Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
3.4 exhaust questions..

How does one go about getting exhaust that sounds like Orions..

( http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...3CA992BDB2.htm )

Do you have to get all that piping and stuff done? or can you just buy a muffler and weld / bolt it on? Can this be done yourself?

Here's some mufflers ive found.. ( http://www.pitstopparts.com/performa...5&brandid=1859 )

Input would be great!
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If you can't weld, I don't think it's a good idea to do yourself, unless you have all the pipes in one piece, from that point, it's just a bolt onto the chassie. Exhasut systems virbate very much, and there is nothing you can do to stop that. If you could it's not a good idea anyway, they are meant to flex

I think Orion has a Flowmaster on his, but I don't remember the size. There is a few guys on here that have a good exhaust set up except for the size.

To just install a muffler would proabaly be about $50 to $75 bucks and doesn't take long at all. You could buy an exhaust kit for the Alero (SLP or Borla, but SLP is set up GA style) which still be about $75 to $100 to install. Getting a custom job might be a be more money, and the bends they use don't flow so well becasue of the bends. I forget the names of the bends, but an exhasut shop's bends will have rigdes on the inside bend which will slow exhaust flow (velicoty) SLP and Borla's bends are smooth all the way thru.

If you do go custom, go no bigger than 2.5 inches

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 08-07-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Boy those mufflers are expensive, buy a flowmaster 80 (Carmaro style) for almost 1/2 the price, or a Flowmaster 40.

Flowmaster has a Super 40 now. It has a black case, supposed to have a very aggressive tone. With my Flowmaster 80, no lie, some people thought it was a small V8

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
orion dont have flowmaster...... he has some cheap knockoff mufflers

i have flowmaster 40's on my car. best soundin 3400 ive heard in my opinion but of course im biased since its my car though. i do get lots of compliments on it though cuase it doesnt sound crappy even at full throttle like slp and borla do imo

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Can i just install a new muffler rather than putting on all new exhaust from the catalytic converter all the way out, or can I just remove the old muffler, cut some pipe off, install the muffler, and voila? My brother has a big ass welding machine here, so we can weld..

Any links to these mufflers you guys are talking about? I'm going to bed, i'll check back in in the morning, if not ill do a search for Flowmaster 40's..

Thanks for the info! n_n
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
yeah you can replace just the muffler, you don't have to do the complete cat back...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
ya you could, even magnaflow doesnt sound that bad at all. i would go for either flowmaster, magnaflow or borla for a really nice low tone sound
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Flowmaster is chambered, so is Borla (I think) but Mangaflow, which is made but Flowmaster, is a stright thru muffler with fiberglass inside, just like the rice mufflers, They just last longer

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
14alero
V.I.P. Member

14alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to 14alero
I like my SLP
14alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14alero
I like my SLP

well ya...... your a ricer

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog
Flowmaster is chambered, so is Borla (I think) but Mangaflow, which is made but Flowmaster, is a stright thru muffler with fiberglass inside, just like the rice mufflers, They just last longer

And sound WAY better than rice mufflers aswell.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
projectalero

Guys orion has a Vortech muffler. I just watched a video clip of his car. If i remember right i read in the forum that he had it installed at midas. I could be wrong.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 AM   #13
paradigm9
GX Member

paradigm9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
orion dont have flowmaster...... he has some cheap knockoff mufflers

i have flowmaster 40's on my car. best soundin 3400 ive heard in my opinion but of course im biased since its my car though. i do get lots of compliments on it though cuase it doesnt sound crappy even at full throttle like slp and borla do imo

sweet, what series of flowmaster 40 do you have? delta, amer. thunder, or super? and what size inlet should i get. i just want to replace my muffler with something better sounding and put a nice tip on it.
paradigm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
Orion

You are correct, I got a Vortech Muffler put on my car. It came in Thunder Birds years back and it has custom piping from Mieneke.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah, just noticed, but Redog, that isn't really true about the bends. Most decent shops have mandrel benders.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
I have a cheapy from ebay. Sounds alright. People have asked if its a V8. its been on there for 2 years now and it hasn't fallen off yet.

BTW, it was free and free to install, and I really had no say in the matter, thats why its on there.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote