Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 06-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #1781
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
I've just been driving it, and trying to figure out how to quiet it down. By the time I get home from the office, my ears are (figuratively) bleeding. Man, I'm getting old.
All about that Vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and the Walker quiet flow muffler. High flow, quiet as it can be for a full 3" setup.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #1782
homegrown
GX Member

homegrown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
All about that Vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and the Walker quiet flow muffler. High flow, quiet as it can be for a full 3" setup.
I don't think that'll do anything. It's reasonably quiet behind the car. I think it's the headers that amplify the noise so much.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #1783
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
I don't think that'll do anything. It's reasonably quiet behind the car. I think it's the headers that amplify the noise so much.
Weird. I would not have thought a closed system would generate that much external noise, regardless of how the tubing is shaped. Guess I don't know enough about sound production, really.

The only time my car was unbearably loud in-cabin leaving me with dulled hearing when I reached work was with open exhaust ending right under the firewall.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #1784
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced the front brake pads. Easiest brake job I have done in a while. Only minor surface rust, and the caliper slide bolts were NOT seized.

Haven't had that happen in a while!

That, and the new parts all fit good too. Still need to actually drive the car though.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #1785
Alero5065
GX Member

Alero5065 is on a distinguished road
subs and amp

Today i put in my 1500 watt amp with my 12in terminator subs, new speakers in the front and back later today i am going to hook up my led strips and set them up to change the color to the beat of the bass
Alero5065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #1786
homegrown
GX Member

homegrown is on a distinguished road
Not today, but last Monday I took a road trip out to Ohio, and lost nearly all of the oil from the engine on the way. It was a bit of a nail-biter.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #1787
[ion] C2
636 whp

I took the car to a shop a few weeks ago to install a used big brake kit, but they refused to install, citing brake lines being too rusty and safety concerns with the kit. Not sure why they don't like taking my money. If the brake lines are too rusty to remove, replace the whole shebang. Anything is possible.

So they said here's your car back, sorry we don't want to do it. Immediately on the drive home I found that shifting into 5th gear makes a terrible crunch/grind. Bad synchro out of the blue. $2,000 to R&R with new internals.

I have a well known racing radiator manufacturer building one for me to help keep my coolant temps perfect no matter what abuse I'm throwing down.

I have a Garrett intercooler, TiAl Q BOV, and a custom intake manifold to fabricate, just need the plenum holes for the runners machined out.

Progress is slow as money is tight. It's getting there.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #1788
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I passed an emissions test today.
Also noted that new brake pads, Wagner ZD752A seem to work as good as the OE brake pads.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #1789
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Car is all polished up and waiting for the Olds Club Nationals to start. Gonna be a wet one it looks like.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #1790
1970cs
GX Member

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Yep, scuba gear and 3 tow trucks pulling trucks and trailers out of the swap meet or should I say swamp meet.

3 Aleros so far.

Pat
1970cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #1791
1970cs
GX Member

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Ok I spotted number 4 driving away. A white body kit unit?
Anyways the photo all the Aleros together in the senior preservation class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 aleros.jpg (52.4 KB, 69 views)
1970cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #1792
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
There were 5 total at the show. Both were parked behind the Marriot hotel.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #1793
[ion] C2
636 whp

Alero's back to being my daily. In the middle of finalizing my fuel tuning for E54 since that's what's somewhat readily available from gas stations here. Better fuel economy than E85 and basically the same octane equivalent so whatever.

Still waiting to have things tuned properly and powerfully till the new intake manifold/75mm TB/intercooler/BOV are installed. And when I have money to do so.

Even so, people always trying to race but they just can't compete. It's funny rolling around lowered, tinted, on Forgelines. People are curious and quickly find out there's more to this car than it seems. It's fun to have the afterfire between shifts too. Boom!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #1794
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Admins have my IP blocked at work. JASPER Engines & Transmissions so I'm not on much, but it's certainly nice to see there is some activity around here still. I still have the intrigue running strong and dreams of another 5sp alero.
Any chance you could look in to it? I can't get one via ipod, or anything that runs through our servers. Was there some bad blood in the past maybe?

Homegrown- What the heck??? On that new motor build?? and I know with my 2.2, same exhaust header back, once I switched to the 4-2-1 header from the factory manifold the sound inside the car was terrible. Never got wrap on to see if it helped. Glad to hear your still hanging on to it too.

Oldsnut/oldsnut's old lady looking good in the f500's!!! What ever happened with baby blue's franken 500?

oldsman, sorry to hear, but life happens. Can't wait to see the gold day 'finished' one day.

Ion, one day I'd like to line up the SS with you. I'm sure that I'll end up looking at those big, ugly, tail lights but hey, there's no replacement for displacement. and I don't have anything extra done, bone stock.

The intrigue is now my daily, the SS is going to sit at home for now with 2! car seats installed. I don't mind, I still love the ol car. Just changed in some fresh amsoil last week 194xxx. Damn slow leak on the coolant crossover is driving me nuts. I see a lot of alero's around, all beat to crap. It makes me sad. One day... one day...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #1795
[ion] C2
636 whp

• My turbo manifold flange to the head bolts are breaking. Sigh. Need to extract and redo using Inconel studs and nuts, and make a bracket to hold the turbo, ideally.
  • My boost controller bracket broke again, so I made a new alternate design and put that on.
  • I finally installed an air filter after years with only a stainless screen mesh (a properly sized one with adequate open air %)
Bone stock doesn't mean anything - you can go buy a car that runs 10s if you have the money to. Taking a car you like and making it perform far beyond its original spec, now that's impressive. And yes, there would be no competition with the Chevy SS. Too bad I'm in Phoenix and you're in Indianapolis, unless you want to make a road trip and check out the sights and smooth roads of the southwest.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #1796
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I would love to make the trip, but that's not going to happen any time soon for me. Just like that extensive work to turbo something is just a dream. So far, while there are of course things I would like to do, the SS is the first car I have been happy with from the factory, in pretty well every aspect. While it's not one I ever seen on the roads around here, I would like too more to make it my own. It's a little more difficult with all integrated electronics on these newer cars, and the price tag is higher. I'm sure in the future when money and time become more available I will get something to truly make my own. Even though my last alero was a little rough around the edges, I took pride in it and enjoyed the work I had done. But man, as nice as it sounds... I'm getting too old for some of the crap on the floor, or leaning into the engine bay all day.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #1797
[ion] C2
636 whp

For sure. I wanted to get an SS.

I'm tired of working on cars so I try to have other people do the labor, but lately it's me again.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #1798
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I hear what you both are saying.... Mine's been done mostly by myself simply because i can't afford to payanyone to do the work... In turn my car is going on 7 years and still no where near done... Sigh... Eventually...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #1799
zzyzzx
GLS member

Drove the Alero for the last 2 weeks, and in that time period I replaced the battery (which was 4.5 years old) and noticed that the lower door speaker on the right side now sounds distorted. Otherwise the car went all over town and to New York and back just fine.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #1800
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Lets see......nothing has been done except for pcm work. Mainly due to my back surgery then wife had surgery for gall bladder and tumor and then to top 2018 of i had surgery again to have a tumor removed.......2018 = bad effing year period. But now its 2019 and im working and hope to have car done sometime this year.....hope. So i wont be going to nats thanks to 2018.

However i bought tristen his first car...........an its an 01 Alero GL with 82k on it..... And yes corners are cleared already and my old 8k HID are in it. Ill get some pics this weekend.