Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
deemer
GX Member

deemer is an unknown quantity at this point
So i'm looking for a cheap way to save gas and I came across these intakes on ebay. They work out to around $40-50us after shipping to canada. Can anyone tell me if the kit with the chrome heat shield is worth the extra 10 or not?? I have listed both kits for ur viewing and commenting pleasure....

ebay kit with chs

ebay kit without chs
deemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Orion

Ok heres what you do if your looking for Air Filters or Warm Air Intakes. If you want an Air Filter. go to Pepboys and purchase a K&N Cone. If your looking to get into WAI's. Warm Air Intakes. Do a search, many ppl use and have them. I perfer the Cold Air Intake system from Dr Speed.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

_01Alero_ is an unknown quantity at this point
The only question that I have about the Dr.Speed 3pc CAI is if it is the same thing as the 60 dollar 3pc CAI's on ebay. Here is a link to one that I have been thinking about purchasing, and I don't see a difference between the two, and the one on ebay is a hell of a lot cheaper. So your input?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
_01Alero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Orion

Yep there is a big difference it uses a simple, nothing crazy, "The ChromeINTAKES Filter " and the Dr Speed Uses a K&N Filter. Trust me K&N Filters are the best of the best on the market. And go for 50 bucks alone in stores.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

If Im not mistaken, if you get the ChromeINTAKE CAI, then can't you get a K&N filter to go on it for cheaper than buying the Dr Speed intake?

Also, is it really a problem to get the 3pc Intake with water? Ive seen some posts, but I can't seem to find them.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
^haha, he got you there. Yeah you could just buy the cheap ebay one, and put a K&N filter on it. My 2.4 had a cheap ebay intake and a different filter, APC to be exact.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Man that was broken english on my part...."Also, is it really a problem to get the 3pc Intake with water?".... God im horrible. Anyway, what I was TRYING to ask is. I have heard that if you get the 3 pc intake that there is a possibility of getting water into your engine and needless to say F*cK it up. I DONT want that happening, so I don't want to get the 3pc if it will do that. My car is a daily driver and I want it to sound nice and have a nice increase in hp and gm, but don't want to run the risk of flooding the engine.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
unless you drive through a creek, you're not going to flood the engine...
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 AM   #9
paradigm9
GX Member

paradigm9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have also seen people put on bypass valves inline with the cai that closes off incoming air when it senses water. I think aem makes them.
paradigm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
projectalero

I just put the Ebay 3 piece system on my car. You are correct, you can get the K&N with it. The system is about $85 when you get the K&N. It sounds really good. As for your fear of hydrolocking the engine, i live in florida and it practically floods every day here in orlando, but i have had no trouble at all with mine. The filter sits right beside the washer fluid bottle in the fenderlining. The bottle actually gets in the way when installing the intake or taking out the factory intake. But back to your point, no it wont pick up water easily.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Ok cool. I actually bought a CAI off of SweetNLow. I haven't received it yet, but once I get it installed I'll put up pics on my post. I appreciate the help...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
ItsMeScottG
GX Member

ItsMeScottG is on a distinguished road
I just bought this Cold Air Intake for my GrandAm last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330869794676... 4.m1439.l2649

Mods: SC/T Spoiler, Tinted Out 20%, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT System, Live Traffic, XM Radio, Rear-view Camera, Black Front Bra, black bumper grille, Black Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote