Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
madgangstakyze
GX Member

madgangstakyze is an unknown quantity at this point
exhaust question

I jus bought another alero, its a 2001 GX 5-Speed...and its got a Pacesetter header to a small cat then two fart cans...so basically its really raspy and i have barley have any back pressure..

so my question is, if i get a magnaflow cat and a resonator would that be alright sounding and give me some of my bottom end back???
madgangstakyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the resonator will improve the sound. far as back pressure in order to get rid of it you would have to be running 3" exhaust.

the cat and resonator will not do anything for back pressure. mainly your exhaustr pipe size and muffle will determine it.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
if you want more "back pressure" try a chambered muffler like a flowmaster 80 instead of a straight through like magnaflow.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
you don't want backpressure, what you're looking for is velocity. if you're going to be strictly bolt ons. Change the entire catback to 2.25inch inlet/outlet cat convertor, and a 2.25 inch exhaust, w/ a magnaflow straight through muffler.

By adding backpressure you're stuffing up your ability to flow when you start getting up in the revs. These motors aren't exactly torque monsters, but they're no slouch either for a 4cyl. These motors aren't meant to be pulling anything either.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
madgangstakyze
GX Member

Thanks for the input guys, its greatly appricated..i went to the shop today and got a glass pack, its jus temperary until i decide what i wanna do for exhaust....i got another quick question...my 2nd gear is really sluggish i can run out first and 2nd just drags, what would cause this???
Old 03-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
spyhunter
GL Member

it's a 5spd? Second gear just drags? how many miles is on this car? what are the exact mods on your motor?

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter, spark plugs, oil change rituals?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
madgangstakyze
GX Member

yeah its a 5spd. its got B&M short throw, crome alternator and crank pulley, 65mm throttle body, wai, header back exhaust, NGK iridium spark plugs, MSD ignition, Jet power control module, and a 160 amp alternator...yeah i can first to 4.5 grand then slam second and it bogs down till about three grand
Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
spyhunter
GL Member

is this when you're racing? If then you shift at about 6000-6200rpm, the gear change will keep you in about 3500rpm.

You're just out of the powerband, there's nothing wrong. You don't race below 3000rpm.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
madgangstakyze
GX Member

yeah thats true, i never thought about that..i dunno its just seems like its slower than my automatic
Old 03-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgangstakyze View Post
yeah thats true, i never thought about that..i dunno its just seems like its slower than my automatic
Try shifting at red line then see how you like it. Obviously you'll be shifting earlier with just normal driving, but while racing at WOT you shouldn't be shifting any lower than red line.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
madgangstakyze
GX Member

yeah that works, i guess im not too used to drivin a 5spd yet..but thanks guys i appriciate your help, ill try not to bug ya that much

Last edited by madgangstakyze : 03-13-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
I have had my 99 2.4 Alero for bout 2 years and the only heavy modifications I have done has been cosmetic. What my prob is I can't seem to find the right performance parts for my alero, so can I get some help.
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
I have had my 99 2.4 Alero for bout 2 years and the only heavy modifications I have done has been cosmetic. What my prob is I can't seem to find the right performance parts for my alero, so can I get some help.
Don't look for parts for just an Alero. Search for parts for a 2.4L Z24 Cavalier also. That's where you'll find most of your aftermarket performance parts.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Don't look for parts for just an Alero. Search for parts for a 2.4L Z24 Cavalier also. That's where you'll find most of your aftermarket performance parts.

Say man I saw your ride first on cardomain and I was was like man thats one bad 2.4 LD9. To be honest I really only do bodywork but now I am focusing in my engine. I want to upgrade my alero with the best performance parts out there. Its just some websites I dont seem to trust so thats why i ask.

So far this is what I have seen

-Performance headers @ PFYC.com
-Mantapart intake manifolds but they had a variety of manifolds so I got confused
-Many different types of pulleys like PFYC.com chrome alternator and crank and also one named a unorthodox pulley

But Iam glad you replied cause your the one I want to ask. Where should I start bro?
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Ive always thought an intake and exhaust, new lighter wheels, and a short throw if its a stick is the best start. Thats the way i was headed with my zx2 untill i wreaked it...