Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
HDR
GX Member

HDR is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator Swap - Cannot get rear bolt!! Help!

I'm trying to change the alternator on my 2000 Alero with a 2.4, no matter what I try, I cannot get a socket to fit onto the rear bolt. Part of the alt seems to be blocking it from going in straight. Is there some special tool i need?? Or am I just missing something super simple?

Last edited by HDR : 09-05-2006 at 09:18 PM.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
On my 00' Alero 2.4, there are two upper bolts and two lower bolts. I accessed both lower bolts be removing the right fender liner and getting them with a wrench. All you have to do is loosen them, not take them out all the way! (I learned the hard way)
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried a universal joint adapter? I may have the wrong picture in my mind.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
no special tool needed. just some patience and a wrench. i think the intake manifold gets in the way you just have to work around it.

it's hard to remember being i haven't had the stock setup for like 3 yrs.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
HDR
GX Member

I'm an idiot! Been going at the belt tensioner bolt instead of the alt bolt hidden behind the manifold...

Got the alternator out, had it tested, its good. What else can cause my battery to die, and not to even have enough power to keep the engine running when I press the brakes or turn on any lights? By this time, I lose all gauges and anything else that runs on electricty.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
LOL..................we have days like that.

first i would check connections at the battery and then have have the battery tested. if all that is good maybe have a load test done
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
HDR
GX Member

Battery was tested, connections super-tightened, alt, battery, connections all good.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
i would clean up your grounds. that is a common problem as far as electrical systems go.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

then i would use a meter and see if are getting a short some where. check at the fuse box and the starter.

sounds like you have a short. if you have a stereo system check every single wire for it.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
HDR
GX Member

After putting the alt back in, everything seems good. Checked at the alternator and battery with a multimeter, was getting 13.75V, drove around with it connected to the cig lighter plug and the voltage varied from 13.27v to 14.23v at different RPMs and loads. Are these numbers normal?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
those are normal numbers. especially because it's above 12V.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
HDR
GX Member

Ran it again and it dropped to 12.72v suddenly and then dropped to 11.93 volts slowly while driving. What can cause the alternator to suddenly start and stop working? It was still 11v at the alt bolt when I tested it after I got home.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

maybe bad belt
Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
HDR
GX Member

The alt was spinning fast when I tested it, directly from the alt wire, the belt is new and really tight.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

does it do good when cold but after it runs for awhile it starts dropping?

if so i would still say alternator.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #16
HDR
GX Member

Can't test anymore, traded alt for core fee. New one works great, so I guess it was the alt. Just wondering if I could have rebuilt it myself with a $40 rebuild kit instead of paying $110 for a new one.