Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
AsianAlero
GX Member

AsianAlero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AsianAlero
electronic air intake???

Has anyone seen or heard of these came across one on ebay and amazon has one also its like $350 says it adds 15-25 hp connects to your intake filter?
Would this actually work. If you google it should come up electronic intake.
Discuss and would it be worth it?
AsianAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
not sure exactly what you are talking about but if you are talking about the intake with a fan in it. its a waste of money.
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerocar01 View Post
not sure exactly what you are talking about but if you are talking about the intake with a fan in it. its a waste of money.

x2 The eletric fan drains so the car has to work harder to keep charge regulated. big waste. someone wrote an article.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
putting anything electric onto your throttle body that wasn't supposed to be there is not worth it. the power gain that you get from the extra air is offset by the power needed to recharge the device with the alternator.

edit: okay 3 posts that say the same thing...it's right.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ewpost&t=16520
please read
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Some say these are crap, some say they work. That e-ram one puts out 1-2PSI, and supposedly is a lot more powerful than a leaf blower (from their videos of comparison). They've got sheets showing improvement in numbers, too. Their FAQ has a lot of information on it, saying supposedly it doesn't draw too much current from the alternator, or require fuel modifications, and actually works. *shrug* Judge it what you will. It looks legitimate to me, but for that price, I won't try it. Free demo maybe, but they're "all out."

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 02-14-2007 at 03:49 PM.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Actually most of these units will hurt your performance, and the reason why isnt touched in this thread so far.

Basically the bilge fan cant produce enough CFM. So your cars intake will be fighting the fan for even more air...
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The dyno sheets/videos say different, though.. It looks as if 3x more CFM of air is being forced through than a leaf blower, and the leaf blower provided significant increases on the dynamometer. I'd have to see one in person, though..
Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
^its simple physics as to why this wouldnt work...and those sheets can easily be forged to sell a gimmick...

i really dont feel like explaining it right now since i got some physics homework and calculus homework to finish up tonight

Last edited by number1alero : 02-14-2007 at 08:31 PM.
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

If something can force air into the intake, providing 1-2 PSI of boost, that means it is providing more air than what the engine is sucking in.. simple physics. If a leaf blower can provide 10HP, then an electric supercharger that puts out almost three times as much CFM must work.

That reminds me, I have a Physics test tomorrow, and AP Calculus homework, too. But I'm just basing this on logic.

Actually, here's some more info on the matter from http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/bette...20supercharger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LymanSS
I own a business that specializes in aftermarket turbos, so I'll share a little of what I know. This might help you out a little. As others have stated, you can't just consider the CFM. That's simply how many cubic feet of air are moved. You have to consider the pressure of that air. A typical factory turbocharger might product between 5 and 10 PSI. Some more aggressive systems run up into the teens. If you look at the electric turbochargers on ebay and such, you will find that most of those are bilge fans for boats. They are incapable of producing any significant increase in pressure. They may flow high volume, but if you tried to get them to flow agains a 1 psi pressure differential, you would get virtually 0 volume. The E-ram seems legit. The motor is strong, and I can believe the 1 PSI claim. That's not nearly as much boost as a real turbo system would get you, but it's worth having. To evaluate their product I bought one. While the idea is good, the build quality is not. E-Ram superchargers are (in my humble opinion) very poorly built. The housing was made of cheap plastic that flexed so much that the fan blades kept hitting the housing. I ordered the one with the dual inline motors, and when it arrived, one of the motors was burnt out. However the motor that did work seemed up to the task of producing one pound of boost on a relatively small engine.

If someone wants to make a real, decent electric supercharger, I think there would be a good market for it, provided you made a decent product. But there is a catch. Contrary to what was said above, there's more to it than upgrading your injectors. If that were the case I'd have a turbo kit out for every car on the market. The powertrain control module of most cars is capable of measuring the air coming into the intake and adjusting the fuel delivery to acheive a proper air to fuel ratio - up to a point. First off, most of them can not sense pressure above atmospheric. That means that as soon as you develop boost, you are puting more air into the engine than it realizes. Second, they can only adjust the fuel curve up to a certain percent. So if you are blowing a whole lot of extra air in there it'll have trouble making it work. Third, the engine isn't that great at getting the air-fuel ratio correct once it's working very far out of the territory for which it was programmed. The best way to do it is to put the turbo on there, run it on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor and then completely re-program the computer. That's the hard part.

The E-ram skirts around this by producing only one pound of boost. That's not enough to throw the computer way off, but just enough to make a measurable difference. If you could come out with something that produced a solid 3-5 psi then you might have a seriously marketable product with genuine performance potential.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 02-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Some say these are crap, some say they work. That e-ram one puts out 1-2PSI, and supposedly is a lot more powerful than a leaf blower (from their videos of comparison). They've got sheets showing improvement in numbers, too. Their FAQ has a lot of information on it, saying supposedly it doesn't draw too much current from the alternator, or require fuel modifications, and actually works. *shrug* Judge it what you will. It looks legitimate to me, but for that price, I won't try it. Free demo maybe, but they're "all out."

yeah, I can pull up dyno sheets all day long from all over the internet and claim they are from my car.

Can you imagine, if it produces more power than a leaf blower, it must therefore take more electric power than a leaf blower. Why not plug a leaf blower into a converter and plug that into your cig lighter and see how well it works?

Just a thought.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

I thought of that, but on the site (which is, of course, now down when ya need it) it said how much it drew from the power source, and it wasn't much.

I'm going to find a powerful fan (more than the ones these e-supercharger places sell) that uses low power and test it out.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
^good luck *laughs*

Dont burn your motor up!
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

Indeed, they don't seem to sell 12v DC fans that put out enough power under 3 inches in diameter. Oh well.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
that went totally way over your head ... nevermind
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
ion has now officially earned his park bench spoiler.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Hah, yea. I saw these n thought about building my own as something to do... then realized how loudicrous (sp?) it is.
Seriously, how fast do turbos spin? I don't know for sure but it sticks in my head something like 50,000rpm or so (am I right? I'm not totally up on boost).
Electric motors produce what? Like really good RC brushless I think is around 35,000, tops.
Not to mention that motor couldn't reach top RPM with the fan on it.
And the fan owuldn't be oging fast enough or be big enough to "force" air into the engine like
Put it all together and you have that it doesn't add up.
Perhaps it COULD be possible to run a small amount of boost with an electric "turbo", but the way these ebay knockoff things go about it won't work.

Just my $.2

And if anyone wants to try some physics calcs you could try and figure out how to get it to work and make us all one.. please? haha
Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
ion has now officially earned his park bench spoiler.
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

What does this have to do with a spoiler, and why do guys get all horny over fiberglass so much?

I never said these "electric superchargers" caused enough pressure in the intake to compare with a "real" turbocharger or supercharger, not at all. All I was arguing was that the concept in fact WOULD WORK, even though the gain would be small.

Strtrydr, how did that go over my head? You were joking, I got it. Then, on a serious note, I said how I gave up on my search. It's pointless to spend all that money and do all that work for 5-10HP, if it even works.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 02-14-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
you want 5-10 hp (or more) for a reasonable price? Try a CAI and DHP PCM, and a good muffler. You'll at least get your money's worth out of it, and I can assure you that you WILL get a gain out of it.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote