I guess it's a good thing they're finally recalling the cars for this issue. It sucks that it took almost 2 decades for some of these cars, but at least GM is recognizing the problem and correcting it. My old HHR was recalled too for the same issue and the funny part is it was already recalled once before for the ignition for a different issue. Then the key was known to get stuck in the lock position and the car wouldn't turn off if it was running and wouldn't release the key out of the igniton.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #25
falloutboy
GL Member

lol seems like the ignition lock supplier of GM had a serious design issue Or the requirements catalog was off the real problems its going to face.

Non the less, it would be quite nice to hear if the normal GM dealerships have the necessary paperwork and start the work on it, so I can ask my dealership here
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I assume that if I haven't already bypassed Passlock (I intend to do the resistor mod) that I should wait until after the recall work has been done?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #27
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...06&postcount=1

The solution won't be a new ignition switch at all, it will be sending additional detachable key rings to owners (allowing drivers to disconnect their car key from the rest of their key chain to reduce strain on the system) and/or inserts designed to fit within the ignition key head itself to alter the keyring attachment loop from a slot to a hole (because the slot can cause the weight of the keychain to hang asymmetrically, thereby increasing the amount of torque on the key and as a result, the switch.

I do not understand the second solution (more like a band aid).
Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

The solution won't be a new ignition switch at all, it will be sending additional detachable key rings to owners (allowing drivers to disconnect their car key from the rest of their key chain to reduce strain on the system) and/or inserts designed to fit within the ignition key head itself to alter the keyring attachment loop from a slot to a hole (because the slot can cause the weight of the keychain to hang asymmetrically, thereby increasing the amount of torque on the key and as a result, the switch.

basically the second solution makes the keychain hang in the center of the key head, that way it eliminates the lever action of a heavy keyring pulling on the key to one way or the other. by hanging in the center it takes away the turning force on the key.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #29
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

In other words it's what a lot of GM enthusiasts have been saying when this issue first arose that the problem is not the ignition switch but the owners that hang janitor keys, pictures of graduation and their newborns on the keychain. So their solution is to make the key detach from the keychain or center the key ring so the weight won't pull the key down and accidentally turn it. Although the flaw with this is that the weight of the keychain will pull the key down eventually, even if it's centered and no one will actually detach the key from the keychian and if they do they will probably forget the key in the car or lose the key. So it's more like placing gauze on the cut until it starts clotting.

It all boils down to what I've been saying for a while, that if GM is forced to replace the ignition switch because the weight of the key has made it non functional then a lot of manufacturers will have to do the same thing, so part of this ends up being the precedent it sets if GM changes all ignition cylinders because owners are dumb enough to keep 500 pounds worth of keys with the car key instead of using the remote as the keychain and leaving the key be on the ring with the remote.

We all know that the Grand Am, Alero, and Malibu have a bigger issue with the ignition and it goes by the name of passlock but they will not address this, nor VATS (the earlier keys with the pellets in them) although they pose a greater safety issue than the car turning off by a bump since in the case of the Cobalt, the car can be restarted but if the security system prevents it from starting, you can easily be in the middle of a interstate with no way to move the car thus making you a big target for a rear end collision.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #30
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
lol seems like the ignition lock supplier of GM had a serious design issue Or the requirements catalog was off the real problems its going to face.

Non the less, it would be quite nice to hear if the normal GM dealerships have the necessary paperwork and start the work on it, so I can ask my dealership here

Lol yeah I guess GM decided it was a good idea to use the same ignition components for 2 decades on just about every car they made. Like others have said the issue seems to be that if your key chain is to heavy the key can switch from the run position to off which then locks the steering wheel and shuts off the engine. Although my key chain isn't heavy at all and I can still pull the key out of the ignition on my Intrigue while it was running with very little effort.

As for the dealers having the paperwork. I'm not sure about the Alero, but I know they've already started fixing the issue on the HHR. One of the guys on the HHR forum said he had one in and his other one was going in the following week. So at least here in the U.S. you're probably going to be waiting for an appointment to get it taken care of.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #31
zzyzzx
GLS member

Do I need to make an appointment to pick up a keychain thingy?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
zzyzzx
GLS member

Something actually showed up on the GM recall webpage (https://recalls.gm.com/#/) today:

The following recalls have been found for your 1999 Oldsmobile Alero

Results last updated: Aug 07, 2014

GM Recall #: N140350 NHTSA Recall #:14V400 Date Issued: Jul 03, 2014

Recall Title:
Unintended Key Rotation (PENDING REMEDY) - * DRIVE WITH A SINGLE KEY ONLY *

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2000-2005 MY Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, 1997-2005 MY Chevrolet Malibu, 1999-2004 MY Oldsmobile Alero, 1998-2002 MY Oldsmobile Intrigue, 1999-2005 MY Pontiac Grand Am, and 2004-2008 MY Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles. If the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle goes off road or experiences some other jarring event, it may unintentionally move the key away from the run position. If this occurs, engine power, power steering and power braking may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

Safety Risk Description:
The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that customers remove all items from their key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring.

Repair Description:
Dealers are to install two key rings and key cover on all ignition keys free of charge.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

I have a recall but there is no immediate remedy, what should I do?
If there is no remedy yet, then GM is working diligently to identify the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or your dealer.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 08-08-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
falloutboy
GL Member

Thanks
much obliged
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
So a keyring and cover are all that they're doing?
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #35
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
So a keyring and cover are all that they're doing?

Yes. Laughable, but true just the same.