Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 07-19-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
ShortysTRM

Thumbs down

I ordered it special order from summitracing with ceramic coating for only 221.99. The non-ceramic part number is 70-1274 and they can tell you the one for ceramic coated. Has anyone else bought this header and had problems/good luck with it? I will tell you how it goes! As of now, all we have is the AEM intake, as seen in the video I posted a while ago. Hopefully, this will be easy to install and we will have good before and after comparison videos. Anyone know how hard this might be to install or what kind of gains I might see...? I know the TOG and S&S headers show great gains on the 3.4, but have never heard anything about this header and we don't have a 3.4 anymore. We may keep most of the rest of the exhaust stock, just to keep it quiet...the 3.4 we had was loud and my GA is loud, so we may go for quiet this time.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
|Rev|

Well let me know how it works, i've thought about it myself, but I do know that a pacesetter exaust and header on my friends 280 ZX adds a grand total of about 5 or 6 horsepower, so that's convinced me that these headers supposedly made by "ferrari" arnt all they are said to be.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
ShortysTRM

that sounds a little fishy...even a generic header and exhaust should add more then that. I would be skeptikal of either your friend's butt dyno or chassis dyno. I saw an episode or sports car revolution where they built an exhaust for a kia and it only made 9 HP, but it was pieced together and had to be smog legal. They said it comes with 2.25" piping all the way to the cat, so it's a good start.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
The pacesetter isnt a bad piece. It adds flow and you will notice a difference around 3000 rmp. The header comes to a three inch collector so I tapered it down to 2 and 1/2. inch exaust before a high flow cat. It works great but remember to have the o2 sensor placed in the collector. When I ordered mine they only made the header for the cav so the o2 was on the wrong side. Just make sure if it is the header for the cav that the o2 is tapped on the oppsite side. If you havent orderd the header yet see if you can get a hold of pacesetter and get the one for the n-body. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:30 AM   #5
|Rev|

^
^
Yeah I thought it should add more too, but that's what the dyno results said in his "Z" magazine. Where did you order your headers from?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
ShortysTRM

I ordered mine from summit...it's actually made for the Grand Ams and Aleros, but I think it's just a modified cavy header. I have heard that pacesetter rusts very fast, but I got the ceramic coated one so I hope that helps. Does anyone know what kind of gains to expect from this header? Also, is it a 4 into 1 or a 4-2-1 header?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
pacesetter are 4-1 headers.

far as gains i have heard 10-15 hp. but more realisct would be 5-8 whp. but it depends on what other mods you have.

our exhaust manfolds are very restrictive but so is the exhaust ports on our heads. so with header your only taking care of half the problem.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:09 AM   #8
Spy

My car was the R&D car for pacesetter.

It's just a cavalier header w/ the o2 sensor grommet moved 90degrees to the opposite side. You just have to extend the 1 or 2 wires for the 02 sensor depending on your year.

It's funny the cavalier piece fits perfectly.. heh...

I just sold mine though. Cars on jackstands waiting for my tuner to finish w/ his wedding and honeymoon shiyet...
Old 08-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
|Rev|

any updates on how this worked out?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #10
ShortysTRM

Part has been coated and shipped out to Summit, but it has not yet arrived at Summit. We found out that they make a turbo manifold for Mitsubishi Eclipses and ordered it for the Mitsu from the videos on our website (atabo.com). We ordered the coated version from Summit...it was in stock and arrived in 2 days. It's actually very pretty. It was only like $260 and looks like polished stainless. It's quite heavy, too. We are fairly impressed with it, but have yet to attempt to install it. We may wait and have a mechanic do it.

I'm just curious, why'd you take your's off? We have a 2001, so what do we need to do to the o2?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #11
ShortysTRM

Well, still no reply from him, I guess. We got the header yesterday and I must say it's not bad for the money. The finish on it is good, there is a flex joint on it already, the collector looks well made, and the inside of the ports that bolt to the head have been grinded back out after the welding was complete, which is one thing that was not done to the one for the Eclipse Turbo. Now I dunno whether to DIY or call a mechanic. You have to weld, so that kinda sucks.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
|Rev|

well my male perental unit (dad) is a genius when it comes to welding, so I may have him install the header for me (oh yeah, I got a pacesetter one off ebay) but all I need is a lift to use, because we cant do it with just jacks, well not as good of a job as we'd hoped.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 PM   #13
Spy

mine was sold due to super duper upgrade reasons...

I found something better to go in place of a header, it's sort of like a hairdryer...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #14
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Spy@Aug 19 2004, 09:03 PM
I found something better to go in place of a header, it's sort of like a hairdryer...
Is it.... a hair dryer? :unsure:

Oh wai
Old 08-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #15
ShortysTRM

ATTENTION!!

Ok...I didn't know whether or not to start a new thread for this, so I will just propose it and see how how everyone reacts:

I think most of you have seen the intake before and after video that I did for the 2.4L AEM intake. Now that we have gotten this header, I have been trying to think of what to do to showcase this product...what better way than put it on the dyno?? Here's where you guys come in. I still have to pay the credit card bill for this header, plus pay to have somewhere install it, then have it welded by an exhaust shop. If I could get some of you guys to donate some money, we could do this and settle it once and for all. The dyno runs are $100 for 4 runs. They will likely allow me to do a before run, an after run, and possibly another run after we get a new muffler put on (or the rest of the exhaust). If they will only allow me to break it down into 2 sessions, I will do 2 before and 2 after. This could be a great thing for all of us if some people will just pitch in (and propose a way to transfer funds...maybe PayPal?), we can see what type of gains we are really getting. I can pay something like $20-30, but the rest is up to you guys. I'm stuck with the header now so I don't care how much power I get from it as long as I don't lose any, but for those of you who are planning on purchasing this header, or just considering, a little bit of money could save you a lot in the long run. Pleas etell me what you guys think of this and do so ASAP so we can possibly arrange something. I do not want to receive any payments until I know we can get enough together, as I don't want to have to go through the trouble of returning peoples' money. :thumbsup: